Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 24, 2007, 5:07 PM   #11

Yes, ignore nick, he is very much a drooling Sony fanboy.

The professional reviews are in and they all cite IQ problems with the H9. Now that is not to say that the H9 will not be a good camera for some (nick apparantly), but for others, the IQ issues are too much. Your money, your decision.

I think Sony made a mistake in their implementation of the H9. They could fix some of the issues with a firmware fix, but it is unlikely. The question is, will Sony learn from this mistake in future camras?
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:38 PM   #12

Just picked up a Nikon D40 after returning the H9... am happy over 900% so far!
ricanlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:15 PM   #13

Good Shooting with your D40.

Tip, if I may: Your two pictures were under exposed for the subject due to the flash bouncing back to the camera and fooling the H9's exposure Auto setting.

Your two images are properly exposed for the wall but not the subject.

Your lack of knowledge at this stage of your photography causedyou to make a wrong judgement about these two images.

Re-shoot these two with your D40 on Auto and you will get a similiar incorrect exposure for the same reason.

Again, good shooting with your new D40.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:39 PM   #14

My lack of Knowledge?

lol

You Are a Sony FANBOY!

i just took those pictures again with my Nikon and quess what.... AWESOME pictures, the H9 Sucks....

point blank!

Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:04 PM   #15

If you shoot them on Auto with your D40 you will have an incorrect exposure.

You will also have an incorrect exposure with a Canon 1DS, or an H9 under the same conditions.

You should change your vulgar language as children aspiring to be photographers are reading these forums.

And yes, your posted images and your comments about them indicate you are lacking knowledge of the issues involved. I make this statement only to alertothers reading this forum.

Nicholas
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:11 PM   #16

fair comment nick about exposure ,I would imagine the camera gave the correct exposure for the white wall rather than the face.which brings me to the question had he used this face detection on the h9 would it have been better exposed ? i would imagine that it would also it may be possible that elec light was used in the picture giving the picture that yellow tinge i see the flash on the wall behind her head also the camera may have picked up the daylight from the window fooling the exposure even more
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:42 PM   #17

Hi Foxcub6,

Yes, you are right. This is what Sony's face detection was designed for.

I have one caution about the Sony H9's Face detection ( i previously posted about this issue ):

If you place the Grid Lines on your EVF/LCD, you will see 9 boxes created by the Grid lines.

It is my expierience that your subject's face must be at least the size of 1/2 of these boxes ( approximately ). I am trying to say that the area of the subject's face must be about the area of 1/2 of one of the 9 boxes created by the grid lines or larger.

Any smaller and my H9 won't recognize a face. Any larger it always works.

It sets Focus, Ambient Exposure, Flash Exposure and WB on the face. It is great and your mentioning it adds value to the debate in this thread.

Thank you,

Nicholas
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:26 PM   #18

I just did the reshoot with the Kit Lens and set to auto... look at the quality, no noise on my daughters face, no artifacts nothing, face it, H9 is a terrible camera....

these pics were takig in Auto and the same conditions as before.

with nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:

Re-shoot these two with your D40 on Auto and you will get a similiar incorrect exposure for the same reason.

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:27 PM   #19

Hi Rincanlinx,

Your daughter is a very patient subject.

Your second two shots prove what I have been saying.

You made an incorrect observation on your H9 images posted above, and, if I may state, your lack of knowledge on these issues is still showing a bit.

Your D40 images were shot with the center of the lens above your subject's face, way above her face.

Your camera was pointed down a bit and this caused the flash to bounce off the wall and reflect toward the floor rather than your lens. Your camera's exposure was 'more correct' as you did not have the flash bounce back into your lens as you did with your H9 images.

This 'morecorrect' exposure due to your pointing the camera downward would naturally minimize any noise at a given ISO.

Images shot at a given ISO and at a correct exposure have less noise than onse shot at an incorrect exposure.

Your H9 image was noisy due to an under exposure. Your D40 image has less noise, in part, due to your pointing your camera downward, enabling your camera to avoid being fooled by a pre-flash bouncing back from the wall, and avoiding an under exposure of the image. ( I am not comparingthe noise characteristics of your D40's sensor with the H9's sensor ) I am stating that the lower noise in your D40 images as you compared them to your h9 images is due in part to the H9 images being under exposed and your d40 images a bit closer to the correct exposure.

Hopefully now you can see that your comment "..the H9 is a terrible camera" was based on improper use of the camera in this instance.

Good shooting with your D40.

Nicholas
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:58 PM   #20

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the mean time buy what you like.
Quote:
How helpful is this suggestion. People visit ths site to learn about photography and cameras. Now you are informed that you should 'buy what you like'.
You should always buy what you like.

You for example decided to use the H9 even with its apparent (if only to others) flaws and thats a valid choice, you bought what you liked.

Others may consider that a poor choice and may present reasons they think its a wrong choice, but as long as the user likes the camera thats a valid and legitimate choice.

Thus we are both free to present our reasons for or against the H9 to those who ask, but in the end the choice is theirs, not ours.

Just because a camera produces or does not produce the best images is never the best reason to buy it, especially if it does not "feel right" to you.

Buying a camera that you are going to use for the next couple of years is a very personal choice.

A camera that takes the best shots, may still not feel right in your hands, or may have a menu system that irritates orhave a poor "looking down a tunnel" viewfinder.

While image choice is a major factor, you still have to weigh up and consider the other tangible and intangible factors.

After reading reviews, looking at and printing test shots and actually using the camera the various factors are weighed and you make the personal decision, ie you buy whatever you like, based on your personal criteria.

After all pop into any dslr forum and see the scorn poured on those "poor misguided fools pretending to be photographers while using little toy cameras"

I couldprobablytakebetter pictures with a $5000 dslr and a couple of tons of "L" glass but then again, how often would I actually carry all that stuff?

A picture taken with a comfortable to carry digicam even if it is grainy with highlights clipped, is much preferred to the perfect picture that you never took due to not carrying the weighty backpack with all your stuff.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote