Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:54 PM   #461

A baby pic.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:32 PM   #462

That Baby Picture is great, Cyber-

That is going to be one big dog. Just look at the size of his or her paws!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:38 PM   #463

For Tullio-

Jeff Keller over at www.dceresource.com is going to be publishing a professional review of the Pana FZ-18. He has already posted some of the photos that he will use in the review. I have attached a photo taken at the full 18X optical zoom. It is a tele-macro and it shows a lot of excellent detail.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:51 PM   #464

Hi Sarah,I still go for the S2 over the H2 by a very small margin. However, looking at the EXIF data of the two images, I'd say the camera settings are not comparable. The H2was set with high contrast and sharpness while the S2 was not. Isee the H2 was set to ISO 400, which is too high and probably had something to do with the overall lack ofsharpness (I find the book titles a bit sharper on the S2image). For some reason, the ISO value is not available on the 2 shot. The othertwo factors against the H2 were aperture (an f4.0ona fixed lens camera will produce a sharper image than an f3.7and that's what the S2 was set to) and speed (1/80 on S2vs. 1/60 on H2).I also noticed that the WB was not set the same (at least according to the EXIF data). So, in case you still have the S2 available, I'd run one more test as follows (this applies to both cameras):

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. Set to A mode (f4.0)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. Set picture effects to normal (sharpness, contrast and saturation)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3. Set ISO to the lowest value on each camera. If you don't have enough light, increase the ISO equally on both cameras until you reach an acceptablevalue.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"4. Set WB to AUTO

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"5. Set JPEG compression to FINE

Let's keep in mind that the H2 has an extra Mp over the S2. A more fair comparison would be the H2 against the S3. The S2 is equivalent to the H1.

Cyber, good shot with a good looking German Shepperd.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:00 AM   #465

Cute puppy, Cyber.

Thanks for the info. about dcresource reviewing the FZ18. I'm not in synch with Jeff. He is a Canon guy and very biased toward Canon brand. I also find his reviews very superficial with lots of limitations. Although I don't care too much for the dpreview forums, I find their reviews to bevery thorough as well as the imaging-resource ones. So, I won't make any decisions until I read at least one of these two reviews of the FZ18. However, it is very encouraging to see very good quality images coming out of the camera.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:30 AM   #466

Good observation on Sarah's camera test Tullio, agree with another test as you suggested if Sarah does not mind. nice shots from your Canon DSLRCyberf828.

Horseshoe Bay after sunset, Bowen, Nth Queensland, Camera: Sony DSC-H5
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:44 AM   #467

DesertedTownsville railway station late at night.Camera: Sony DSC-F707 f/2 @ ISO 200 hand held.
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:08 AM   #468

Tried to frame one of the pic I posted on My tread BIF...

Do you think I can add frames to my captured pics? Is this looks okay or shall a post the pics without it.

Thanks for the advise...

icecoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:20 AM   #469

Good Morning to all-

Tullio-

Thanks for your post. Today is a busy day for me as I have a class to teach and several sessions of one on one to do as well. So look for it either this afternoon or tomorrow. I noticed that you made no comment about the FZ-18 photo. I can knock off my seach for 18X optical zoom photos from the FZ-18, if you desire. I was attempting to help out.

Wirraway-

Those photos look great. I am a big fan of the Sony F-series cameras, as I used to own a F-717. The night photo was especially good.

Carlos-

The Bee macro looks good. I feel the framming is fine and sort of "dresses up" the photo nicely. I am glad to see that you are enjoying the H-9.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:02 PM   #470

Carlos, IMHO your frame is overdone and detracts from the image, I finda simple black or white framesworks well. example below.