Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:45 PM   #1

Hey,
I am interested in a camera taking great sport photos and exceptional video. I am currently working with a cannon powershot A80 and am looking to upgrade. I have been recomended to the Sony h9 and the canon s3, what do you guys think?

I am a heelys (wheeled shoe) skater so i need a fast camera without blur or sound, thanks let me know if you can help me out!

P.S. here is a link to a video taken with my A80, i am only willing to upgrade if you think the video of the H9 will match or (preferably) surpass the quality of this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6qOQv6rCGu4
heely hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:01 PM   #2

Hello heely hailey,

If you want better video I would say go with a Digital camcorder. I have a H5 I know its not a H9 but I would have to say my Digital camcorder is way better.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:04 PM   #3

thanks, have you any experience with Canons?

If i were to get either the Canon S3 or the H9 which would you say was betteR?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:20 AM   #4

Its all user preference I would have to say I am a big Sony camera fan and that's all I buy so my opinion won't help you. I have a Sony F828, Sony H5 and a Sony P73 all take great photos to me. Also if you are in a area like I am that allows you to buy and return with 100% return I would say buy it and demo it to see if you would like it.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:16 PM   #5

Thanks, any one elses opinion I can catch? I am going to order the camera over the weekend
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:42 PM   #6

heely hailey wrote:
Quote:
Hey,
I am interested in a camera taking great sport photos and exceptional video. I am currently working with a cannon powershot A80 and am looking to upgrade. I have been recomended to the Sony h9 and the canon s3, what do you guys think?

I am a heelys (wheeled shoe) skater so i need a fast camera without blur or sound, thanks let me know if you can help me out!

P.S. here is a link to a video taken with my A80, i am only willing to upgrade if you think the video of the H9 will match or (preferably) surpass the quality of this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6qOQv6rCGu4
A80 movie ability is 320 x 240, 15 fps, max 3 mins.

most cameras today are equiped with 640x480, 30 fps till your card is full (canon G7 and some pana has higher resol). so if you buy a new camera today, i bet your video qualitywill be an upgrade for sure.

Sony or Canon?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/page15.asp

i jumped from Olym C765(i chose between C765 and A80 long ago then i chose C765 for 640x480 movie and ....) to Sony H2. I wanted to buy H9 but... something something..

i'm 95% happy with H2. so good luck to your camera hunt.

ps: your A80 has swivel LCD right? if you can't live without it, wait for Canon S5 if you want.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:39 PM   #7

Thanks Caddie,
I could totally live without the swivel screen, plus the tilt screen looks like a nice feature on the H9.
I think I'm going for the H9, little delay on that, couldn't buy over the weekend, parents weren't(and still arent)sure a 12 year old needs a $500 camera. I found the H9 for $379 though, which seems to be a great deal, plus then i still have enough to buy some accessories within my budget.
Accessory wise, I am thinking about getting:
-
  • 0.45x Digital Wide Angle Macro Professional Series Lens[/*]
  • Delux Padded Carrying Case[/*]
  • 5 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit[/*]
  • 3 Filters (UV, Polarizer, Fluorescent)[/*]
  • Table Top Tripod[/*]
  • Larger Sized (extends to 46 inch) Tripod[/*]
  • A Microfiber Cleaning Cloth[/*]
  • and a 1 Year Prescription to PCPhoto Magazine,[/*]
I feel the Magazine might be a good introduction into the world of photography (plus, it comes with the package I'm planning to buy :G)
And on a few other sites i visited they recomended a wider lens, I know this one isn't too large of a step, but it will hopefully make some difference.
I also take alot of outdoor pictures when we have parties and such, and am hoping the filters will help with some lighting problems
As for the tripods, I'm sometimes making videos alone, and usually just set the camera on the ground. But if I'm paying $500 for a camera I think a tripod might better fit the situation .
And everything else is basically maintnence. I'm hoping this camera will last me a long time.

I'm sure there's got to be some accessory (besides a memory stick, which I already have) that I'm missing, anything else I should be buying?
Thanks,

Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:01 AM   #8

heely hailey wrote:
Quote:
  • 0.45x Digital Wide Angle Macro Professional Series Lens [/*]
  • Delux Padded Carrying Case [/*]
  • 5 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit [/*]
  • 3 Filters (UV, Polarizer, Fluorescent) [/*]
  • Table Top Tripod [/*]
  • Larger Sized (extends to 46 inch) Tripod [/*]
  • A Microfiber Cleaning Cloth [/*]
  • and a 1 Year Prescription to PCPhoto Magazine,
[/*]

Oh dear, a feeling of dread is coming over me, thats not a "ebay special" is it ?

Seriously, those cheap wide angles, tcons and filters are going to be crap...

A decent wide angle or tcons costs $100+. even more if you buy the bigger sized ones, new out for the H9.

Really only buy wide angle or tcons from people like Raynox or Sony themselves.

The cheap ones from ebay might be interesting for a week, but not when find yourself post processing for hours trying to cure the distortion, softness and blurring caused by the cheap glass which many people believe is simply filed of the end of a coke bottle.. :lol:

Addon lenses from Tokina, Opteka, Crystal Optics, CrystalView, avoid.

Addon lenses described as "digital, Hi-def, Professional, Titianium", avoid.

One other thing to remember is the H9 takes totally non standard sized filters.

The adapter included is 74mm, and the only company making stuff that size is Sony.

To use more standard sized filters you will need a stepdown ring, such as the excellent ones made by Pemaraal.

Note that Pemaraal will also be introducing in late June a replacement for the bulky plastic adapter supplied with the H9, see here.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:35 AM   #9

heely hailey wrote:
Quote:
I think I'm going for the H9, little delay on that, couldn't buy over the weekend, parents weren't(and still arent)sure a 12 year old needs a $500 camera. I found the H9 for $379 though, which seems to be a great deal, plus then i still have enough to buy some accessories within my budget.

Hi Heely Hailey,

Sounds as if you did not commit to a purchase yet.

My 2 cents:

As a Newbie, I believe you should get only one Accessory, the Sony 74mm UV filter to protect your lens.

All those other package add ons are not usually of value.

The web offers free photography lessons and the latest news no magazine can match.

For the H9, a 'Memory Stick Pro Duo' is what I use.

You will be able to learn and shoot almost any type of photography with your H9. As you learn you can then budget for and buy accessories.

IMHO, it won't become 'obsolete' too soon, as you can capture just about anything you will point your H9 at.

I would be very skeptical about the $379 price for the H9 ( if that is US $ ).

Cheap is usually Expensive.

Make sure you research your Seller. There are many reputable ones.

Good luck on your decision.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:54 AM   #10

The store where the camera was $379 was http://www.zoommania.com , it's currently out of stock though. My BestBuy matches price of competitors, so hopefully I can get it through them.

It was an ebay special indeed, not a good sign?? It comes with a "Full 10 year USA Warranty" which made me quite a bit more comfortable regarding the lens.