Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:08 AM   #1

Jeff Keller over on dcresource has just reviewed the H9, like the other pro reviews on the H9 was not impressed with image quality, just a small exerpt from this new review:

How Does it Compare?

Generally speaking, new cameras are improvements over their predecessors. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9. In most respects, it's actually worse than the DSC-H5 that came before it, which was generally regarded as one of the best ultra zoom cameras on the market. While some changes were for the better (more zoom power and improved camera performance), the H9 disappoints in several areas, most notably image quality, build quality, and usability. It's a decent choice for the 4 x 6 crowd, but fans of large prints, 100% on-screen viewing, or high ISO shooting should probably steer clear of the DSC-H9.

A camera can have all the bells and whistles in the world, but all that means nothing if it can't take a decent photo. It is here where I was most disappointed with the DSC-H9. Photos had good exposure and color, but those are about the only positives I can list. The camera applies too much noise reduction to photos, making them soft, with fine details smudged.

Of coarse Nick will say this pro reviewer like all the others is deadwrong.

Full dcresource H9 review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:13 AM   #2

What round are we on the H9?? That's all I hear is how bad this camera is did I miss any good reviews?I amvery disappointed cause I am a Sony fan and this just sets them back.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:24 AM   #3

So, it appears to be fairly conclusive that Sony screwed the pooch with the H9. But is that important? I say no. What is important is whether Sony can learn from their mistakes with the H9 and not repeat them with the next generation of cameras.

However, the real problem may be that the H9 will be quite adequat for the vast majority of the H9 buying public (nick included). It is therefor conceivable that Sony will not get the message. Hopefully they read the professional reviews and take heart.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:25 AM   #4

Wirraway,

Please report accurately. I NEVER SAID ANY REVIEWER WAS DEAD WRONG.

I did report DPReview gave two very positive views on the H9 in their conclusion, about which all of you nay sayers won't acknowledge.

DCResource is high caliber just as Steves-Digicams is.

I have not read their review yet.

But your quote of their conclusion :"... but fans of large prints, 100% on-screen viewing, or high ISO shooting should probably steer clear of the DSC-H9..."

should read: " but fans of large prints, 100% on-screen viewing, or high ISO shooting should probably steer clear of any point & shoot or bridge camera."

( this does not include my R-1 which IMHO, is in its own class ).

If you want :"... large prints, 100% on-screen viewing, or high ISO shooting, why are you looking at the H9 in the first place? And then you post negatively about the H9 when all you are doing is reaching beyond what the normal expectations for such type of camera are. Then, in the meantime you are providing invalid information to other visitors about the H9 saying it is no good.

This is why I decided to provide my "Real Life User's H9 Review". To provide accurate, unbiased information to others about the H9, so they can decide by themselves.

Thanks for the exchange of ideas.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:26 AM   #5

Yep, I only have 3 cameras and their all Sony's (H5-W100-F707)and very happy with them, it is not only the latestH9 thathas dodgy image quality but also the newDSC-W200 which I was very interested in, just hope that next years releases remedies these problems, looking at a number of images from the new Canon S5 which uses the same sensorseem tonot have as many problems with image quality.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:39 AM   #6

Nick, people would get a better idea of the H9's capabilities by looking at Pbase where there are over 1100 shots by 27 different photographers, than just one persons view,at least most of the shots there have exif data which is very usefull,check it out here: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_h9
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:00 AM   #7

Yes, that is always useful, but EXIFpaints an incomplete picture due to the fact the shooting conditions are not revealed.

The H9 performs well under almost every type of photography I have tried it on, all IMHO, of course.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:42 PM   #8

Nick is used to these kinds of reviews. He's still happy, isn't he?:blah:
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:44 PM   #9

Well in Nicks eyes the camera suits him for his needs and hes happy with it. I still have not got a chance to use one yet to see if its a big difference from the H5 and F828 I have. I am very happy with my H5 but if someone was bashing it for its flaws I wouldn't be offended at the comments. I would like other H9 users to post if they are having the issues as the other sites are stating. but I don't think there are too many here. What I am wondering on some of sites where the everyday Joe is bashing it I wonder what they have the settings on and if they know how to properly set the camera up?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:00 PM   #10

That was asked many times over at dpreview and while many newbies had the problems, so did those classed as pro or semi pro, ie those people who hold exhibitions of their work, make their living with dslrsand have been shooting digital since the first <1mp cameras came out.

I am afraid the argument of "they don't know the best settings" was quickly dispelled.

Remember some of these people took several thousand shots and didn't rush the process of learning a new camera, several returneditfor a replacementtwo or three timesand they still decided to reject it and drop back to the H5 or H2 as a general "carry anywhere" camera.

Thats not to say its a disaster, the burst mode is fun and the tilting screen is useful, and it can capture bird in flight a lot better than the older models, so its fine for many people.

With a tweaked firmware it could be excellent, I would just ask they also update the menu design and hopefully shame whoever designed that disaster of a menu into performing ritual suicide and post the video on YouTube...

Sony menus have always been poor but the new one veers into deliberate sabotage...
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote