Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:42 AM   #1

[shadow=red]I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH REVIEWS ON H9 ON VARIOUS SITES.MOST OF THESE WERE POFESSIONAL REVIEWS. THEN I CAME ACROSS VERSIONS OF NICHOLAS.

WHAT BAFFLES ME IS THE DEGREE OF DIFFERENT OPINIONS IN THE VERSION PUT BY OTHERS AND NICHOLAS.

WHAT ADDS TO MY ANXIETY IS THAT MY H9 IS ALREADY ON THE WAY AND I SHALL GET IT IN ABT 2 WEEKS NOW. AND SUCH A PREJUDICIAL VIEW ABT IT BY MANY IS BOTHERING ME.

WHAT I FEEL IS THT SITES LIKE DPREVIEW TAKE CRITICISM TO THE EXTREME AND FOR ONCE PROBABLY FORGET THT THOUGH H9 IS SITTING ON THE EDGE BETWEEN COMPACTS AND DSLRS...IT ACTUALLY DOES BELONG TO THE FORMER CATEGORY AND COMES AT LESS THAN HALF OF WAT ONE WUD SHELL ON DSLRS WITH SIMILAR ZOOMING CAPABILITY. COULD THIS BE THE REASON FOR SUCH A VIEW BYU THESE SITES.

SNAPS BY NICHOLAS ARE COOL AND MAKES ME THINK THT I HV MADE A GOOD CHOICE..THANKS NICHOLAS.
CAN ANYONE PLZ ADD THEIR INPUTS ON THIS TOPIC

AAKASH

exchangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:09 AM   #2

The main reason for the criticism is simple.

The H9 is the latest in the H series line, it is the flagship model.

But while it is the latest and has all the cool new features, faster focusing speed, longer and wider lens etc, it quite simple takes worse pictures than the H1 or H2/H5.

The fact that noise reduction/smearing can kick in at odd moments, its lost manual peaking mode over the H2/H5, its lost the compression settings etc, all add to the frustration.

However if you don't own the H5 or older H series cameras, then for most people the H9 is fun and you will not know what you are missing and thus it will be a perfectly fine camera for many.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:44 AM   #3

I own and enjoy my H5 and was looking forward to the H9 based on its capabilities. After reading the reviews there is no question that my next camera will be a DSLR.

exchangie, your statement regarding the cost based only on zoom capability is not valid. A low priced DSLR is not much more than an H9. Zoom ratio is also important to me, but tocompromise image quality (purple fringing, noise, and other negatives) for the H9 (or H5 for that matter) is short sighted.

Good luck with the H9 - I look forward to an honest evaluation from you.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:27 AM   #4

exchangie wrote:
Quote:
I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH REVIEWS ON H9 ON VARIOUS SITES.MOST OF THESE WERE POFESSIONAL REVIEWS. THEN I CAME ACROSS VERSIONS OF NICHOLAS.

WHAT BAFFLES ME IS THE DEGREE OF DIFFERENT OPINIONS IN THE VERSION PUT BY OTHERS AND NICHOLAS.

WHAT ADDS TO MY ANXIETY IS THAT MY H9 IS ALREADY ON THE WAY AND I SHALL GET IT IN ABT 2 WEEKS NOW. AND SUCH A PREJUDICIAL VIEW ABT IT BY MANY IS BOTHERING ME.

WHAT I FEEL IS THT SITES LIKE DPREVIEW TAKE CRITICISM TO THE EXTREME AND FOR ONCE PROBABLY FORGET THT THOUGH H9 IS SITTING ON THE EDGE BETWEEN COMPACTS AND DSLRS...IT ACTUALLY DOES BELONG TO THE FORMER CATEGORY AND COMES AT LESS THAN HALF OF WAT ONE WUD SHELL ON DSLRS WITH SIMILAR ZOOMING CAPABILITY. COULD THIS BE THE REASON FOR SUCH A VIEW BYU THESE SITES.

SNAPS BY NICHOLAS ARE COOL AND MAKES ME THINK THT I HV MADE A GOOD CHOICE..THANKS NICHOLAS.
CAN ANYONE PLZ ADD THEIR INPUTS ON THIS TOPIC

AAKASH

Hello AAKASH,

Glad you decided on the H9, you will be very happy.

Sites like DPReview and DCResource have narrow views about measuring a camera's usefullness.

Reading their reviews and then my Real Life H9 User's Review, one would wonder how I could capture some of the images I posted in my review.

My images contradict what they claim to be 'Cons' about the H9.

Be wary of any site stating " Horribly this camera tries for more pixels rather thanimage quality".

What their statement reveals is that they have no concept of the importance of Capturing a Moment.Measured by this ability the H9 tops every other digicam, bridge camera, and many DSLR's. The H9's AF, Exposure, Shutter Lag, Flash, etc., are at the excellent level IMHO.

8 MP helps you crop images and still get a useable memory. These sites never state cropping ability as one of the 'Pros' for a camera.

My real Life User's review in this great Sony forum here at Steve's-Digicams provides you with images and shooting conditions so you can see H9 images and make your owndetermination.

Once you get your H9 you can easily replicate one of my H9 Review shoots and determine if it meets your needs.

The test is in the prints, upto 8x10, to my preference level,the H9 delivers almost 100% of Sony's H9 press release about the H9.

And what you get for your money with the H9 is not obtainable anywhere else at the moment, when you measure a camera by its ability to Capture a Moment.

Here is what I mean by a Captured Moment for me: H9, Self-Timer, Remote, Tripod, Very Patient Wife while getting the right shooting angle. Direct from camera, NO PP, only downsize to 550 pixels wide for posting here, shot Sunday July 1, 2007:

Good shooting with your H9.

Nicholas

Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 8:48 AM   #5

Nick very nice photo of your wife and yourself.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:20 AM   #6

Thanks CyberF828,

I should have cropped out my belly but I wanted to show the image directly from the camera. ( On my print version I did crop it, Ha! )

It is alot, and I mean ALOT, of FUN.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:33 PM   #7

[align=left]Hi[/align]

[align=left]Iam a recent owner of the H9 and i must say iam very happy with it.Yes i to was wary after reading the reports but i do feel some of them are over the top. I try and judgefrom the photos i haveseen andmake my decision that wayThere are a number of websites that show photos that were taken with the h9 you can see some of mine that ihave taken bearing in mind iam more a point and shoot guy but over all iam very happy.[/align]

[align=left]http://http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_h9[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]http://picasaweb.google.com/foxcub6[/align]

[align=left] i Hope you like the few shots i have taken and i am sure you will enjoy your h9[/align]
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:20 AM   #8

Hi Foxcub6,

May I suggest a new thread for your links.

Some may miss them buried in this thread.

I'll click on them in your new thread.

Nicholas
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:14 AM   #9

Dear all...Thanx a lot for ur valuable inputs. sorry could not reply earlier as my Pc got busted and I m using a cyber cafe to acess right now.

Aakash
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:22 AM   #10

dear Nicholas...thanks a lot for reaffirming my faith in the H9. I shall definitely try to take pictures ike u once i can lay my hands on my baby.

But inspite all said and done... wat can u say abt the high ISO shots specially at 800,1600 and 3200 settings shown to be taken by H9 on some sites. they are infact pretty pathetic. do u have any such pictures taken on high ISO s , so tht the idea may be more clear.

and sanitares.. i think a good camera shud be good . or are u saying tht h5 picture are better??? say wat nicholas

regards

aakash