Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:32 PM   #781

I did the same thing when I went on my trip I didn't bring my DSLR I brought my point and shoot, to this day I really regret it cause my photos didn't come out the way I wanted them to. Now if i go anywhere I am bringing my DSLR and not looking back, sure its huge and I have to carry lenses but thats why I bought it for is the quality photos I take with it.

Driving home I saw this on the side of the road, it looked pretty neat.

"

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:32 PM   #782

Pretty neat indeed! You're right, Cyber. We go and spend all sorts of money on a DSLR system and then we leave it behind. What is the point in investing so much money on lenses and such if in the end we end up using a 3-year old 12x zoom camera? OK, there's the R1 which in many cases can out perform many DSLRs but, it also has its limitation (slow low light focusing, limited FL range, etc.). As I said, we are not there yet in terms of high qualityin a small package type of camera (and perhaps that daymay never come).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:01 AM   #783

I am sure the technology is there, but nobody wants to make it. If they did that the bar would be raised to high. Just a guess from me. I know what you mean about the older point and shoots if I go anywhere now I bring three cameras, Canon 30d and all my lenses , H5 and my T1.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:25 AM   #784

With DSLR prices dropping down to high endP&S cameras, I seriously doubt any camera manufacturer will invest in producing a P&S with all the bells and whistles. I recently bought a Sony V3 (I haven't posted anything yet with regards to mypersonal opinion about it). It came out in 2004 and it's a small 7 MP, 4x optical zoomcamera with a small sensor, night frame (it focuses in total darkness), night shot capability (IR), honeycomb laserAF assist for accurate low light focusing, and the listgoes on and on. The initial price tag when it was released was $799. Do you think any one would pay that much money forthis type of camera today whenfor $550 you can buy the OlyE420 DSLR (which isabout the same exact size as the V3) with two lenses? Or even the Nikon D40 for much less than that?I personally don't think so. I'd besurprised ifCanon is selling the G9 that much, and that's a good little camera. People want to pay no more than $399 for a P&S (15x zoom +). So, what's the incentive in building a expensive P&S? The last thing they (camera manufacturers, that is)want is to have a P&S competing with their DSLR sales!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:46 AM   #785

Tullio,

The V3 sounds interesting and I don't know anyone who owns the G9. If I am into the DSLR as strong as I am now next year I will be upgrading my 30d to a full frame sensor. Example EOS-1D MArkIII seems like it would be nice.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:07 AM   #786

I will soon post my findings and personal opinion about the V3 with some images. The G9 is a nice, well built little camera but..it costs too much for what it is. A co-worker used to be a hardcore Nikon fan. Recently he decided to switch to Canon because he wanted an affordable full frame camera. So, he bought the 5D kit and he's very happy with it. He's bought a couple of prime lenses as well (35mm and 50mm) and he loves them. That may be an alternative for you if you don't want to spend too much money for a full frame camera.
Old May 28, 2008, 9:16 AM   #787

Hello all, I was out enjoying the spring weather and thought this would look nice.

Old May 31, 2008, 2:37 PM   #788

Very nice, Cyber. As I write this quick post, I see the ocean from my hotel room in Maui. I took my R1 and V3 cameras with me so as soon as I get back, I'll have some new images to post. Cheers!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:18 AM   #789

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, Cyber. As I write this quick post, I see the ocean from my hotel room in Maui. I took my R1 and V3 cameras with me so as soon as I get back, I'll have some new images to post. Cheers!
Maui???? That must be very nice and the photo ops...:? I would be going nuts.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:34 AM   #790

Have to keep this going. Photoshop of a black and white/color.