Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:57 PM   #751

I wish they could get some of the issues with IQ addressed in some of the point and shoots. I have had no issues since I switched to aDSLR.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:00 PM   #752

IMO, the P&S"issues" are two fold: size and...size. The first relates to the camera itself. The manufacturers keep reducing the body sizes as they increase the focal length. Many problems arise from that. The lens must be bigger but at the same time, compact to fit in the small body. As a result, the resolution drops and softness become more evident. That leads to the second size...the sensor size. Cameras with 3x optical zoom lenses have the same sensor size as the ones with 18x optical zoom lenses. So, what gives? IQ, of course.One of the major differences between P&S and DSLRs is the sensor size, much bigger onDSLRs. As a result,IQ is much, much better.Then again, the issue is...size. The DSLRs are much bigger (even though the E410 is a verysmall body, you still need the lens in front of it and the combo willl be bigger than any P&S). Talk about FL and the size goes up to the roof. Imagine thesize of a lens that reaches 500mm+ (and its costs).The problem is that once we move to DSLRs, we become spoiled by the IQ. I did not realize how limited the H1 really is until I got the R1 and now the E510.I think most manufacturers have done a good job improving AF and even some highISO control on P&S camerasbut they'restill legging behind the DSLRs. Actually,high ISO and MP have become a jokeIMO. ISO 3200 is unusable, period. So it's purely a marketing tool. As for MP, who needs more than say...10 or 12??? Mostof us don't and by increasing the number of MP, the manufacturers are degrading IQ. Unfortunately, there is a perception that more is better. I set my R1, which is a 10.1 MP camera, to 7 MP and I find I get better quality images thatway (besides saving a lot of space on memory cards). Thoughts anyone???
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:18 PM   #753

Tullio-

P&S cameras will probably not get any better until the consumer rebels a bit. All the manufacturers know is to shrink the camera body and add some more pixels. For example, please take a good look at the Fuji S-100fs.

If the buying public were to be a bit more forthright and more vocal with their demands and realistic needs, perhaps we would see cameras that more realisticaly strive to meet our needs. Based on 10 years of experience, I sincerely believe that neither the H-10 nor the new H-50 will in truth meet our every day needs. These new cameras from the Sony Corp. are nothing more that a rehash of the H-3 and the H-9!

To tell you the truth, I will not purchase either the H-10 nor the H-50. In short, we need better and more creative cameras with much better technical specs.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:24 AM   #754

I agree with you, Sarah. All we see is more zoom, more MP and higher ISOadded to the new models, doing more harm to IQ than good.I'm currently looking into buying the Sony V3. Considering that it was released back in 2004 (so,the carriera carriesa 4 year oldtechnology on its belt), it has 7 MP, 2,5" LCD, an extremely fast AF system, night shot, etc, etc. Now, when the specs of acamera look good 4 years later, that's innovation. Out of thetwo new Sony modelsyou mentioned, the H10 seems to be the most irrelevant IMO. I see nothing new over the H3, so what was the point? As for the H50,the only significant improvement over the H9isits slightly larger sensor. Everything else is just marketing BS. The new camera is alsoover 100g heavier (not necessarily a plus). I'm hoping that the new sensor will help reduce image softness at the long end of the zoom. That could be enough ofan incentive for me to give it a try.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:40 AM   #755

Not to knock the P/S at all but once I saw the IQ of a DSLR I find it hard to go back to the P/S even though the DSLR is alot bigger. I just don't like settling for bad IQ anymore. My photos are important to me. I have my trusty Sonys always with me though my T1 goes everywhere with me and my H5 is mounted to my motorcycle. :lol:I was going to munt my DSLR just for fun but never would chance riding with it on there. It costed me a arm, leg and a couple of ribs just to get what I have now.:?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:19 PM   #756

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
anymore. My photos are important to me. I have my trusty Sonys always with me though my T1 goes everywhere with me and my H5 is mounted to my motorcycle. :lol:I was going to munt my DSLR just for fun but never would chance riding with it on there. It costed me a arm, leg and a couple of ribs just to get what I have now.:?
I think we all share in common that our photos are important to us. Ican also tell thhat even though we have different styles and are different levels of perfectionists, we all enjoy doing this hobby. Tullio and Cyber f828 take *gorgeous* shots of beautiful locations. I'm sure Sarah could run circles on me with her wide knowlwedge base of so many different cameras and such great cruise opportunities for taking pictures. :|I'm more of a family hack who just wants decent photos of my family and our trips together. I am enjoying experimenting with my Evolt 510 and am very pleased with the results. The photos just have some addedlush feel/look that my P&S don't have. Still I like all my cameras from my Sone T1 and Sony T200 all the way up to the DSLR. And I engage in unabashed and enthusiatic"chimping" since my first digital camera.

CyberF282..you mounted a Sony H5 to your motorcycle? Cool! Post a picture of that sometime.:-)

Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:14 PM   #757

I will try to get one tonight or Tuesday. I also mount a Video recorder as well.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:45 PM   #758

Yesterday I was bored to death, doing nothing at home so took my H1 out of its case, inserted a couple of freshly charged batteries and went outto my backyard looking for things to photograph (new blooms? ornaments?). After a couple dozen shots, I realized I just had a picture-taking withdrawal. There was nothing really interesting,worth taking pictures of. Despite all that, I downloaded the images to my HD, opened up Picasa and immediately realized how good of a P&S the H1 is. The pictures were sharp, well saturated and the DR was awesome (no blown highlights in high contrast conditions). Now I don'tfeelbadfor selling the FZ18.

I do believe there are needs for P&S cameras butI wish manufacturers would stop releasing pointless model upgrades every 9-12 months or so and come up with some revolutionary replacements instead.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:12 AM   #759

I think this blog by AAK who wrote the white papers on the H-series sums it up for me:

DSLR, Digicam or.....?

http://aak-whitepaper.blogspot.com/

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:55 AM   #760

Good Morning, Chrystie-

Thanks for the links to AAK's white paper and blog. It made for some excellent reading. Yes, there is a plce for both DSLR camera and digicams, that is how I feel.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote