Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:22 PM   #491

Wirraway-

I certainly do agree with, Tullio! I guess you would call that taking photos on the fly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:56 AM   #492

Agree the shot aboveis not the best,being under the influence at the timedid not help as well. :-)

Anothershotalso taken in the Philippinesat Shoe-Mart mall, Bacoor, Manila, with the wife's little P&S (note not many people with shopping bags), Camera: Sony DSC-W100 @ ISO 800
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:20 AM   #493

Well I just had a good morning I just found out two of my photos ended up in the local paper when I did the Dog festival, Yahoo.....
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:02 PM   #494

Good Morning to all-

Cyber-

Firstly, hearty congratulations for landing several of your photos in the newspaper. Well done!

Wirraway-

That is a photo that give a real sense of the Holiday hustle and bustle that we see so very often, and do not take the time to capture the moment. very nicely done, Ian.

Well, it is moderately foggy this morning. However it is supposed to burn off as the day goes onward. It is probably a by-product of the very warm (78 degrees F) weather that we had yesterday. Here is another nice H-9 macro. The H-9 seems to be much better on the wide end of the lens as oppossed to the long end of that lens.

Have a wonderful day!

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:30 PM   #495

While in the UK, I attempted to take a picture of a candy display in a mall in Lincoln but I was approached by a security person who told me that photography was not allowed inside the mall. Vary sad days we are living!

Sarah, did you take that H9 photo? It is way over sharpened, IMO.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:23 PM   #496

No, Tullio-

...I did not take that H-9 photo. The fog came back in densely so it is from my file of H-9 photos. BTW, I looked and looked for Page 3 of the Pentax Flash Tutorial and have not been able to find it for you. It was done over a year ago and I have since shanged computers twice. Those two factors have seemed to bury it in cyber space.

I am writing a Canon S-5IS flash tutorial this weekend. I will post it in the Canon point and shoot folder. Perhaps that might be helpful to you. It basically will apply to al external flashes and Slave Flashes that have a tilt and swivel capability. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:41 AM   #497

Thanks for trying to find that paper, Sarah. Actually, myK100 is in the shop. I sent it to Pentax over 3 weeks ago to have the exposure checked out. They certainly take their sweet time. Luckily I have my R1!

Talking about the R1, here's a shot I took in Pacifica, North of Half Moon Bay, CA.
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:53 AM   #498

thanks you guys... actually the butterfly and his friend is so little that I had to crop it to give more focus on them. I did a little PP on it..

Maybe next time I woudl capture the perfect picture.... anyway I just new to photography and I guess am learning fast.. though I do not intend to make money out of it... its just a hobby for me....

thanks for the comments and advise guys...

see ya ol later..
icecoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:51 AM   #499

We're all learning here (to one degree or another), Icecoldblue. Every new camera has its own challenges and there's always a learning curve one has to go through, despite one's knowledge of photography principals. One advantage of high megapixel cameras is that you can crop the image quite a bit and still obtain good results. However, when camera manufacturers cramp up high megapixels in small sensors, the image quality deteriorates to the point where cropping can produce real poor results. One of my co-workers is a Nikonian. Last year he bought the D80 as soon as it came out and then, three months later, he swapped it for a D2H (which is almost 4 years old and has only a4 mp sensor) from eBay because its IQ was so much better. We've been talking about the H2/H5/H9 and I think the general concensus is that the H2 has the sharpest image of all (well, I think the H1 has just as good of an image at low ISO...of course I'm a bit biased since I owe one). I believe that has a lot to do with the fact that the H2 has the perfect number of MP (6) for its sensor and anything above that will not produce such good results, unless the sensor size gets increased. Talking about that, perhaps you guys out there with H5/H9 cameras can run a test...take a couple of pictures at full megapixel and the next down and compare the results. For instance, some 8 MP cameras let you scale the MP down to 5, 3 and 1. The R1has a10 MP sensor but I can take pictures at 7, 5, 3,..in fact, I have my camera set to 7 because the IQ is so good that I really don't need the extra 3 mp. It just takes a lotof space on the MS card. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that the lower mp images will be sharper than the full mp images.

One more point to make, if you think you'll crop the image a lot, then make surethe exposure is right. If the image is under exposed, you'll get a lot of noise on the cropped image. If over exposed, you'll loose a tonof detail.Using bracketing will help since it will give you three images taken with three different exposure sets. Then you can select the best of the three.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:25 AM   #500

Lovely part of the coast you have captured Tullio. nice one.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote