Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:42 AM   #1

Hello All,

Well, the H9 is really getting bad publicity in 'PRO' and 'User' Reviews.

The most severe reports on the H9 are coming from some who have read and digested all the reviews and then make their own 'authoratative' assertions on the capabilities of the H9, without ever even holding the H9.

My review offered you images out of the camera, and not many opinions 'out of my mouth'.

On Wednesday we tried some OFF Camera Flash Location shots.

The prints came out three demensional, IMHO.

I want to present one of my images from this shoot. It was PP with Auto Levels and Focus Magic at Level 1, then cropped to 4x6 at 300 DPI and saved as a Tiff file.

It is Amazing to me how much time I save with the H9's images. At most I only have to do Auto Levels and maybe Focus Magic. My R-1 always required Color Adjustments, etc.

I then took the Tiff file and made 3 100% crops of this image and saved as Jpeg Level 10 for posting here at Steve's. The 4x6 tiff file has been reduced to 550 pixels wide and is posted for reference only. The 100% crops are what I want to show you.

After your review of these crops, perhaps you will have an accurate view of the H9's capabilities.

You may like or not like what you see, but at least your opinion will be based on reality.

IMHO, for the Cost, Light Weight, AF accuracy, Functioning Speed, Review Speed, the H9 is a remarkable piece of photographic equipment.

Four images follow:
Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:45 AM   #2

Image 2 of 4:
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:48 AM   #3

Image 3 of 4:
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:51 AM   #4

Image 4 of 4:

Regards,

Nicholas
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:02 AM   #5

Very good examples Nick. I have been very pleased so far with my H9. I will be making my trip to Alaska soon and I'll have a much better idea if it will do the things I bought it to do.

Charlie
CB401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6

In the meantime, DCRP has posted some sample S5 images that can be directly compared with the H9. It's clear that Canon has gotten much better results from Sony's sensor than Sony has. See this post from the Sony forum:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=23548771

Note: The S5 images are the upper ones, the H9 are the lower. The difference is quite obvious.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:39 AM   #7

I know I am being prejudiced here, but after the Canon S1 I will *never, ever* own another piece ofCanon *anything*. That camera had the **worst** autofocus I have ever had on any digicam in 10 years. It either hunted and hunted before it found a focus at the extreme telephoto or most times it couldn't find one at all. Ugh...

I know I read one post on the STF, I think, where a couple had bought an H9 for her and an S3 for him. They felt her H9 was leaps and bounds better that the S3 and returned it for another H9.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...on+s3&qf=m

Sorry guys..I love all my Sony, Pany, and Olympus UZs, but I absolutely **detest** the Canon one that I have. It's a worthless piece of paperweight plastic. Another IS UZ camera that I bought about the same time, the Pany FZ20 **blows** it out of the water.

Mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:05 AM   #8

Hi Mercurycu, the above post refers only to image quality, you may well be right on the Canonauto-focus, again as with the H9 will be interested to wait andsee the DPReview, Steve's and DCResource proper reviews, with the Orly and H9 getting the thumbs down from so many camera sites we will have to see how this Canon Superzoom shapes up against the 2.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:19 AM   #9

That Canon also had the worst image quality of any of my UZs. The images were always "soft". Color was mediocre. The LCD was tiny. It was the only digicam thatI ever regretted buying. Shortly thereafter the FZ20 came out and I bought it, and never used the Canon again. The Canon had tempted me because it had IS and Oly had dropped IS from their UZs. I was hot to try the first available IS UZ in several years. After the Pany FZ20, I started getting the H series IS UZs and liked all of them too. I just really had a *dreadful* experience with that Canon.

BTW, I also tried a Nikon 8800 IS UZ, and it was OK, but didn't like the fact the long end of the Zoom had such a poor F stop - Lens slow at telephoto (F5.2) . Also I couldn't turn off the blinding orange AF assist light which prohibited using it to take photos of actor panels at Sci-Fi conventions.

I have, by far, had my best results with the H series and Pany FZ series.

Mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:05 PM   #10

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mercurycu, the above post refers only to image quality, you may well be right on the Canonauto-focus, again as with the H9 will be interested to wait andsee the DPReview, Steve's and DCResource proper reviews, with the Orly and H9 getting the thumbs down from so many camera sites we will have to see how this Canon Superzoom shapes up against the 2.
Wirraway,

I respectfully request that you represent other review site's comments on the H9 fairly and accurately. You can lead newvisitors to this Sony Forum at Steves-Digicams in the wrong direction.

DPReview's H9 conclusion states the following:

"There is much to praise here, and anyone who thinks you can have a 31-465mm equiv. lens in a $450 compact without some compromise is living in a dream world. If you don't intend to produce big enlargements I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the pictures you get......."

Bottom line; if you want a huge zoom range in an affordable, compact body that offers SLR-like handling, and can be relied on to produce appealing output at normal print sizes with minimal effort, the H9 is a serious option. "

They liked the H9 according to their own words,

They liked the H9 according to their own words,

They liked the H9 according to their own words,:-D

They liked the H9 according to their own words:-).

Nicholas