Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #811

Cyber-

Yes, indeed! This thread has been very quiet lately. Thanks for the excellent motorcycle shot.

I am attempting to make up my mind about whether I keep or return this H-50. So yesterday, while I was shopping, I shot this photo of the displayed bananas under a mixture of Sodium Vapor and Incandescent lighting. I was please with the results.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:24 AM   #812

Hi guys, great shots, Wirraway, Cyber and Sarah. I've got an A300 and have posted a few topics in the Sony SLR forum (that camera is keeping me busy). I still have over 1000 shots taken with my R1 in Hawaii back in May-June, which I haven't had a chance to work on. The A300 is nice and in many ways, better than the Oly E510, which I had and sold. DR is definitely better, main reason for the switch. However, it's a difficult camera to understand in terms of metering. It goes all over the place and I can not find a pattern to follow. When I think the image is toobright and the camera will over expose, it does the opposite and vice-versa. I've boght a few lenses (Tamron, Sonyand Minolta) and I must say that the Zuiko lenses are far far superior. So, today I ordered the new Oly E520 to see how much DR has improved. If it's significantly better, I'll keep it and return/sell my A300. If it clips the highlights as much as the E510, I'll keep the A300.

Sarah, I bought the H50 not long after it had been released and was disappointed. I returned it less than a week later. I found AF to be slow (some times it would not lock focus at the first time and I had to release the shutter and press it again a few times before it finally focused. IQ was OK but the FZ18is superior IMO. The FZ18 offers more useful features as well AND better range. I think in terms of P&S IQ, no camera beats the R1 and a couple of its predecessors.

Here are afew images from Hawaii taken with the R1
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:26 AM   #813

Sunset (I may have over 200 sunset shots....)
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:27 AM   #814

Another one
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:29 AM   #815

How about a view of the ocean...
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:31 AM   #816

Wreackage of a Grand Prix racing car. How it got there is unknown!
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:33 AM   #817

From a vista point...
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:28 AM   #818

Great photos Tullio, I relly like the reflection photo and the GP car makes you wonder. I took 1683 photos of the race and still have alot to look at and then send to the racers. Sarah Whats been the thought of returning the H-50? Unhappy with it or looking for another?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:39 PM   #819

Cyber and Tullio-

The Sony H-50 is not a perfect camera. I like it, but it still has some quirks. I stay with the ultra-zooms because it makes for a smaller kit. However, there is no denying that you can get more IQ from a DSLR, so I am sort of still on the fence.

I have been following Tullio's quest for a DSLR camera with better dynamic range, so the hunt continues. Those are excellent photos, Tullio. Cyber thanks for the great motorcycle shot. It is nice to see some increased activity on this thread.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:09 AM   #820

Thanks Cyber and Sarah for your comments. In terms of DR, the A300 is one of the best I've had. The problem is the available lenses for it. In a couple of months, I've bought a couple of Minolta lenses and I'm trying to figure out why some people brag so much about them. They are much inferior than Pentax, Nikon, Canon and Zuiko lenses. Perhaps they are just bad fits for the Sony DSLRs. I guess that's where the compatibility ends. When I had the Pentax K100, I used someold Pentax lenses and even though some were manual focus, the image quality was excellent. So, I am now waiting for the E520 to arrive. I don't really have much hope for it from reading the E420 reviews. The DR has improved but marginally. I think the Sony will beat the E520 hands down in that department. If so, it will become a matter of DR vs. IQ. We'll see.