Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:51 PM   #511

Hi Sarah

Have you got your H9 yet.. if so what do you think of it
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:14 PM   #512

gary-

Yes, I have had the H-9 for a week or so now. It falls down at max zoom, but it is good at macros and mid zoom settings. The photo that I posted with the seagull sitting on the rail of our deck, showing the fog this morning (09/11) was taken with the H-9. It is just my opinion, but I believe that the H-2 camera is the best camera of the group.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:24 PM   #513

This fog is depressing, Sarah! We have it lingering along the cost here as well. Luckily I live away from the coast, so I get the usualbeautiful blue sky!

No offense to any of you H9 owners out therebut the more photos I see from it, the more Iget convincedthatits IQ is indeed inferior than the previous H models.The images are soft and lack definition. Color rendition is good but softness at the long range of the zoom is evident. If I was to buy along zoom camera today, I'd getthe H2 or wait for the FZ18 reviews to come out andsee how good it is.However, if I could wait another year, that'd be the best option. These products hopefully will mature into better products. The interesting thing is that when Sony, Canon, Panasonic (amongst other manufacturers) first came out with their very first 12x zoom cams, they were much better than thenew 15x and 18x models from the same guys.The question is, why? One would think thathaving the experience under their hats, these companies would come out with solid newupgrades, with longer zoom lenses and same (or better) IQ. Well, that's certainly not the case so far. Both the H9 and the Oly 550 fall short in IQ.So, what gives? Should these companies change the sensor for these camsto a new ones thatbetter matchthe new lenses? Should they improve the quality of the lenses? Where is the flaw? In camera design? Just curious!

In the meantime, I'm happy with my R1 and have no plans toreplace it any time soon!

Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:13 PM   #514

Nice macro shot, Sarah. The H9 certainly handles macro well. However, the whole point in buying the H9 instead of the H2/H5 is because of its long focal length. But, if IQ is not good at 15x, then one might be better off going for the H2/H5 instead.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:49 PM   #515

Tullio-

Thanks for the nice R-1 photo. I love the dynamic range. I certainly do not disagree with your statement. The H-9 does well out to about 12X, and then heads down hill. It has a lot of features. Even at ISO 400 the NR does not smear details. However, it is at the end of the zoom range where things start downhill. Clearly it is the H-2, that is the best of the batch.

It will be interesting to watch the reviews of the FZ-18 get released. I attached a H-9 photo.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:16 PM   #516

Last week we had two large fires on the mountains that surround the SF Bay Area. As a result, for a few days we had a lot of smoke in the air.One of the days, as I'm driving to work, I see the sun coming up. It was a bigorangy ball. The heavy smoke filtered the sun rays completely and we couldsee it as if it were themoon. Luckily I had my H1 with me so I stopped at a vista pointand took a series of pictures. Hereis one of them (BTW, no PP, just a bit of sharpening...colors are straight from the camera).
Attached Images

Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:21 PM   #517

And here comes the sun...
Attached Images

Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:22 PM   #518

Really nice "smoked" sunsets, Tullio! I like them a lot.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:26 AM   #519

Thank you, Sarah. It's actually a sunrise. The strong orange color was caused by the heavy smoke that was up in the air.

Here's yet another shot...
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:45 AM   #520

Just want to share my entries which won with "HONORABLE MENTION" in the recently concluded Mini-Challence (Fence Me-In) hosted in dpreview dot com STF forum by Kathy.

surprised to see both of my 2 pics are also selected on special categories.

Best Fence in Automobile category

Fence with an attittude..

I really love my H9....

Thanks for looking...

icecoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote