Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 27, 2007, 10:26 PM   #1

Hello All,

Here is my Air Show gallery from yesterday at Jones Beach, New York.

The H9 performed to its limits and beyond ( which I streched as well ).

The H9is a truly AMAZING camera, well worth every penny it costs, IMHO.

This Air Show was a perfect testing ground for my H9.

After this shoot I can no longer be Objective in my statements of the H9, but I am still Truthful and Accurate.

Follow the thumbnails and you will see sequences of captures of jets in flght, each focused for each frame while it shoots by my view.

Such a shoot unfolds photographically from frame to frame. I was always trying to improve my captures.

I started with my Tele-Converter, very hard to track flying planes. Try holding a inner cardboard tube of a roll of paper, put it to your eye and try to follow these planes around the sky.A sky with a bright sun almost directly overhead and in front of you and your cardboard tube. About 1/2 the shoot was with the teleconvertor.

I switched to the native lens at 8Mp, and ended up satisfied and using 3MP with digital Zoom to its max (23x).

It was almost 5 hours of shooting. Of course I enjoyed every minute. My wife enjoyed the show as well. Changed my battery once. Excellent performance IMHO.

With the H9 I was able to Zoom in and out to re-locate planes which I locked on.

Wish camera EVF blackout was shorter, but I was still able to relocate a plane, focus and shoot again and again. No other Bridge or P&S camera, nor many DSLR's could capture many of these images. Additionally, about 40% of the images had the sun in or almost in the EVF. You could not do this with an optical viewfinder of any camera.

The weight of my camera was next to nothing during the 5 hours.

About half way through the show I set up my tripod, removed the quick release plate, covered the top with a cloth and used the tripod as an elbow rest for me to shoot. It worked perfectly.

Many of these planes/parachuters were over 1/2 mile away from me.

There was a blue color hazeto most of the military planes, creating low contrast, but the H9 AF performed very well.

PP included batch Neat Image and Auto Levels only.

No matter what the 'Professional' reviewers will say when they present their reviews, the H9 has now passed a very severe Real Life User's Test, with FLYING COLORS, pun intended.

Here is my gallery to my Air Show images:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/2909210

Looking forward to your comments. Used mostly Shutter priority.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 7:48 AM   #2

Hi Nick,

looks like you had a good day out there, and certainly gave the H9 a good workout.

My favourite is 3796.

Steve
steveasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 6:54 PM   #3

Awesome shot of the A-10 now thats a machine.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:07 PM   #4

Hi Nick,

I have looked at your airshow images and they are superb. I have bought the same camera myself plus the teleconverter. You can view some of my images at http://www.pbase.com/ballymack/galleries (Check out the Alpaca at London Zoo)

Anyway I noticed that some of your images with the convertor look as if they have been shot through a tube as all the 4 corners are darker this is probably due to the fact that that you have not change it to tele in the settings menu.

Now I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs its just an observation as I had the same thing myself and I have a long way to go to get to your standard so no offence and Thank You for all your reviews I read them avidally and learn from them daily.
Keep it up :-)

Ballymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:06 PM   #5

Usually, the "tube" effect is vignetting caused by using atele converter with less than the minimum focal length. The H1 (and I'm sure the H9 does as well) has a menu setting where you can tell the camera whether a WA or tele converter is being used. The camera will then adjust the minimum/maximum focal length based on the setting, thus preventing vignetting from occurring. Of course the settings are based on Sony converters.Besides the Sony 1.7x converter, I also have the TCON-14B and Ricoh TC-200M. Since they are 1.45x and 1.5xconverters, theminimum FL before vignetting occursis muchless than with the Sony. With that said, I'm not surethis is the situation with Nick's photos.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:59 PM   #6

Hello All,

Glad you likd the air show shots.

Ballymack,

actually when I was shooting with the tele-converter I placed my circular polarizer in its front, fit like a glove but I was afraid it would fall out. It got jammed and I believethis is when I shotthose shots that have the vignetting.

I got it out with my pen.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:42 AM   #7

HaHa good stuff & great photo's this is my 1st serious camera. I have always had a point & shoot on auto whilst on hols or whatever and never really took any photos. I read reviews for weeks and weeks until I confused my self. Then I found your posts which has inspired me to buy the H9. I drop by regular to read and learn from your posts. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
I am doing a 250 mile charity bike ride in Aug then off to Puck Fair in Ireland (Do a Google search on Puck Fair) and the H9 will be on route to capture the moments.
I need a very good extremly compactable & portable Tripod with all the bits can you recommend one does not have to be the one you have.
Cheers
Kevin (Ballymack is the name of my mothers house in Ireland, could'nt think of anything else to use LOL)
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:42 AM   #8

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your family history a bit. Very interesting.

The H9 is a very, very light camera. It won't require much support.

Regarding tripod. I would do two things:

1) Get a bean bag and short bungie cord ( stretchable ). use the cord to hold the bean bag on your bike's seat to create a platform for your H9. Always twist your camera strap short and thread the bungie cord through the strap as a precaution to avoid the H9 from falling off the seat.This transforms your bike into a tripod.

There are other ways too, such as a Vice Grip with a 1/4" thread attached, also to fasten to your bike.

2) For standard tripods, I would not get the ones with the legs connected to each other near the bottom. You want one with the legs free to go to varing hieights depending on he ground topography.

I am partial to Slick. Here is what I am describing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/147126-REG/Slik_611465_Compact_Tripod_XL.html

I would definitely do the bean bag. Make sure your bike's kick stand is affixed properly and tightly.

Hope this helps.

We have a trip across Ireland to look forward to. Can't wait to see your images.

Regards,

Nicholas

Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:25 PM   #9

Hey Nick you going to Ireland my Mother lives there in a Tourist Spot called Cashel (Google The Rock of Cashel in images) know there's a place for photo's especially night shots of The Rock when its all lit up.

When & where are you going ?

As for a bean bag for the bike I'm OK my H9 hopefully won't fall off as long as I don't and that's pretty sure as me Bike is a Trike :-)

Let me know when & where in Ireland and how many of you going.

Cheers
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:09 PM   #10

Will do Kevin. Will be two, my better half and me.

Likely in 2008.

I have many friends who loved their visit to your Green and Beautiful country.

Nicholas