Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:13 AM   #931

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
thats from a dslr camera? i would have though they would have been better, still good but not what i expect from all the hype from dslr cameras,
Canadian, you defiantly don't need a DSLR to take most photos yes theres way too much hype on them, I see the only benefit of having a DSLR is low light shoots, but the cost of a DSLR is crazy expensive. My Sony H5 and Canon SD-870 point and shootsboth take as equal great photos to my DSLR. Most of the hype should be over their Photoshop skills for their photos not the cameras they use. :G
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:37 PM   #932

Nice series with your W300, Wirraway (though a bit late). It sounds like you are doing well with your new toy.

dSLRs are becoming very very reasonable these days. For instance, Amazon is selling the new Olympus E520 body for only $458. The new Canon G10 costs more than that (of course in the case of the E520, you need a lens to go with your camera body but the kit is less than $100 more. Still very affordable. Now, you can certainly go crazy with the top Canon and Nikon models and spend thousands on a system. I could never justify such a purchase myself.

As for the advantages of the dSLR over P&S, it depends on individual needs. I took some pictures with my R1 the other day at ISO 1600 and the images were amazingly clean. What a camera. However, take down the light and you'll go crazy as the R1 focus speed significantly drops. But, we must keep in mind that the R1 is over 4 years old and technology has certainly evolved during the past 4 years in terms of digital photography.

I personally like the many advantages of long zoom P&S cameras. They are relatively small, light weight and extremely versatile. I recently went on a trip to the California caverns and took my Oly E520 with two lenses (WA and mid zoom). I started out with the WA mounted on the camera. At one point, I needed more reach to capture some rock formation further away so I attempted to exchange lenses as we walked through dark, wet, narrow paths. Needless to say, it was challanging. In the end, I took a few shots with the zoom lens, switched back to the WA and never changed the lens again till the end of the tour. If I had my H1, I'd probably be much better off in those circumstances.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:58 PM   #933

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
Canadian wrote:
Quote:
thats from a dslr camera? i would have though they would have been better, still good but not what i expect from all the hype from dslr cameras,
Canadian, you defiantly don't need a DSLR to take most photos yes theres way too much hype on them, I see the only benefit of having a DSLR is low light shoots, but the cost of a DSLR is crazy expensive. My Sony H5 and Canon SD-870 point and shootsboth take as equal great photos to my DSLR. Most of the hype should be over their Photoshop skills for their photos not the cameras they use. :G
very nice photos, sure like the all white look, so your saying other then low light conditions there is not much difference? isn't the close ups with DSLR in Macro much nicer then regular digital cameras?
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 2:36 PM   #934

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
Canadian wrote:
Quote:
very nice photos, sure like the all white look, so your saying other then low light conditions there is not much difference? isn't the close ups with DSLR in Macro much nicer then regular digital cameras?
For closeups the DSLR can be, it all depends on what you want to spend, not all of the lenses will do macro so that would be another cost to factor in to buy a macro lens vs a point and shoot having it build in. There are alot more custom settings you can adjust on a DSLR that you can't do with all point and shoots you can get close though. I am doing studio shoots that youcan't really get with a point and shoot, you can get close don't get me wrongbut I don't think anywhere near what a DSLR can do for IQ. I am sure someone will argue that point but I would challenge it any day. I am also talking straight from camera no Photoshop.

** edited for a clearer answer. **

Old Nov 6, 2008, 2:57 PM   #935

thanks for the info i'm still learning with my newer camera,
Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:29 PM   #936

You also have to remember its alot of stuff having a DSLR and weight for some people. Me it doesn't bother me to carry it in a sling bag. Its all in preference in what you want to do. I have alot of cameras I have a Sony H5 mounted to my motorcycle and two point and shoots that I carry everywhere I go. Can't miss the shot don't ya know. :|
Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:56 PM   #937

maybe one day i will go with the DSLR camera but not right now, i take lots off photos out in bad weather for myself and my website plus for a outdoor magazine that i submitt photos for, i can't carry all this gear in these elements so a camera that takes quick photos when i'm out in the cold is what i'm needing, i even find at times that my H50 is to big, when it gets -30 i will probably end up using my W1 as then it can fit it in my pocket and stay warm, sometimes i'm crossing frozen lakes on snowmachines and cameras have to stay warm, i can't fit my H50 in my pocket this is when i switch cameras, so a DSLR would not work for me only come summer months
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:03 PM   #938

Two very nice pictures, Cyber. I particularly like the first one. Although there's a lot of white, one can easily see the details on the dress, which translates into good exposure of the scene. Well done!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:46 AM   #939

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Two very nice pictures, Cyber. I particularly like the first one. Although there's a lot of white, one can easily see the details on the dress, which translates into good exposure of the scene. Well done!
Thanks Tullio, yeah I agree about the lot of light in the first one but I guess thats the look the Instructor was saying they are going for now.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:15 PM   #940

I said "a lot of white", not light!