Thanks for the info.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:30 PM   #12

Sintares,

Thanks for the info.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:41 PM   #13

Foxcub66,

For your stated needs, the H9 will serve you very, verywell.

Looking forward to your pics.

Congrats on your Service Award.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:51 AM   #14

Hi Foxcub6, before you decide I would check Simon's review over on DPReview where the H9 only received an above average, the H2 received the "Highly Recommended"

Also check the petition there where 150 posters are calling on Sony to fix the H9:

1. wide-angle blur 2. Nofine/standard setting 3. over compression and aggressive noise reduction 4. Experiencing smearing 5. Sport mode only goes to 1/60 instead of 1/4000 as advertised.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23531976

The H2 is a proven camera.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:41 AM   #15

I guess I must the only one here that really likes or actually uses the Face recognition feature of the H9. :-) My mother is in a nursing home now and when I take pictures if her with my H1 and H5, without tweaking the Program settings, she is usually either washed out with the H1, or the H5 AE (without selecting spot metering or such) is often an averaged exposure between her face and her darker chair or other surroundings. If the grandkids are visiting and my Mom has a fleeting priceless photo moment with them, with the H9 I grab it up, turn it on (very fast and fire. The exposure comes out with the faces of my Mom and my girls perfectly exposed. I don't how many fleeting moments I lost with my other cameras that didn't have this cool feature. It was one of the main reasons the H9 interested me other than the longer zoom. The more priceless moments with my Mom, events such asmy twins'graduation, great photos on our zoo trips, more than makes my H9 a real keeper.

Mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:43 PM   #16

As I understand it Mercurycu the face recognition on the H9only works on auto and portrait is that correct?, I have no problem with any of my 3 Sony cameras with the type of shot you describe, but then again I never use auto and prefer aperture priority with the F707 and H5 and manual with the little W100.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:52 PM   #17

That is correct. But you are missing my point. SureIcanget the shot with my H1 or H5 andI have on many occasions..darn fine shots.:-) But I usually either have to correct the exposure of the flash, + or - EV. or use spot metering to get the faces exposed correctly. If it's not a posed moment, it may be gone while I tweak the other cameras to get the faces correct. It's not if I can, but how fast I can. The advantage of the H9 is setting it aside turned off and on autopilot, then snatching it up, fast on, fastest focus of the H series, and then always the perfectly exposed faces..no matter where they are on the FOV. Doesn't get fooled by dark or light backgrounds, or light or dark clothing or funky lighting.

It's one reason I bought the camera..for my Mom's pictures. And it just so happens the Face Recognition feature works quite well for these family snapshots.

:|mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:47 PM   #18

foxcub6 wrote:
Quote:
hi I have been given a long service award by my employer and wish to buy a new digital camera. The choice in the cataloge is limeted and i fancy a sony i can have the choice of a sony h2 or a h9 having read some of the reviews iam worried about the h9. the photos i take are probably most holiday snaps a few indoor shoots at family gathering etc. your thoughts please
i didn't read others' post. did u mean you can choose either H2 or H9?

If it's true and if i were you, i were definitely pick the H9 without a doubt. don't open the box. Make sure you canfind/buy brand new H2 from your local store. Then sell your H9.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote