Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:42 AM   #1

Hi All,

We had a great time at my great Niece's First Birthday on Saturday.

H9 -PP was Auto Levels, Focus Magic, Cropped some images, Cloned out a few distractions:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/3015054/1

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:01 AM   #2

Great pictures! Looks like everyone had fun!

Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question, but what is Focus Magic? Some sort of editing program? If so, is it a free program?
heely hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3

Nick-

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos with us. Did you also see that an H-9 photo was selected to be the "Photo of the Day" today (06/18).

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:14 PM   #4

Hi All,

Glad you liked the images. She is a real beauty as my mother would say.

H9 makes photo of the day, Thanks for the alert Sarah Joyce. It is really a work of photographic art. A great image of ordinary subjects.

Heely Hailey,

Focus Magic is not free but it is inexpensive and worth every penny, my best piece of software.

Here is my reply in another thread about Focus Magic:

" FOCUS MAGIC is a software program that can sharpen your images without leaving artifacts.

It can also focus some blurry shots by your determinning the direction and number of pixels of the blur.

It is perhaps the most important program I use. It can be used as a stand alone and as a plug-in to Photoshop.

Here is their site, which is very good reading. Try their trial and you will be able to make a knowledgeable decision on its value:

http://www.focusmagic.com/ "

Regards,

Nicholas

Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:17 AM   #5

Thanks Nick

I also took my 2 daughters to a birthday party on the weekend, here are my photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bradjack...onaldsJune2007

The more I use my H9, the more I learn how to shoot great photos with it.

The biggest tip I can give H9 owners is to avoid the auto and portraitmodes in low light situations (dimly lit indoor shots for example) as the camera tends to want to push the ISO up as high as 400. I experience the problems of detail loss and smearing at these ISO levels.

The face detection (really awesome feature)only works in these 2 modes (Auto and Portrait), so I find it best to sacrifice face detection for better image quality and use P mode with ISO 100 in low light situations.

By sticking to thismethod I have very few messed up shots, and the ones where face detection was used in good lighting are extremely well focussed.
bradjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:31 AM   #6

Kevin,

Great shots of a great time, thanks for showing.

Your shooting tip is very useful to you. I will try it. I am not too afraid of ISO 400 or even 800depending on the conditions.

I really liked images 2, 10 & 11, where you got down to the kids eye level ( with your tilt LCD) I am sure.

When I shoot a series of shots from my eyelevel , my vantage point becomes too obvious in a presentation of my images. The tilt LCD of my H9 helps me avoid this problem.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:19 AM   #7

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Focus Magic is not free but it is inexpensive and worth every penny, my best piece of software.
I like Focus Magic too, but I find the lack of batch processing a bit hard to swallow...
Even if I only have a dozen pics to process, it turns into a rather tedious process.

muddyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:30 AM   #8

Yes Nick

I use the tilt LCDa lotof the time, in fact I findI am getting into the habbitunclipping it and extending it even without tilting it. I have found that I can access the controls a lot easierand my thumb doesnt obscurethe display at all.

Apart from the low angle shots, some of these shots were also taken from way above my head.

I used to own a Sony DSC S50 (before my V3) which also had a tilt screen which I loved. One thing I miss on the H9 though, is the ability to tilt the screen more than 180 degrees.This ishandy for composing self portrait, timer shots. And with the remote control and such a large LCD that you can see from a distance,it would add a whole new dimension to taking self portraits.
bradjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:40 PM   #9

I really like the birthday party photos.

Nick,

My favorite is #41. Is that twins that I see in some of the pictures? :-)

bradjackson,

I love #27.

Great pictures! -- mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:21 AM   #10

Yes, my Niece's twin boys.

They are full of energy.

Thanks,

Nicholas