Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 22, 2007, 7:06 PM   #1

Im looking for a new camera and am drawn to the H7 after playing with it a few times at the stores. Tell me about it, or its brother the H9. I dont need the tilt screen or night option of the H9, but tell me about it anyway.

What are the negatives you have found? what are the positives? What are some tips for someone considering buying one? Extra battery? What kind of memory card? ect...

Thanks in advance!
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 7:53 PM   #2

Hello,

Just curious, why do you say you 'don't need the tilt screen'?

Here at Steves-Digicams Sony Forum, some of your questions have been answered by several posters.

I invite you to read my H9 Real Life User's Review posted right here at Steves-Digicams, in the form of separate issue threads.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:19 PM   #3

well I just cant think of a time I would use it. I will be taking mainly indoor photos of my son, some outdoor ones sometimes. I almost always use my viewfinder over the LCD(mostly because until I had my son I only had film cameras and then my first digital didnt/doesnt have an LCD worth fussing with). Im sure it would come in handy at some point but my budget is >$500 including accessories so I think I can live without it.

I was pretty sure I read your real review... but Ill go look again. Ive been reading and reading and reading ever since I decided to get a camera(about 4 days straight of sitting on my butt reading reviews and comparing camera options) and my brain is turning to mush!!
Old May 22, 2007, 8:43 PM   #4

Hi,

If you want to take pictures of your son, the tilting LCD of the H9, was made for you.

You don't need any accessories until your budget permits.

The AF speed, exposure accuracy and the 230,000 pixel Tilting LCD of the H9 will enable you to picture your child at his level, not to mention Face detection.

If budget is your concern, I would only get an extra battery, and a 2 year warranty as a minimum.

This is just my opinion, based on real expierence with the H9.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 1:34 AM   #5

SDIX, if I were you I would wait for the reviews here at Steve's and DPReview, refer to Sintaresreply here "Fine/ Standard" as a caution.

The H2 can still be found for around US$200 and a lot people agee that this is the best H series for image quality. the $300 saved will buy you the 1.7xteleconverter plus a 0.7xwide angle converter plus polarizer and UV filter.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 4:05 AM   #6

Hello Folks,

I'm seriously thinking to add to my camera collection, a H9 as I really need such "Tilt" LCD that the H9 has...today I'm using a DSLR KM7D with my very recently acquired Tamron 18-250mm "Travel" zoom lens (So I never more will need to change lenses & keep the sensor spotless clean!).

Whatever...next week I will receive from my photo dealer here in my country the exact price for a H9 + at least a 250mg original Sony high speed memory card (Don't forget...mainly I will use my lovely DSLR!).

Any constructive advise will be granted or NOT...my decision for this camera!:?

Thanks a lot for your heart full help!

Peace,

Alex 007

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 9:49 AM   #7

hmmmmm

so can anyone who has the H2/H5 and the H7/H9 compare them?

I played with the H2 at target, the H7 at walmart, H9 at best buy. I was drawn most to the H7, but maybe I should go play with the H2 some more??

Besides the AAs vs the Lith-ion battery, megapixels, zoom range, slight size difference... is there anything else significant about the H2 vs the H7?

I think I already said this? but Ill be using it mainly indoors for a 3yo.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:03 AM   #8

I keep reading about RAW. Do any of the H series do that?(or can you hack it to do that?)
Old May 23, 2007, 11:50 AM   #9

I have a H5 and a teleconverter lens and I really like the camera shoots really good in low light. Last weekend I shot a puppy training class in a warehouse that only had windows for light and the pics were great. Here is a shot of the moon I took last night a little too bright around the edges but all that can be fixed if i knew what I was doing with the camera I am a beginner.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 11:56 AM   #10

:love:

my dad loves doing astrophotography with his SLR and telescope. I love being able to see such details. Id never attempt something like that, or at least not for a long time... so Im happy to observe.