Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-34/)
-   -   sony h2 or h9 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony/123186-sony-h2-h9.html)

foxcub6 Jun 7, 2007 7:45 AM

hi I have been given a long service award by my employer and wish to buy a new digital camera. The choice in the cataloge is limeted and i fancy a sony i can have the choice of a sony h2 or a h9 having read some of the reviews iam worried about the h9. the photos i take are probably most holiday snaps a few indoor shoots at family gathering etc. your thoughts please

Mercurycu Jun 7, 2007 10:46 AM

Both are fine cameras. I have a H1, H5, and H9. I find for family shots of groups of people in most times funky indoor lighting, I like the face recognition software. It truly does work and most time the first shot of the group or person is dead on exposed for the face(s):-) to be correct.

I find with the H1, the people's faces tend to be blown out by the flash andI have to tweak the camer/flash settings to get the face(s) exposed correctly for indoor shots. With my fanily groups I try to get spontenaity (by being stealthy :dude:, so the exposure need to be dead on the first time and I have to grab the camera and fire quickly. The h9's face recognition feature excels at this.

For me, the H9 is the fastest focusing of my three H-series cam.

All the H-series cams take great wildlife photos. The H9 has had some criticsm about the lack of a fine jpeg setting and some Compression/NR issues. These haven't affected my picture taking needs. H5 users say the H5 has the "cleanest" image, but the H9 has a better zoom: 15X versus 13X). The H9 has a gloriously large articulating LCD.:|

It boils down to what you want to spend and how you plan to use the camera. IMHO, You can't go wrong either way. Just my feedback here that I loving the H9 for my indoor family photos.

Mercurycu

Cyberf828 Jun 7, 2007 11:17 AM

Mercurycu,

So you think the H5 is the happy medium?

Mercurycu Jun 7, 2007 11:36 AM

The honest answer is I am liking the extra zoom, faster focus, and face recognition features of the H9, and that makes it my first camera to grab when heading out the door. Second is my H5 or Pany FZ30. :-)

As I said, I use them all. But right now the H9 has a slight edge for my needs. :-)

Mercurycu

Cyberf828 Jun 7, 2007 12:09 PM

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:

The honest answer is I am liking the extra zoom, faster focus, and face recognition features of the H9, and that makes it my first camera to grab when heading out the door. Second is my H5 or Pany FZ30. :-)

As I said, I use them all. But right now the H9 has a slight edge for my needs. :-)

Mercurycu
I was wondering with the zoom on the H9 vs the H5 do you think you can tell a big difference from 13x to 15x? I bought a teleconverter lens for far away shots and tried it out last weekend at the lake. It was nice to zoom in on the boats that were far out in the lake.

Mercurycu Jun 7, 2007 2:24 PM

I find the extra zoom noticable. It's come in quite handy at events such as graduations and zoos. :-)

Mercurycu

Cyberf828 Jun 7, 2007 3:16 PM

foxcub6,

If you are unsure and in a area that will allow you to try it out and return without a restocking fee I would demo them both. I am in a area that has a Sony outlet and they have everything setup for you to try before you buy or buy and return in 14 days with a 100% refund no restocking fee. So far everytime I am there the H9 is sold out. :roll: I will try again this weekend for one :-)

Sintares Jun 7, 2007 4:31 PM

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:

I was wondering with the zoom on the H9 vs the H5 do you think you can tell a big difference from 13x to 15x? I bought a teleconverter lens for far away shots and tried it out last weekend at the lake. It was nice to zoom in on the boats that were far out in the lake.
Just remember the difference at tele is only (h5) 432mm, (h9) 465mm , ie a difference of only around 8%, barely noticeable in most shots.

Wide angle is where the difference shows the mostbut according to most pro reviews and user reviews wide angle shows the deficiencies of the lens and many say they have to zoom in to x2 or x3to negate the most obvious problems.

Also factor in the slowness of the lens at tele compared to the H5, its about 2/3 of a stop iirc (f4.5 vs f3.7)

The H9 does of course focus very fast and the predictive focus is excellent so many shots that would be difficult with the older cameras are a lot easier.

You may also want to consider the H2, it is generally considered to be the best balance of picture quality vs megapixels of the entire H series, though some claim the H1 is still the best for water shots..

foxcub6 Jun 7, 2007 5:24 PM

Thanks to all who has given me there advise i think i will go for the h9 . At the moment i have a kodak z 400 4meg and the photos are surprisiingly very good cant wait untill the new h9 arrives .cos its mail order no doupt it will take awhile.if the company would give me the cash i could have saved a small fortuneby buying it on the net but its from a gift book and you dont have much choise. I will let you know how i get on when it arrives.

foxcub6 Jun 7, 2007 5:26 PM

.if