Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:55 PM   #1

I upgraded from a H5 to a H9 yesturday, took the camera out with me and thought that i'd get steller shots but i was disappointed.

This Link Is from todays shots from the H9 (notice all shots look pixelated)
http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=37137

And here is a Link to my Past H5 pictures... (notice how clear and crisp they are)
http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=36388

I took these pictures of my daughter today: Aweful!

The picture has soo much noise and it was on Auto...

Overall if you compare the two the H5 takes 10X better pictures.

i'm dissappointed and will be returnign the camera for cash back. Am i doing something wrong? please help me with some settings.... before i take this back to best buy!
ricanlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:36 AM   #2

Try locking the camera down to a lower ISO instead of auto, 400 is poor on the H9

Also try shooting in 5mp mode, less compression is used.

You are aware of the well documented problems suffered by many (all?) H9s??

There are various posts by disappointed people in various forums and indeed as you have found the H5 beats it in image quality, plus all the pro' reviews have been less than stellar.

However try not to mention the problems in this forum, some of the people who are happy with the camera take criticism of the camera as a personal insult and can get quite heated.

:sad:

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:55 AM   #3

Ricanlinx,

Please ignore Sintares' comments about H9 users who post on this forum.

He has an agenda, IMHO.

The H9 has a learning curve and it is well worth it.

If you have the time, I humbly suggest you read my H9 Real Life User's Review presented here in this Sony Forum at Steve's Digicams, in the form of separate threads for various shoots with the H9.

You will learn what the H9 is capable of from actual shoots and images.

Don't mind those who set themselves up as Reviewers of the Reviewers. Their words can be mis-leading and even cost you real money.

Congratulations on your H9.

********* BY THE WAY, HOW DID YOU POST A 613 KB IMAGE WHEN THE LIMIT IS 250 KB???????????????????????????????????

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 1:56 AM   #4

i think the sony h9 is a big no for me(after seeing this pics),was planning to get it i think better of with canon s5is not sure though,recently got a rollei prego 1325 as a p&s camera(pretty satisfied with it does its job well) and was looking out for a more advanced camera where you can play around with the settings
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:23 AM   #5

Ricanlinx,

Just ignore nickphoto123, while he can get some nice images out of the H9 he seems to regard all those reviewers who review cameras for a living, and who actually found fault with the H9 as wrong.

Those non reviewers (aka us the customers) upgrading from the excellent H5 and H2 who found fault (and indeed returned the H9 for a replacement several times with no luck) also draw his ire.

He seems to regard us poor saps as Canon fanboys trying to sabotage poor little Sony.

We are hoping anyday now to see his own review site up and running so we can see how reviews are meant to be done.

In the mean time buy what you like.

If you want a fast focusing camera with a huge range, a vast screen and a great burst mode then the H9 is probably the digicam you want.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:04 AM   #6

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Ricanlinx,

Just ignore nickphoto123, while he can get some nice images out of the H9 he seems to regard all those reviewers who review cameras for a living, and who actually found fault with the H9 as wrong.
Quote:
DPReview's conclusion reads: "There is much to praise here, and anyone who thinks you can have a 31-465mm equiv. lens in a $450 compact without some compromise is living in a dream world. If you don't intend to produce big enlargements I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the pictures you get."
Quote:
It also reads: " Bottom line; if you want a huge zoom range in an affordable, compact body that offers SLR-like handling, and can be relied on to produce appealing output at normal print sizes with minimal effort, the H9 is a serious option."

Those non reviewers (aka us the customers) upgrading from the excellent H5 and H2 who found fault (and indeed returned the H9 for a replacement several times with no luck) also draw his ire.
Quote:
I have never commented on any other camera than the H9, nor about users of any other camera.

He seems to regard us poor saps as Canon fanboys trying to sabotage poor little Sony.
Quote:
I respect people too much to think of anyone as a Sap. I have no idea or concern about the type of camera he uses.

We are hoping anyday now to see his own review site up and running so we can see how reviews are meant to be done.
Quote:
Everyone has my review right here at Steve's Digicams. It is straight forward, lucid, accurate, un-biased, and doesn't tryto sell you anything.

In the mean time buy what you like.
Quote:
How helpful is this suggestion. People visit ths site to learn about photography and cameras. Now you are informed that you should 'buy what you like'.

If you want a fast focusing camera with a huge range, a vast screen and a great burst mode then the H9 is probably the digicam you want.
Quote:
He forgot to add great children photography, amazing macro phtography,great built-in flash, great exposure performance, full manual control, a great learning tool, etc.

I enjoyed this little debate, especially knowing readers can discern what may be best for them regarding a digital camera purchase.

Respectfully,

Nicholas

P.S.
********* BY THE WAY, HOW DID YOU POST A 613 KB IMAGE WHEN THE LIMIT IS 250 KB???????????????????????????????????

Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:09 AM   #7

Man, sorry guys, i didn;t mean to start a fight, i was just acknowledging that the H9 picture quality realy sucks, i been using camera for 7 years now, and the quality of this camera is far worse than any i can remember.

the h% produced great images, but had shutter buttons problems, and now the H9 is a great overall camera but the Image qualirt sucks major...

i'm very disappointed and plan on taking the camera back today even if i lsoe the 14 percent restocking fee.

i will look at other camera now....

EDIT...

i use Photobucker as an image uploader, never upload your imaged into forum, but use HTML to post them...

example.... get the address of the picture byt right clicking on image and copying the address...

after wards type in the forums...

[img]<paste the address here>[\img]

and then you're all set.

this camera sucks major, sorry!
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8

Man, sorry guys, i didn;t mean to start a fight, i was just acknowledging that the H9 picture quality realy sucks, i been using camera for 7 years now, and the quality of this camera is far worse than any i can remember.

the h% produced great images, but had shutter buttons problems, and now the H9 is a great overall camera but the Image qualirt sucks major...

i'm very disappointed and plan on taking the camera back today even if i lsoe the 14 percent restocking fee.

i will look at other camera now....

EDIT...

i use Photobucker as an image uploader, never upload your imaged into forum, but use HTML to post them...

example.... get the address of the picture byt right clicking on image and copying the address...

after wards type in the forums...

[img]<paste the address here>[\img]

and then you're all set.

this camera sucks major, sorry!
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:11 AM   #9

None of Us fight here at Steve's.

Sintares, Wirraway, myself, others participate ina memorable exchange of ideas and opinions which we are not hestitant to express.

It is not a fight.

In the end we have all increased our knowledge of photography and of ourselves as well, while on a very civil playing field.

And.... about all of this I know...I am right.:-)

Thanks for the link info, I will try it.

Nicholas

Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:22 PM   #10

Yeah, i'm returning the camera back today and picking up an Sony DSC-H5...

I tested the video quality of the H9 as well and it's just as worst as the pictures...

Give mea break 479.00 for this POS...

what a waste of my time and money....