Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 29, 2007, 3:41 PM   #11

Wirrawaywhat kind of camera/model do you use?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:12 PM   #12

I'd rather have a real life users opinion like Nick who has actually tried the camerain many different situations over many days. I put a WHOLE lot more value in that than a review thanthe chart by numersreviews that make mountains out of molehills and make photography simply an exercise in mechanics and pixel peeping. No one that looks at my pictures in 20 years will gives a rat's pootootie about exactly which camera I used. They will care that I took those pictures becauseI had a compact and fun camera with me that I enjoyed using. I pay a whole lot more attention to the results posted by certain people that I know provide real life feedback. If I tookall the"professional" reviews that seriously, I'd would never have bought any camera. I have also gotten great pictures with my Pany FZ30 and the professional reviewers couldn't slam it enough for too much noise. Now they slam the camerasfor too much NR. You can't please all the people all the time.

Nocamera is perfect. But if users are getting good results and giving positive feedback and those users actually use the camera day after day...that should carry much more weight than the "professional" reviews. If these sites really want to give the most useful kind of reviews, they shoud be from the target audience who don't want nor intend to get a DSLR.

Mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:23 PM   #13

Cyber828

Got 3 Sony's: DSC-F707- DSC H5 and DSC-W100 as the carry everywhere. Very satisfied with all 3 but admit the F707 is still the favorite with it's f/2-f/2.4 fast Vario-Sonnar lens.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:36 PM   #14

Mercurycu

As Simonanswered to your post on STFregarding your Nashville Zoo visit:

"I think you accidentally agreed with what i said in the conclusion - that's its a great 'point and shoot' big zoom camera for people who care more about 'getting the shot' than fiddling with manual settings or fussing over image quality. That's not really the point of the review though is it? I wish i could write reviews based on the needs of kids shooting pictures of animals at the zoo - believe me it'd be a lot quicker! :-)"

As long as you yourself are content with your H9 don't worry and be happy, but there are people looking for the best IQ possiblein a superzoom and the H9 does not make the cut.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:54 PM   #15

And as I answered Simon... (He really shouldn't make such presumptions).:X

My three "kids" are now all college students...biology majors. As teenagers they won photo contests at such places as the Tennessee Aquarium. They are hardly non photo savy kids just aiming a P&S and firing away. They have been cutting their photo teeth on digicams since the first non megapixel Oly cam out in 1998. They have used the Oly 3020 , 3030, 4040, 5050, 8080, D40, E10, and numerous Oly UZs. They have used the Sony V1, P10 with underwater housing, W1, F717, H1, H5 , TRV10, TRV30, TRV80, PC101, PC330, HC3 and HC7. They have also used the Pany FZ5, FZ20 and FZ30.

Mercurycu

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 5:29 PM   #16

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:

Cyber828

Got 3 Sony's: DSC-F707- DSC H5 and DSC-W100 as the carry everywhere. Very satisfied with all 3 but admit the F707 is still the favorite with it's f/2-f/2.4 fast Vario-Sonnar lens.
I thought you had a H5. Have you had any issues with it?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 5:55 PM   #17

A clarification of my photographic background about which some have raised questions.

1) I spent $2,200 for a D30, then the D60 was announced and I bought it.

My H9 can out perform them under almost any shooting conditions.

2) My F828, a great camera, is now horribly slow to me after using my H9.

3) My R1, an HISTORIC TRED SETTING camera, is horribly slow compared to my H9.

4) I shot 35 mm film for years.

5) I shot 6x6 Bronica, 645 Mamiya, extensively.

I know what is good IQ and what is not.

Rudo: I have used many other cameras.

Simon's quoted statementabove is precisely what I am talking about. To me Real Life Images count, and apparently Simon admits his review has other purposes.

Wirraway, I am not worried about Image Quality as my H9 has proven itself to me as I posted its images on these threads.

Caddie, 'Stabs the H9 through the heart'??????????????

Did you get a chance to view my Memorial Day parade images? You are missing something very good in the H9.

Regards,

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 8:17 PM   #18

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Caddie, 'Stabs the H9 through the heart'??????????????

Did you get a chance to view my Memorial Day parade images? You are missing something very good in the H9.

Regards,

Nicholas
yes i did. those are quite average photos. but the one i like themost is one ofyour original size pic:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/...67308/Original

Dark subject, smearing, lack of detailsbackground, plus a bit grainy. i can't believe ppl are willing to spend money to get a 2007 H9for this kindIQ if they have seen this pic.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 8:22 PM   #19

Nick, remember i quite like your east indian kids photos. They look good after cropping(plus some photoshop?). I bet they don't look the same if you let us see the original- uncropped and no work from photoshop.

I hope you're sony employee(no offsense if you are not). SinceIF you really are, everything you said here make more sense.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 9:06 PM   #20

Caddie,

If you look through my threads you will find that I stated that the Sony A100 DSLR Alpha camera is very noisy, physically, and would scare away wildlife.

Sony employees don't post their opinions, at least not that I am aware of.

I respectfully ask that you focus on photographic issues.

None of us want this forum to become like DPR's STF.

The Indian kids were shot at 465mm, handheld. AMAZING, if I must say so myself.

If you read through my threads, you will see many 100% crops and all have any PP info if they underwent PP.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote