Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:06 PM   #681

I looked at the 400D but not the 30D (it's way beyond my price range, even now that prices have come down).The reason I decided to go with the Oly is because it offered great features and 2 lenses for less than I'd pay for the 400D. Also, reviews have been very positive and the camera scores very high. However, lab shots are one thing and real life photography is something else and that's where the trouble is. I almost got an A100 before Xmas (should have done it!). It has IS, self-cleaning sensor and excellent DR, which is one of the most important features for me. It appears to have significant noise at high ISO compared to the 400D but not only I don't usually have the need for high ISO, it is for sure a lot easier to clean up noise than it is to recover lost highlights. Besides, is not that the noise on the A100is unacceptable. It's just higher than the competition but still well under control. The other thing is, I have two Sony cameras (H1 and R1) and I'm very happy with both and that should tell me something.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:57 AM   #682

I have had really good luck with my Canon it takes really nice photos to me at least it does. It took me a while to figure out all the buttons but I think I am almost there :-)
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:37 PM   #683

I had to do a sample photo today using the Sony H-5. So I pulled her out, threw in some fresh batteries and began snapping away. Wow! Big surprise. The photos from the H-5 are almost as good as those from my DSLR cameras with out really trying very hard at all.

That was a wake up call for me. We are beating our brains out attempting to get super photos (and often times failing) from our DSLR cameras. Well, cameras like the H-2 and H-5 get those great photos rather easily. Are we sort of kidding ourselves?? And I have heard great comments about the H-3, what gives?? What do you hear about the H-3??

Here is a sample from todays shoot.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:40 PM   #684

Here is another from the H-5.

Sarah Joyce

PS: Tullio, these are indeed my photos!
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:10 PM   #685

And here is another from the Sony H-2

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:33 PM   #686

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
PS: Tullio, these are indeed my photos!
I believe that, Sarah. I don't think any one but you would be posting pictures of your husband! Thanks for sharing them!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:31 PM   #687

There are a lot of options out there. We certainly have seen some outstanding photoexamples posted right here in our "Sony Favorites" folder. I do not like the lack of a high quality EVF, but the Sony H-3 continues to get high praise, even without an EVF. At around $200, it represents something of a value in scope of travel/hobbist cameras.

The Sony A-100, and now the A-200 still opffers some real opportunities. We head out once again tomorrow (01/08), morning for another month long contract. We wish all of you the very best. We will see you again around Valentine's Day, just before we head for an Amazon River contract in the first week in March.

The best of luck to everyone.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:48 AM   #688

A belated happy new year to everyone. wehave just returned from our road trip to Brisbane and Canberra a total distance of 6671 km/ 4143 miles, and to say we are whacked would be an under statement, my wife and I have vowed never to drive that far ever again and will fly instead.

For 8 days we were deluged with rain causing us to bypass many interesting places in New South Wales that we were both looking forward tovisiting and photographingand getting home to Townsville over a week earlier than planned.

Hope everyone had a great time over the festive season.

Shot at Forster-Tuncurry 2 hours north of Sydney,New South Wales,pelicans waiting for scraps from the fishermen cleaning their catch, Camera: Sony DSC-H5
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:30 AM   #689

Shot from the Australian War Memorial in Australia's national capital Canberra, looking down Anzac parade to Parliament House on Capital Hill, the white building below is the original Parliament house, Camera: Sony DSC-H5
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:51 AM   #690

Happy New Year to you as well, Wirraway. Sorry to hear about your convoluted trip. You know, I love driving but I'd never attempt to go on a trip where I have to drive over 6000 miles. Specially during this time of the year when the weather can be pretty harshin many parts of the Country.

Anyway, you posted twogreat photos. The first one in particular, is outstanding. The exposure and WB are spot on. Great composition as well

As Sarah pointed out, some times it makes me wonder why we go and spend so much money onSLRs when the H1/H2/H5 can produce so many beautiful images.I just bought myself an Oly E510 and even though the camera has its faults, overalI'm very happy with it and already started looking for lenses to complement the 2-lens package I got. It's a very responsive and smooth camera and it produces great images (hardly any need to PP). As a result, bothmy H1 and R1 are sitting inside their cases. What a waste, hey?!?