Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:21 PM   #671

Great images, Wirraway. The bird shot is superb with excellent control of the highlights (white birds are difficult to photographbecause camerastend to clip the highlights. Even though the W100 is a compact P&S, it seems like it has a good dynamic range.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:01 PM   #672

Wirraway,

Good looking shots, nice color and details.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:37 PM   #673

Tullio: thanks for checking, you have given me faith that it is ok topp using an LCD, you better believe I was thrown when I saw back through this thread my own images on the laptop,as well as other peoples shots that I foolishley thought were under exposed and tried to fix with highlight/shadow tool, thank goodness we bought this laptop otherwise I would have had no idea my CRT was that far gone. Hopefully I will find one of these fancy IPC LCDs to replace my desktop monitor.

Calicajun: Thanks for taking the time to comment on these 2 shots, I really appreciate it, look forward to seeing more of your pics.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:38 AM   #674

Soi Cowboy, Bangkok, Thailand

Camera: Sony DSC-W100, Aperture Priorityf/2.8, ISO 800, Shutter: 1/60th sec,Metering:Centre weighted average, expbios:-0.30,no flash, white balance: daylight, (handheld), PP Elements v5, Noiseware.

Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:33 AM   #675

Another good capture of the neon street lights, Wirraway. Even though youdid not have to set the Ev to -0.3 for that type of lighting, by doing so you probably gained a bit in terms of shutter speed, much needed in low light conditions such as this.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:51 PM   #676

Thanks Tullio, next time I will try exp bios -0.6 and -1.0 to see how it goes, a shutter speed of 80-100th sec would be a great help in stopping motion blur in these type of shots. Overall I'm very happy with the W100 it performs well for a little compact, next to try out will be my H5 but I think ISO 400 would be the limit for this kind of shot due to the smaller sensor than inthe W100.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:36 PM   #677

Well it was a nice gloomy day out so I decided to hit the local park.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:42 PM   #678

I am not sure I like this shot, Do you think I included too much of the water on the bottom of the photo. I also had a circular polarizer on.

bottom?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:41 PM   #679

Happy New Year, everyone!

I really like that first shot, Cyber. B&W always work well with snow scenes. As for the second, your observation is spot on (IMO). Too much water at the bottom. If you cropped the image cutting the tree branches off in favor of the water, I'd re-crop it. I'd cut the bottom to where the stream edges end and add a lot more at the top. Tree branches are more interesting than dark water.

I haven't used my Sony cameras in a while. I bought the Oly E510 and have been playing with it (actually, fighting is a much better word). The camera got great reviews but in real life, it sucks. It has a major problem with highlight clipping and AUTO WB is unreliable.I'm now contemplating the Alpha A100 (the A700 is way above my price range).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:58 PM   #680

Tullio,

Have you looked into a Canon 30D with the release of the 40D they really come down in price. I have really not used my Sony as well been playing with my Canon to much with all the features its been fun. I just ordered a 85mm F1.8 prime. I should get it in a few days. I used one during the summer and it took great photos.