Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:20 PM   #481

Quote:
Nice shot, Wirraway! Don't you hate to take pictures when photography is forbidden? On my last visit to the UK, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral. In previous visits I was able to walk around and take pictures freely. Now, not only pictures are forbidden (with or w/o flash), but they also charge L$10 (I don't have the pound symbol on my keyboard) to visit. I managed to take a few shots of the ceiling and a couple of walls but they all turned out bad.
Tullio, Yes it was very fraustrating being told you can't take photo's, this was the 1st time it happened to me. After a 4 hour round trip was very disapointed. Good crisp shot of the clock tower, nice work.

The advantage of getting the H2 over the H1 as I understand is better control of the flash and able to use higher ISO.

Rural scene west of Brisbane, S.E. Queensland.Camera: Sony DSC-F707

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:22 PM   #482

Sarah, good to see you having fine weather at last, nice shots from your neck of the woods.

Miles of deserted beach 30 min drivenorth of Townsville, Nth Queensland. Camera: Sony DSC-H5
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:38 PM   #483

Hello Wirraway-

That is a beautiful beach photo. You have a warmer climate than we do. Our high temp today will only be 73 degrees.

I finished by noon today, so I wanted to pit the Sony H-2 against my KM 5D DSLR camera and here are results:

H-2

KM 5D

I think the H-2 holds up rather nicely. It also proves that the IS is better than the AS (anti-shake) on the Konica Minolta 5D.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:33 AM   #484

Nice shots, Wirraway. I particularly liked the rural picture. The colors, texture and composition are excellent.

This sunrise photo I took while going to work one day. I stopped a t a vista point but by the time I got there, the sun was already above the clouds. I was not happy!
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:27 AM   #485

Hello Tulio, Sarah, Wirraway and the rest of you guys....

My picture share for the day.... a green plant and some buddies...

How I wish to get more a little bit closer....

Mabuhay!!!!

icecoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:20 AM   #486

Hi Icecoldblue, nice shot! I'd have knocked the exposure down by -0.3 or even -0.7 to eliminate the over exposure on some of the leaves. The two facts I find very interesting in photography as far as exposure is concerned, is regarding leaves (bushes and trees) and blue sky. One would think thatwith leaves being dark green, they would underexpose and theblue sky being so brightit would over exposed. But in fact, it's exactly the opposite. Leaves tend to reflect a lot of light so you always have tocut down the exposureto avoid blown highlights and whenever photographing a deep blue sky, you need to increase the exposure or the image will be too dark. Anyway, you probably know all this already...sorry!

As for getting closer, that'swhen a tele converter comes to play. I don't know which is the recommendedtele for the H9. The Sony VCL-DH1758 works real well with theH1-H5 cams. You might want to check it out. I have one andI find it to bevery very good. Many people also use the Olympus TCON 17. Both are 1.7x. I have the TCON 14B also, which is one of the best tele converters I've ever used but it's only a 1.45x. I bought it primarily to usewith my Panasonic FZ20. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:58 AM   #487

Good Morning to all-

Carlos-

The butterfly shot is impressive. However, I really do agree with Tullio. If you had used EV -0.7 for that butterfly shot, the exposure would have been much more accurate, and you would have a better photo. The green foilage would look better, and the sky a bit darker as well.

Tullio-

Yep, it was all a matter of timing with that sunrise shot. Too bad you could not have gotten out of the flow of traffic a bit sooner. But, not to worry. We have all had things like that happen to us. Tullio, don't count the H-1 out. Take a look at the attached photo. It will knock your socks, off, and yes, it was taken with a H-1.

Wirraway-

Two great photos. I especially like the rural scene west of Brisbane.

Well another clear summer/fall day here in Oregon. That will be a real treat.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:32 AM   #488

Sarah, the traffic was not the deterrent...it was just a matter of timing, really. Usually the sky is clear sothere's nothingspecial about the sunrise. This cloud formationwas an exception. As for my H1, I love that camera and will never get rid of it.Eventually I will give it to my son. The thing is, the ISO goes up to 400 only andat this setting,the images are pretty muchunusable. Having the higher ISO (and the H2 does)is certain a plus when light conditions are poor. The other improvement is the extra megapixel.The LCD on the H2issmaller but Inever use it anyway, so it does not matter.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:13 PM   #489

Nice shotsSarah, Tullio and Carlos,keep them coming.

Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:23 PM   #490

Good capture, Wirraway, considering the circumstances.