Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 26, 2007, 12:26 AM   #11

I just dont know what to do now... Should I settle for the H2? I didnt like the H2 as much. Or should I even settle for the S3 IS which I didnt really like at all. I have no other considerations except possibly stepping way down to a A630, possibly a A710 sight unseen...

I just need a good camera to take indoor(90%) and outdoor(10%) photos of my son and Im so lost!
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 2:32 AM   #12

I still think my H1 (despite its poor battery life, slow flash and limitedISO performance) is a great camera and although I was thinking about upgrading it to the H9, after reading reviews and user complaints, I've got to the conclusion that I'll be better of keeping it a bit longer. I've never been a big Canon fan (had the S2 around the same time I bought the H1 but sold it due to many aggravatingissues) but I think there is a good reason forCanon to keep the 12x optical lens on the S5 as opposed to upgrading it to 15x or 18x like Sone and Oly did.As itappears, both the H9 and the 550 have some major image issues mostly due tothe wide focal length of their lenses.Perhaps theS5with WA/Tele converters is the way to go!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 2:59 AM   #13

Quote:
I think there is a good reason forCanon to keep the 12x optical lens on the S5 as opposed to upgrading it to 15x or 18x like Sone and Oly did.As itappears, both the H9 and the 550 have some major image issues mostly due tothe wide focal length of their lenses.Perhaps theS5with WA/Tele converters is the way to go!
Interesting thoughts on your lens scenario, as the Canon S5 uses the same sensor as the H9,amlooking forward to the upcoming reviews, if the IQ is ok on the S5 your lens theory may wellbe right.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 3:05 AM   #14

Read the conclusion of the Megapixel page.

I wonder, if the reviewer has trouble accessing the menu functions ( he rated 3 of 10 - Interface ) when the menus are a breeze to use, why he is in the review business.

The camera is small and very light with a 3" LCD. The reviewer states a 'Con' is "Space too tight for the controls on the right of the monitor". Why doesn't he say "The camera is too small at least for my hands"?

I have shot almost 3000 images during 27 days and I had to replace my battery two separate times on two different days. I will get third battery and have no worry about batteries running out. They are very small, light, and for their size, they perform amazingly well. And the wall charger comes with the camera. I had to spend $50 to get such a charger for my R1. Wth the 3" LCD, the reviewer's 'Power useage' should be a 10.

Software? Haven't used it yet, probably never will. I download using Windows and PP with Photoshop Elements.

Flash performance is exceptional, Only problem is when shooting people of color, on dark skin you must lower power of the flash. The Sony engineers obviously designed with a typical Japanese skin color as their base 'average' color.

Having come from cameras I used only with M, A, or S modes, I was shocked to try the Sports mode three times and find the camera likes to use 1/60 sec. I guess the Sony engineers used Sumo Wrestling as their base 'Sports' activity to capture in Sports Mode. On my H9 I use Shutter Priority rather than sports mode.

Focusing must be a 10, of 3000 images, when the fault was not my own, I would say I had only 20 images with bad focus. Best, most accurate camera I have ever focused with. Period.

Lens quality 7? Purple fringng in contrast areas? Compression too strong? Before youcomment on the H9's image quality I suggest you view a slideshow right from the camera on a HD TV. No camera I have used comes close to the image quality I see from my H9.

The zoom speed is remarkable. With only my thumb I can zoom, set flash, macro, check the historgram. One button for metering modes. Body ergonomics is 9 even with my fat fingers. To rate this category you must be aware that the H9 is a small camera and what you can obtain from this small camera.

Thank you MegaPixel for your review. The more opinions the better for discussion.

The more opinions based on Real Life Use of the H9, the better as well.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 3:12 AM   #15

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I still think my H1 (despite its poor battery life,
Umm, 300-400 shots on 2 AAs is hardly poor battery life..

However getting back to the H9, see the sample photo by Anne Girard, posted over at dpreview, she has highlighted the typical unpredictable "smearing" problems she is finding, when one photo is fine, the next well, something happens..

See, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23370092

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 7:10 AM   #16

I have not seen anything like that with my images.

The only clue I have is that the 'problem' surfaces are all on the same plane, presumably reflecting light at the same angle.

I'll bet the anti-alias grid is out of alignment on her sensor, an error in manufacturing, IMHO.

She should return her camera, there is obviously something wrong with it.

Why make such a production abouta camera that is obviously not representative of what an H9 produces. She has a warranty and such a result should definitely be an issue entitled to be corrected by Sony.

By the way, that STF at DPReview, really does have a horrible atmosphere.

Here is a portrait of my wife with my first Off Camera Flash with my H9.

No PP EXCEPT Auto Levels and cloned out one small flash highlight on tip of her nose.

I will post a thread in the near future on triggering Third Pary Flashes ( even at 1/4000 sec ) in the near future.

Nicholas

Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:20 AM   #17

SDIX wrote:
Quote:
I just dont know what to do now... Should I settle for the H2? I didnt like the H2 as much. Or should I even settle for the S3 IS which I didnt really like at all. I have no other considerations except possibly stepping way down to a A630, possibly a A710 sight unseen...

I just need a good camera to take indoor(90%) and outdoor(10%) photos of my son and Im so lost!
Did you look at the H5? You can read all the reviews and still hear the negative info on these H series cameras, Only thing I can say is find a place that will allow full a return and buy the camera you want and take all the pics you can then decide if its good enough for you. Then you can see for yourself. I am very pleased with my H5 just as Nick is very pleased with his H9.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 1:32 PM   #18

Last night my H9 paid my investment back in spades. My twins graduated high school. The ceremony was in a large Civic Center arena. The ceremony and graduates were on the arena floor. I had to sit in the top row of the middle section of the Civic Cnter. But with the H9 zoom, I got those once in a lifetime pictures. They are so close it looks like I am sitting in an aisle right across from my daughters. The pictures even at full zoom and *hand held *are tack sharp. Thanks goodness for image stabilized zooms. The focus was lightning fast. This was one of the happiest nights of my life and now thanks to the H9s zoom and IS, I have pricess pictures. Best $400 I have spent in years. :-) (My husband was in the a bit higher seat with his FZ30 but that 15X zoom vs 12X zoom made a *big* difference. :-)

When we got back home we hooked the camera up to our HDTV and watched the slide show. WOW to using the H9 for HDTV slide shows! It was a perfect end to a perfect evening.

Mercurycu - VERY, veryhappy H9 owner

P.S. Very nice picture of your lovely wife, Nick. :-)
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:25 PM   #19

Maybe Ill start a new thread.
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:01 PM   #20

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
Last night my H9 paid my investment back in spades. My twins graduated high school. The ceremony was in a large Civic Center arena. The ceremony and graduates were on the arena floor. I had to sit in the top row of the middle section of the Civic Cnter. But with the H9 zoom, I got those once in a lifetime pictures. They are so close it looks like I am sitting in an aisle right across from my daughters. The pictures even at full zoom and *hand held *are tack sharp. Thanks goodness for image stabilized zooms. The focus was lightning fast. This was one of the happiest nights of my life and now thanks to the H9s zoom and IS, I have pricess pictures. Best $400 I have spent in years. :-) (My husband was in the a bit higher seat with his FZ30 but that 15X zoom vs 12X zoom made a *big* difference. :-)

When we got back home we hooked the camera up to our HDTV and watched the slide show. WOW to using the H9 for HDTV slide shows! It was a perfect end to a perfect evening.

Mercurycu - VERY, veryhappy H9 owner

P.S. Very nice picture of your lovely wife, Nick. :-)
Very cool thats what its all about. If you don't mind please post a pic.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote