Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:32 PM   #1

Would you help me with settings on my Sony DSC-H-9 to best picture settings for a shot of the inside of my garage. I would be facing the sun and taking a picture of the garage from 25 feet into a shaded area. I would like to know what aperture, OEV, F.stop, shutter speed and Iso.

I appreciate any help you might give me,

sunbeam35
Sunbeam35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2

Sorry, I am a bit confused about your shoot positions.

You are standing 25' outside of your garage, looking into your garage with the sun in your eyes, and your garage entrance is in the shade?

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:49 PM   #3

Dear Nick

Yes, my garage door faces West therefore if I try to take pictures in the morning my camera would be facing the sun. It is like taking a picture of the inside of a tunnel. Perhaps I am my own worste enemy here and I should tke afternoon pictures. Does this give you a better idea of my question?

Regards,

sunbeam
Sunbeam35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:58 AM   #4

Hi Sunbeam35,

For special outdoor images where I want as much detail and color as possible, I prefer waiting for an overcast day. If you have the time to wait for such a day.

If not I suggest the following with you facing the sun:

Block the sun with your hand as you view the scene on your LCD. Create a shadow over the front of your lens.

Standing 25' in front of your open garage, zoom in to fill the viewfinder with your garage, avoiding the front walls and sun. With such an image you can use balanced exposure in the frame. ( press your left button behind the shutter button ).

If you want the front walls of the garage to be in the image, you can use central point exposure on the inside of your garage. You will likely burnout other parts of the image.

Try different variations and check your LCD until youseethe image you want.

But for showing the garage as part of the entire house view, I would wait for the overcast day.

Hope this helps a little.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote