Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:46 PM   #771

Sarah,I think this picture is a bit over exposed,perhaps due to the slow flash. The speed isonly 1/25 with an aperture of f4.0 and ISO 400. Did you set the camera this way or didthe camera choose these settings based on the type of flashyou selected? (just curious).

I do agree that (not only) Sony releases way too many cameras with very liitle differences/improvements between them. The H10 is aperfect example of this model...the differences between it and the H3 are insignificant. The thing is, some camera models are one of a kind and most likely will never bereplaced or upgraded. The V3 and R1fall into this category. In cases like these, Sony should make an effort in fixing existing issues via firmware updates. I believe the reason cameras like the V3 and R1 will not be replaced is because producing such cameras is costly and since SLR prices are now as low as whattop prosumer P&S cameras used to be, trying to sell a P&S for $700 these days(that's how much the V3 cost when it was released 4 years ago...yes, 4 years ago!!!), would not fly. Therefore, manufacturers can no longer pack P&S with innovative features. So what do they do? They keep increasing the ISO (we are now at 3200 -even though anything above 800 is unusable on most cameras), the # of MP (16+, even though most people will never need more than 10 MP for the type of prints they make), the size of the LCD (3.5"? at a cost of removing the ever so usefull EVF), the optical zoom (20x and rising - even though the sensor size remains the same and IQ detariorates) and thenadding silly features such as the preset "baby"and "food" modes, face detection, among many others. These are not expensive features to add (except for the optics with longer zooms) but if you ask me, I'd trade them all for a larger sensor, night shot capability and the V3 AF system, which can focus in total darkness, wouldn't you???
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:38 PM   #772

H10? H50? How about the....Nikon P80??? Just announced, a 10 MP, 18x zoom, 6400 ISO P&S from Nikon for $399. It took a while for them to get in the long zoom market but it sounds very promising.I won't be surprised if this camera outperforms all other super zooms currently available (including the upcomingH50). I'm really looking forward toread what people have to say once it becomes available at the end of May!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:45 PM   #773

Tullio-

I agree with your evaluation that the photo does show some over exposure to my eye as well. However, I left the camera in the Automatic mode and that was the choice it made. It is certainly correctable with photo editing.

I just wanted to soften some of the shadows. But instead I received more light from the flash than I expected. There is no flash compensation on the H-3 model. For most folks looking to print a 4" X 6" print of the photo, It would still be within the automatic correction range of any automated commercial printer.

Have a great weekend!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:52 AM   #774

Instead of correcting the photo in PP, I'd try to reduce the ISO (force it to 200) or decrease the exposure by -0.3 or even -0.7 to prevent the over exposure.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:36 AM   #775

Tullio-

Yes, I immediately went to Exposure Compensation, in as much as the H-3 does not have Flash Compensation, and there was no change in the exposure that the H-3 selected in the Automatic Mode.

I hope you are enjoying a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:01 AM   #776

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
anymore. My photos are important to me. I have my trusty Sonys always with me though my T1 goes everywhere with me and my H5 is mounted to my motorcycle. :lol:I was going to munt my DSLR just for fun but never would chance riding with it on there. It costed me a arm, leg and a couple of ribs just to get what I have now.:?
CyberF282..you mounted a Sony H5 to your motorcycle? Cool! Post a picture of that sometime.:-)

Mercury
Here aphoto of the H5 mounted to my motorcycle. It take pretty good photos while moving least I know the IS works :lol:

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:11 PM   #777

Very cool, Cyber! I wonder what kind of effect you get. Post some shots taken while ridding when you have a chance!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:02 PM   #778

Well Folks-

There has not been much activity on this thread lately. Most Sony camera users don't give much credence to the Sony H-3. After all it is a stripped down, rather plasticy, el cheapo camera, right?

Well IMHO, this is one of the best Sony cameras when using flash. Literally, it is a small flash marvel. Why is that important, you might ask. Because most digicams are limited to 10 to 12 feet when using the camera's built-in flash. But here is this little ugly duckling, Sony H-3 camera that can take wonderful flash photos out to a range of 23 feet.

Quite literally, the Sony H-3 does things with flash, that other cameras cannot. That is important to me. I am not sure if that is important to you. We leave on Saturday, 26 April and I have already packed my Sony H-3 as my primary built-in flash camera. I have also packed my Panasonic TZ-5, a rather amazing camera, and my Panasonic FZ-50 an my Olympus FL-50 flash for those long flash shots.

Notice that I am not taking any of my DSLR cameras on this 3 month long contract. I would really like to be able to be happy and to complete this contract with just digicams.That would really be a step forward.

Anyway, if you have read this far, I personally thank you and I will leave you with one of those excellent H-3 flash photos, taken from a distance of 20 feet.

Have agreat day tomorrow!

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:12 AM   #779

Hello Sarah,

I know we are allSony fans but Ithink most point and shoots have a long way to go to compete with the IQ of a DSLR. I hope there is a day I don't need a large camera sensorto take good quality photos. Not saying in the right lighting andscenarioa point and shoot comes close.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:38 PM   #780

Hi Cyber,

In a way, I'm also getting spoiled by the speed and IQ of my Oly DSLR. I've got a nice system with many lenses and I'm happy with it. However, many times I did not feel like carrying my SLR bag along with me. It's big and heavy and depending onwhere I go, it may not bepractical to perform lense exchange. So, my R1 usually comes to mind as an alternative and if I want something smaller, then my H1. Then there are places where you just don't feel safe carrying such an expensive amount of equipment around your shoulder. Again, the P&S becomes a reasonable alternative/compromise. I have a couple of trips coming up (to Brazil and Hawaii). Am I going to take my E510 with 2-3 lenses on these trips? Most likely, not. I'll probably take the H1 to Brazil (travel light) and the R1 to Hawaii (too many beautiful things to photograph). I believe one day there will be a P&S built with a larger sensor, long zoom and goodhigh ISO control and that's the day I'll put all my DSLR system up for sale!