Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:31 AM   #721

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi Chrystie-

http://www.dcresource.com has a review of the E-420 in the pipeline. I wait and see if it has better dynamic range. I have also volunteered to do a Canon SX-100 Gallery and Tutorial. It is in the Canon digicam folder. I just really began work on it today after the UPS man delivered my SX-100.
That's a pretty cool job. :-) Are you doing the tutorial for the Cruise lines classes? Of the Canon and the Sony H3, I personally would go with the H3 if I bought a compact 10X zoom. (The Canon looks a bit bulky.)

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:40 AM   #722

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
So who shoots both DLSR and Point and Shoots besides me? I have a Canon 30D and I also have 5 other Sony Point and Shoots.
Me! Me!Mercury raises her hand!

DSLRs: Olympus Evolt 510, Sony Alpha 350 (currently on truck somewhere coming from CC).

UZ's: Panasonic FZ20, FZ30, FZ5, FZ18. Sony H1, H5, H9.

Olympus 700, 730, 740 (retired), Nikon 8800 (rarely used). Canon S1 ( blech - worst UZ I ever owned.)

Mercury

Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:51 AM   #723

Chrystie-

It is interesting that the Canon SX-100 and the Sony H-3 are about the very same size, with the H-3 being a bit thicker from front to back. The H-3 has a much larger flash range (up to 23 feet!) and it seems easier to handle than the SX-100.

I get far less far less camera movement when using the H-3 with arms extended and when the shutter speed is low. On the cruise ships, because the classes are so large, usually around 150 to 200 people, I use PowerPoint and lectures. We do have one session for everybody where I break the mob into 5 to 8 groups and schedule them at different times so that we can help them one to one when the group is 40 persons or less.

Here is a photo of the two cameras side by side.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:55 PM   #724

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
So who shoots both DLSR and Point and Shoots besides me? I have a Canon 30D and I also have 5 other Sony Point and Shoots.
Me! Me!Mercury raises her hand!

DSLRs: Olympus Evolt 510, Sony Alpha 350 (currently on truck somewhere coming from CC).

UZ's: Panasonic FZ20, FZ30, FZ5, FZ18. Sony H1, H5, H9.

Olympus 700, 730, 740 (retired), Nikon 8800 (rarely used). Canon S1 ( blech - worst UZ I ever owned.)

Mercury

What do you like using more? I have more fun with my DSLR then my Point and Shoots.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 1:08 PM   #725

I'm having lots of fun with my Oly E510. Since I bought the 2-lens kit back in Dec last year, I've bought 4 lenses and have taken over 6000 pictures. I'm selling my Pana FZ18 (good camera but not great. It certainly has its limitationsat full zoom)and I'm seriously thinking about selling the belovedH1 as well. The problem is, I will not have any smallP&S if I do that. I also have the R1 but that's a big, heavy and bulky camera to carry around. Since I bought the E510, I haven't used the R1 at all. However, the thought of getting rid of it is bothersome to me. Decisions, decisions.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 1:56 PM   #726

Tullio-

Its good to see you back. I seem to gravitate back and forth between P&S's and DSLR's. With a P&S you have a much smaller and lighter kit. I like that aspect a lot. But it is a trade off as the P&S also has its own technical limitations.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:00 PM   #727

Sarah,

I didn't realize the Canon was about the same size as the Sony. Still..after my experiece with the Canon S1 being the worst autofocusing piece of **** thatI ever owned camera wise, I would go for the Sony over the Canon without missing a heartbeat. Iknow Canon makes someExcellent DSLRs, but the S1 put me off from ever buying a Canon P&S again.

I would assume though that cameras such as the H3, Pany FZ18, and this new Canon are frequently brought on cruises as good travel cameras..being small and UZs. Do you maintain a tutorial for each specific camera of the most common travel ones? What do most people bring on cruises that you have seen in your camera classes?

Cyberf828,

I will use the DSLR for a plannedoutings such as weekend excursion. But I carry either one of the UZs or my Sony T200 with me for every day spur of the moment shots. When we went to the Memphis Zoo recentlyI packed the Oly E510, the Pany FZ10,the SonyH9, and the Sony HC7 HDV camcorder. My daughters used the UZs.

I plan on using the Sony Alpha 350 with it's cool LV toreplace my aging Pany FZ20 as my main SciFi convention camera. I used the FZ20 and H9 last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I wanted a"work like a P&S" LV DSLR. The Alpha 350 fits that bill.I don't want to spend my time watching the actor panels with a black box glued to my eye/head.

Tullio,

If I had an R1 I wouldn't sell it. It's a classic! I'd keep the FZ18 as a backup in my bag. (It's pretty small.)

Mercury

Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:03 PM   #728

Hi Sarah, I'm still getting email notifications every time this threadgets updated with new postings. A few days ago I decided that I did not needtwo long zoom cameras (H1 and FZ18 so I got them out of their bags and took some pictures in the backyard to compare the two and determine which one to keep and which to sell. Not to my surprise, the H1 beat the FZ18 in just about every aspect. DR was much better (less clipping), IQ was also better specially at macro and long FL. Since the FZ18 is an 18x zoom, I shot at 15x, which is almost equivalent to the Sony at 12x and at 18x. The Sony images came out sharper and carried a lot more detail than the FZ18. The only negative about the Sony images was the extreme purple/green fringing when compared to the FZ18 (no purple fringing). Considering that the FZ18 has 3 megapixels more than the H1, the H1 is certainly an impressive little camera. So, I decided to sell the FZ18 and keep the H1.I'm curious, though, as to how good the H50 really is. It looks good on paper (but then again, so did the H9).As for my E510, it's the third DSLR I've had (D40 and K100 being the first two) and I must say, the most fun camera I've had as well. The Zuiko lenses are incredible (although very expensive). The camera is fairly small for a DSLR (and the E410/E420 are even smaller) and the kit lenses very compact and ligh weight. Easy to carry around.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:06 PM   #729

Tullio,

Which lenses do you have for your Evolt 510 now?

Mercury
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:55 PM   #730

Hi Christie, I started with the two-lens kit. Then, after reading reviews and experiencing a lot of highlight clipping with the kit lenses, I decided to upgrade both of them. First I bought the 14-54mm, which is an awesome lens. I use it most of the time and I must say, the DR improved significantly (better coating might have a lot to do with it). Then bought the old 40-150mm and again, a huge improvement over the tiny kit lens. The lens is bigger but it's fasterthe images are much better. Again, DR improved quite a bit. My third lens was the 70-300mm, which I really like. It's no bigger than my old Tamron 70-300mm for the K100 (much more expensive, though). IQ is excellent and even though it reaches an impressive 600mm, with the E510 IS I hardly miss a shot. Lastly I bought the 35mm macro. Most people may prefer the 50mm for its optic qualities but I find it over priced andnot very useful except for macro photographydue to its FL being at 100mm. The 35mm lens translates to 70mm, which can still be used for some landscape and portrait photography. It's a great little lens, very very sharp and light weight.Otheroptions for amacro lenswould be the Sigma 105mm and150mm macrosbut I'vehad a real bad experience with the Sigma 55-200mm (pure garbage, IMO, despite what some people may say)so I decided to stick to the Zuiko brand. Yes, the R1 is a one of a kind type of camera and as I said, even though I'm no longer using it, I find it hard to convince myself that it needs to be sold. So, I guess it's not going anywhere.

Sarah, you seem to like the Sony H3. The reviews are far from being favorable.Have you experienced the limitations pointed out bydpreview and other reviewers?Going by the specs, I'd sayone of its biggest limitations isthe 38mm lens.I'd find ittoo long for indoor shots and even some landscape.