Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:06 PM   #711

Hi guys,

We went to the mephis Zoo last weekend, but we mostly used the Oly DSLR (new toy and all . Marie took this one though with the P&S UZ. The monkeys must have had some party the night before!!! The ultazooms are always good zoo cameras.

Mercury
Attached Images

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:48 PM   #712

That is a great zoo photo, Mercury. Tell me a bit more about the Olympus DSLR's. I have been looking at eiter the E-410 or the E-510. Do you have any suggestions??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:21 AM   #713

I kind of like this shot
Attached Images

Felinepiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:11 AM   #714

Now thats some purple :lol:Welcome to the Sony thread. :G
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:57 AM   #715

Sarah,

The E510makes an ideal zoo and travel DSLR for us as it is one of the smaller DSLRs and the 75 to 300mm lens isn't a huge lens - plus you get a 2X magnification to 600mm with the Oly. Itproduces great color as do my Pany and Sony UZs. It's a comfortable DSLR for me to hold due to the smaller size. I tried out a Nikon D300 at BB and it was a brick compared to the e510! I always said if a smaller sized DSLR witth Live View, in the body IS, and a good dust cleaning system came out I would play in that sand box again. (Some of our current Memphis OLY zoo picks are posted in the Oly group here.) I have always loved the OLY colors since my first digital camera in 1998. My C3040, C4040, C5050, and C8080 have taken some of my favorite pictures over the years. I bacame a Sony fan with the P10, and F717. Loved the Sony color too.

I still mostly carry my H9 or FZ18 for every day fun. I feel the P&S cameras are getting dumped on (particularly in the dpreview forums.....not so much here) and are getting a bum rap from of the DSLR crowd who visit P&S forums to pound and troll those of us who *enjoy* the portablity of out P&Ss These trolls constantlytrash them compared to DSLRs. I have a sneaking suspiscion that some of this may be "setup" by rival manufacturers to discredit P&Ss that may give their DSLRs some competition. This forum isn't plagued by that behavior..thank goodness and we have an enjoyable mix of great friends, some ofwhom shoot with P&Ss and DSLRs. ( I saw where AAK was back in the STF, but the same trolls are already bashing the H50 and it's not even out yet! sheeesh.....)

I am for having fun with my photography. I enjoy my family shots playing on the large digital frame in my office. I'm all about capturing the moments, people and places that meam somethihg special to me.....not trying to shoot pictures without a flash at ISO 3200. I can't imagine hauling something like a D3 and lenses around all the time. I'd need a trip to thegym to take weight training! I actually carry around a red Sony T200 in my purse. (I'm sure that is sacriledge to the DSLR purists.

I see where a new Sony H50 is due out. I have loved my H9 and I plan on adding the H50 to our zoo trip/weekend excursionsbag.along with the H9 and FZ18.

Chrystie:-)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:01 PM   #716

Chrystie-

Thanks for the post. Yes, I have a bunch of DSLR cameras that I need to teach the DSLR workshops, but I hate dragging along with a heavy camera bag. So, lately I have just carried the H-3 in my purse. It is small and very handy to have along.

I have an Oly E-410 but it has a very narrow dynamic range and I get a lot of clipped hightlights, so I rarely use it. My old E-300 does a much better job without the clipped highlights. I had considered getting an E-510, but have held off thinking I would get the same photos as with the E-410.

I still shoot with the ultrazooms and enjoy it. I have the Fuji S-8000, the Panasonic FZ-18, and the Canon SX-100, which is also small enough to drop into my purse.

Here is a spring photo for you. It again is from the H-3.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:07 PM   #717

The newer Olympus 420 and the yet to be relased 520 have some sort of dynamic range optimization so that might help the clipped highlights.

Gorgeous spring shot. OurRedbud andPear trees are blooming here in Alabama. A bit too early for the Dogwoods yet.

Chrystie

Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:36 PM   #718

Hi Chrystie-

www.dcresource.com has a review of the E-420 in the pipeline. I wait and see if it has better dynamic range. I have also volunteered to do a Canon SX-100 Gallery and Tutorial. It is in the Canon digicam folder. I just really began work on it today after the UPS man delivered my SX-100.

We will be home until 04/25 when we head out for another contract on Princess Cruises. So I will have enough time to do a reasonable tutorial. This is a photo that I needed today to answer a H-9 flash question. It was taken with the SX-100.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:26 AM   #719

That's a nice setup Sarah.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:31 AM   #720

So who shoots both DLSR and Point and Shoots besides me? I have a Canon 30D and I also have 5 other Sony Point and Shoots.