Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:02 PM   #471

Here are are today's (09/04/07) results of the camera test, done exactly per your requested parameters.

I hope they are useful. 'Gotta dash!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:52 PM   #472

Hi Sarah, yes, I did comment on the dcresource mention you made (see a few entries back. I did not comment on the picture per say but I did thank you for doing the research. I went to the dcresource siteand could not find the image you posted. As I mentioned, I will reserve my comments till I read the dpreview or imaging-resource reviews.

As for the comparison shots, the H2 image nowappears to be better than the S2 butthe EXIF data still shows differences between the two camera settings. The H2 has an Ev of -0.3 while the S2 is 0. The aperture was not set to f4.0, so the H2took f3.7while the S2 set tof3.5 (close but not the same).The shutter speed was 1/20 on both cameras, which is too low for a full zoom image. I don't believe you used a tripod because the images are not that sharp.

Wirraway, a couple of comments about your recent postings...the beach shot is nice but I think in the process of removing noise, you also removed a lot of detail.The sand looks funny, typical result of noise reduction effect. The night shot of the railway station looks real good! As for the black puppy, I prefer the original exposure (but that's pure personal preference).

Icecoldblue, I liked the picture andthe frame (although I do agree with Wirraway that a single frame - not necessarily black or white - will look better).

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:26 PM   #473

Tullio-

I hope that you will excuse me if I say that, I give up. There was no mention that I should change from handheld, as all the previous tests were done, to a tripod in your post, only the request that I use the lowest possible ISO setting. Which I did indeed do.

I apologize this has really been a busy day, and i have been on the run all day. However, I did my very best for you following your post quite carefully. I think we will have to leave at that, by saying: that the S-2 and the H-2 are indeed very close to each other in tems of resolution.

Even though I own both cameras, I prefer the H-2.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:15 PM   #474

The only reason I mentioned the use of a tripod is because a shutter speed of 1/20 is way too low for a focal length of 432mm. The RoT for shutter speed is 1/focal length. Now, on cameras with IS, this rule does not apply 100% butI'd say it should not go less than 2 to 2 1/2 fstops, tops.But, I did mention that ISO should gradually increase ifthere was not enough light until you got a reasonable shutter speed. In any case, I can see the frustration on your previous post.This is supposed to be a fun exercise, not a stressful one. Thanks for taking the time inpostingthe images. They were very helpful in knowing the capabilities of these cameras and more important, toconfirm that the H9 is really a problem camera, despite Nick's efforts to prove otherwise.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:05 AM   #475

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
Carlos, IMHO your frame is overdone and detracts from the image, I finda simple black or white framesworks well. example below.

Cyberf828,I used your pup photo at the top of this pageto give Carlos an idea of simple framingkeeping the longest edge to 800pixels, alsogave your pup some shadow/higlight tool treatment while I was at it.

1. Crop or reduce imageto 760x560 pixels, 2. Canvas size 765x565 pixels (black), 3.Canvas size 800x600 pixels (white)
Thanks Wirraway - I will try your recommendation to "simplify it" so that the taken image will be the main attraction and not the frame.

Cheers!!!
icecoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:02 AM   #476

Sarah, I really appeciate the effort you have gone to with the test of the S2 H2, the shots aregood enough for mine and agree that the H2 has it by the slimmest of margins, well done.

Tullio, agree with your summary of the beach shot, it was taken too far after sunset and had noise that I had to clean up. We wentdown to Bowen (2 hrs south of Townsville)that day becauseof the making of the movie "Australia" starring Hugh Jackman & Nichole Kidman, the movie is setduring the late 1930's early 40's and the town of Bowenhas been transformed to look like Darwin at that time, shooting went for 6 weeks with a further 3 weeks in Darwin itself, this is the most expensive picture made in Australia US$150 million and is due for world release next year.

The Wife was dissapointed she did not spot Nichole but did spot Jackman and Bryan Brown, was very hard to get any shots as it was a closed set with photography forbidden. Camera: Sony DSC-H5 + Olympus B300 1.7x teleconverter (734mm)

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:31 AM   #477

Good Morning to all-

Many thanks, Wirraway for taking us right on to the set of the movie "Australia." That was fun. We are fog free this morning as you can see from this photo.

There is just a small fringe of fog still hugging the south rocks which are over a mile away from us.

Looking to the north, our neighbor's house which is about 3/8 of a mile away is sitting in full sunshine. So it should be a very nice day here. These are all H-2 photos.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:50 AM   #478

Nice shot, Wirraway! Don't you hate to take pictures when photography is forbidden? On my last visit to the UK, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral. In previous visits I was able to walk around and take pictures freely. Now, not only pictures are forbidden (with or w/o flash), but they also charge L$10 (I don't have the pound symbol on my keyboard) to visit. I managed to take a few shots of the ceiling and a couple of walls but they all turned out bad.

Here's a shot from the Ferry Tower in SF (DSC-H1).
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:54 AM   #479

Nice shots of a beautiful place, Sarah. That H2 produces very nice images indeed. Did you say you have multiple H2s? If so, would you consider selling any of them? It might just have the improvements I want over the H1. Now, how about the H9? I would expect you to be taking lots of pictures with it. I know you were anxiously waiting to receive it. Is it going back on eBay? Just curious!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:07 PM   #480

Tullio-

Yes, I have several H-2 cameras. I like the H-2 a lot. Yes, I am open to an offer, as I don't see a direct need for 3 of them.

Concerning the H-9: yes, it is a disappointment, and I will probably e-bay it. Of the H-2, H-5, and the H-9, I find myself using the H-2 most of the time.

Yes, it is nice to see some nice weather once again. We will be getting out and enjoying it for sure. Have a great day, Tullio!

Sarah Joyce