Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:47 PM   #731

Tullio-

The Sony H-3 does indeed have its limitations, I will agree 100%. However, its size and flash reach (up to 23 feet) make it a perfect purse camera that you always have with you.

I appreciated your comments about the Zuiko 14-54 providing much more DR. I have the E-410 and the 14-54mm lens so I will give it a try. Are you using the work around described in the www.dpreview.com review of the E-510 to get better DR and fewer clipped highlights? Its nice to have you back.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:17 PM   #732

Tullio-

Many thanks for the tip. The old 40-150mm actually produced a somewhat better image with the E-410. We reduced the highlight clipping a good deal. Take a look, please.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:31 PM   #733

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi Christie, I started with the two-lens kit. Then, after reading reviews and experiencing a lot of highlight clipping with the kit lenses, I decided to upgrade both of them. First I bought the 14-54mm, which is an awesome lens. I use it most of the time and I must say, the DR improved significantly (better coating might have a lot to do with it).

Hmmmm...sounds like a good recommendation and Mother's day and my Birthday are coming up. (No wonder my Better Half always cringes and turns sorta pale when he sees me on my camera forums.

Sarah,

The H3 does have an impressive flash range and does sound like the ideal "purse cam". :-) (The guys don't have "Purse cams"..... ;-) I even downsized my Pany FZ5 to a Sony L1 on a few of my UK trips.

Cyberf828,

I enjoy my DSLRs...but the one thingI have enjoyed with the P&Ss is that for years I haven't had to look through an OVF. I hate 'em..even in my old Maxxum pro SLR days. Since 1998 I have loved the instant gratification of digital cameras and the LCDs.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:46 AM   #734

That'a nice self-portrait, Sarah. I find tweaking the NF, Sat, Contrast, Sharpness and WB really improves DR.

The old 40-150mm is a great lens, so much better than the new one...in comparison, the new lens feels cheap and flimsy. However, when it comes to traveling light, nothing beats the new kit lenses. you get a total coverage of 14-150mm (28-300mm) in a very small and light weight package.

Anyway, since this is a Sony forum, perhaps we shouldmove this conversation over to the Oly forum instead.

Back to the Sony discussion,I do agree that having a camera with apowerful flash is a plus but IMO, it does not offset the 38mm WA limitation. I still prefer a 28mm with a less powerful flash and compensate the lack of lightby increasing the ISO.

The biweekly shootout forumrecently ran a challangenamed Clouds Unleashed. I was going to post a couple of shots taken with my H1 but missed the deadline. So, here they go...

Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:50 AM   #735

Thanks very much Tullio-

However, I am still considering the Oly E-510 or should I wait for the E-520?? Do the "work arounds" really work?? I guess you want me to go over to the OLY DSLR forum. So I am heading over there.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:51 AM   #736

Daytime moon and clouds (B&W)
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:26 AM   #737

Sarah, I'd wait for the E520 since you already have the E410.I think it will have a better implementation of Live View and perhaps better DR. I'm not sure what you mean by the work around. Basically there are two things you can do to somewhat improve DR. The first is to upgrade the kit lenses and the second is to tweak some camera settings. The E510 has a very poor handle of WB in AUTO mode. So, I've taken hundreds of pictures at different WB settings and found that it directly impacts the camera's ability to handle highlights. Now I only shoot with custom WB depending on light conditions (i.e. 5200-5400K in bright sunny day, 5600-6200Kin the shade, 6800-7300k in realdark shaded areas in bright sunny day, etc..).Also, decreasing contrast helps reducing highlight clippingsignificantly (some peoplesuggested saturation as well but I found no realdirect correlation between highlight clipping and saturation. Saturation has to do with color tone more than anything. But then again, what I see may not be what other people see. Yes, the E510 does have a limited DR but once you learn how to deal with high contrast and how to adjust the camera's setting accordingly (mainly WB and contrast), this becomes a secondary issue.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:28 AM   #738

Tullio-

Thanks for the E-510 analysis. I really appreciate that. Yes, I believe I will stay with the E-410, and see how the reviews of the E-520 turn out.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:48 AM   #739

You're welcome, Sarah.

For those of you interested, KEH has a Sony R1 in LN condition for $725. Even though it may be a bit more than you'd pay for one on eBay, I think it's worth the piece of mind. Their "like new" equipment is indeed like new. Check it out!

https://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...mp;GCC=&KW=

Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:06 PM   #740

I'm looking forward to the H50 coming out. I never met a Sony H model thatI didn't like.:-) I'm just worried certain forums that shall go nameless will trash it no matter what.... just because it can't exactly equal a DSLR setup that costs thousands more.... I think it comes out soon-- end of April/beginning of May.

BTW..nice pictures Sarah. I particularly liked the one of your husband and your grandson.

Mercury

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote