Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:13 PM   #451

wirraway-

Yes, we have indeed been to the same watering holes.

BTW, The Canon S-2IS test photo has been added to our test panel.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:12 PM   #452

Small world, indeed.

Nice shot, Wirraway and thanks for sharing your experiences in the Philippines.

So, I've been looking for reviews of the FZ18 and found some interesting write-ups about it. Apparently, the lens is the best of all long zoom cameras (I already expected those findings since it's a Leica lense), producing razor sharp images corner to corner at bothfull zoom and WA style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"with no barrel distortion (very impressive indeed!). Now, the bad news is that it looks like dynamic range is compromised due to the small size sensor and noise continues to be a big problem. It already sounds like another no-go if the most popular reviews confirm that. Perhaps I'll have to wait for the second generation (or forthe new Casio 12x zoom with a CMOS sensor that's being developed).

As for the H2, you guys are making me think about getting one on eBay. When compared to my H1, it has 1 extra Mp and higher ISO. The LCD is smaller but I rarely use it anyway. The good thing is, I don't need to buy any extras since I already have tons of accessories from my H1. I agree with you, Sarah, about the H2 having the ideal pixel for its sensor.One of the reasons the H1 produces such greatimages is because of its 5 Mpsensor.I think anything above 6 Mp will affect IQ unless the sensor size is increased.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:12 PM   #453

Hi there again-

After adding the Canon S-2IS image to the test panel just now. I have to say that it too, is right up there with the FZ-7, and H-2.

Please take a look and tell me what you think. I was surprised.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:21 PM   #454

Tullio-

Here is a H-2 photo that I took this morning, thanks to our lack of fog, that really shows what the Sony H-2 can do. Its pretty good for a camera selling for around $200 on E-Bay right now.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:25 PM   #455

Sarah, I would still say the H2 is the winner, the F7,H5 and CanonS2 are all very close as well as runner up.

Tullio, I was looking at STF earlier and one of your office supply chains in the U.S. have the H2 at $199 for your long weekend there.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:19 PM   #456

Well, Tullio-

What do you think? Did the Canon S-2IS beat the Sony H-2? Personally, I don't think so. But then, that is only my opinion.

I now have 3 H-2 cameras if you are looking for one.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:29 PM   #457

Hi Sarah, that's a tough call. Both the H2 and S2 performed very well. I think the S2 has a slight edge over the H2 but that could be due to lighting. The H2 image is a bit over exposed when compared to the S2. I also feel that the book titles are easier to read on the S2 photo (again, a lot less glare, which could potentially mean that the S2 has a slightly better dynamic range than the H2.However, both cameras did a great job. My question to you is, has this test changed your impressions of the H9? To me, it confirmed what I've been seeing from other people's postings. Some people manage to obtain decent images w/ the H9 at full 15x zoom but there is no consistency (that's also what I've been saying). So, if you ask em, I'd say based on this simple test that the H9 failed to perform and it isclose tothe bottom of the list doing just slightly better than the Oly 550. I think that as long as you don't use its full zoom (or perhaps if you are shooting outdoors with lots and lots of light) the H9 performs OK but there is a reason for dpreview not to recommend it. I'm curious to read your thoughts.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:07 AM   #458

Tullio-

Perhaps the best idea would be to do another test between the S-2 and the H-2 under exactly the same lighting conditions. To my eye, the S-2 and the H-2 are very close.

Regarding the H-9, I was not surprised with the results. The camera does well under good lighting, as in the yacht anchorage photo that Gary posted. When the photo environment becomes less than ideal, the H-9 cannot perform like the H-2 and H-5.

The factor that makes the H-2 more desireable to me than the S-2 are the ergonomics. I prefer the control layout and handling of the H-2 to the S-2. However, I am sure that is more a matter of personal preference.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:05 PM   #459

OK-

Here is the re-test of the Canon S-2 and the Sony H-2. These were taken one right after the other, so we have exactly the same lighting.

First the Canon S-2

Second the Sony H-2

I think the Sony H-2 takes it by the smallest margin.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:52 PM   #460

Pic I took covering a fund raiser. Only thing I don't like is the shadow on the guys head/face. I took over 500 shots and just about every one of them I have someone walking in the shot I was going to take.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote