Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 29, 2007, 10:19 PM   #21

Nickphoto123,

I have seen most of your H9's and think they are very good. Have you printed any 5x7's and 8x10's and greater? What did you think? I never need to print anything over 8x10 so maybe the H9 would be okay for me also? Of course you know what you are doing in manual mode and I struggle with it. Some of your pics could not get any better!

picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:28 PM   #22

Thank you Picsgalore.

I did not print larger than 8x10.

4x6 and 5x7 is ok for me.

What the 'Pro' reviews seem to omitis this:

I shot my R-1 at 10MP and often cropped more than 60% of the image to get the final verson.

Now I shoot my H9 at 8MP and Zoom into my subject and still get the full 8MP of picture data.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 2:59 AM   #23

I have a 250 Gb external HD, which is close to being full with pictures I've taken with my cameras (Pana LZ2, LC33, LC80and FZ20, Canon S2, Kodak DX6440, H1, D40 and K100D) during the pastcouple ofyears.A small numberof those pictures I've posted here and/or uploaded to Flickr. The rest of them? Well, they are OKandI keep them for various reasons but they are not good enough (IMO) tobeuploaded to any forum. What I'm trying to say is thatwhat is considereda good/great IQ varies fromperson to person. I've seenpeople bragging about images that are close to mediocre to my eyes. Now, what does that really mean? Well, it could mean several different things. I could be very particular about photo quality, or the person posting the image could be a novice and very proud of his/her early work, or...I could go on and on. So, some of the images Nick has posted are very good indeed and it shows that the H9 has capabilities. However, to my eyes, many images are far from being what I consider acceptable (and I'm not taking composition into consideration since it does not have much to do with camera quality), either due to lack of definition, poor focus, PF or whatever. The thing is, I want to assume that the images Nick posted are the best of the batch (that's what I usually do anyway), and if that's indeed the case, I know the H9 is not for me.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:44 AM   #24

'BEST OF THE BATCH????'

I have some galleries of 100+ images. If these are the 'best of the batch', that is pretty good shooting.

My posts are of images showing what the H9 can and cannot capture.

You review and make judgements on their quality.

My Real Life User's review gives you a sound basis for making a judgemet on the H9.

It does seem very clearly that DPReviews H9 Conclusion indeed agrees with my conclusion of my Real Life User's Review.

DPReview's H9 conclusion states the following:

"There is much to praise here, and anyone who thinks you can have a 31-465mm equiv. lens in a $450 compact without some compromise is living in a dream world. If you don't intend to produce big enlargements I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the pictures you get......."

Bottom line; if you want a huge zoom range in an affordable, compact body that offers SLR-like handling, and can be relied on to produce appealing output at normal print sizes with minimal effort, the H9 is a serious option. "

My H9 Conclusion reads: ( Posted here at Steve's on May 11, 2007 ).

"Conclusion details:

For my purposes, the H9 is the best Overall camera I have ever owned.

I am willing to accept whatever compromises Sony has made to make it possible for me to carrya very light, fast operating, precise &faultless Auto Focus, excellent exposure under varying conditions, good noise performance, a reach from 31 mm to 435 mm, plus a usable 75x zoom, fantastic macro capability, face detection that works well,tilt LCD, sldeshows, extremely fast image review, historgram, camera called the DSC-H9.

The Sony H9 has earned my 'Real Life User's'"100% Worth the Money" rating.

The H9 will not become obsolete as fast as other cameras due to the fact the H9 delivers just about all you need in a camera for years to come, at this point in time.

I guess DPReviews words "pleasantly surprised" and 'serious option' is another was of stating my H9 Conclusion.

Thank you for the exchange of ideas.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old May 31, 2007, 7:23 AM   #25

Hmmm conclusions out of context, I guess that would work for anyone. Personally, the following statements from Simon (DPreview) had more of an overall impact then anything else I've seen; and I quote -

[shadow=red]"In reality my experiences with the new flagship Cyber-shot zoom were decidedly mixed, and at times downright disappointing."[/shadow]

or

[shadow=red]"If you think this sounds like me saying 'if you want a big lens 'point and shoot' but don't care too much about image quality' then you're not far wrong."[/shadow]

Funny thing about Simon's review is that his samples gallery has some of the best H9 shots I have ever seen.... either way, it's up to each person who's interested in this camera for them to make up there own minds, after all at the end of the day, if you don't like the pictures your taking it doesn't matter what camera you have, your just not happy.

buda
buda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 7:47 AM   #26

How could quoting from their conclusion be out of context?

DPReview's H9 conclusion states the following:

"There is much to praise here, and anyone who thinks you can have a 31-465mm equiv. lens in a $450 compact without some compromise is living in a dream world. If you don't intend to produce big enlargements I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the pictures you get......."

Bottom line; if you want a huge zoom range in an affordable, compact body that offers SLR-like handling, and can be relied on to produce appealing output at normal print sizes with minimal effort, the H9 is a serious option. "

They liked the H9 according to their own words.

Nicholas
Old May 31, 2007, 9:57 AM   #27

Nick, Nick, Nick, you are really starting to sound like a rabid Sony H9 fanboy.

You like your H9. This is good, but not everyone has your needs or wants in a camera. And for those that do not match your needs and wants, the Sony H9 image quality limitations are a deal breaker.

You are happy with your H9. Maybe you got a very good sample, or maybe you are just not as discerning as others, or maybe they are too discerning. Either way it is not important.

What is important is that you are happy with your camera. But continuing to defend the camera when others see obvious (yes, obvious) flaws in the camera is a bit over the top. Just go take photos with your H9 and enjoy the camera. Is it important if others do not like it or see flaws in it? No.

The H9, like the 828 before it, suffers from some flaws. And just like the 828 before it, those who bought the camera before the professional reviews came out, also were on the forums complaing about the IQ problems and demanding Sony fix the camera. So the lesson is to wait for the professional reviews BEFORE buying.

Have fun and enjoy your camera.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 10:28 AM   #28

I might have to go borrow a H9 next week when I am off to see for my self for the weekend.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 10:56 AM   #29

It seems pointless to parse every word and nuance in the review; Bottom Line the DPreview gave the camera only an "Above Average" rating primarily based on its sub-standard picture quality. A rating that I agree with. While the compromises made may be acceptable for lower tier cameras, this will be a hard crticism to overcome in a camera in the $400-$500 price range where people tend to do a bit more research before putting down this sort of money and there are other cameras in this class with much higher ratings.

I speak from experience since I purchased an H9, used it for two weeks but ended up returning it. I fell in love with the many of the features and the quick performance of the camera but the image problems were evident from the beginning. The H9 is capable of taking some very nice photos but many times the image quality seemed to vary widely across the photo. For those of you thinking you are buying an 8MP camera and getting all the image quality that this would imply, this simply isnt the case.

After returning the H9 I puchased an H5 and I am very happy with it. Yes I miss some of the operating features of the H9 but the difference in performance isnt that that great and the superior image quality of the H5 over the H9 is undeniable.

Steve
KI0MZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:55 PM   #30

Kiomz said:

"
It seems pointless to parse every word and nuance in the review"

Since when quoting sentences in the DPReview H9 Conclusion is ‘parsing every word' as you say.

His ratings change from time to time in what they mean. But his words do not change and have a singular meaning. He liked the H9, as do I.

Amazingthailand said:

"Nick, Nick, Nick, you are really starting to sound like a rabid Sony H9 fanboy.

You like your H9. This is good, but not everyone has your needs or wants in a camera. And for those that do not match your needs and wants, the Sony H9 image quality limitations are a deal breaker."

If you read my threads you would know I am not ‘a rabid Sony H9 fan boy' as you called me.

If you read my posts, you will even find a thread in which I declared that due to the performance of the H9, I believe it was after the air show, I can not be considered an objective reviewer of the H9 ( from that point on). I believe I am the first reviewer of a camera who made such a statement.

I found the thread: Nick said: This Air Show was a perfect testing ground for my H9.

After this shoot I can no longer be Objective in my statements of the H9, but I am still Truthful and Accurate.

Both of you seem to take my H9 Review Conclusion as a criticism of your cameras.

You are wrong. Period. I suggest you re-read my threads.

And I stand by my H9 conclusion. May I suggest you read my 14 image panorama thread?

No comments on what I believe is one of my best images.

Thank you for the exchange of ideas, but no thank you for the personal characterizations.

Regards,

Nicholas