Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 9, 2003, 6:12 PM   #1

Default F717 Strange magnification jumping in macro mode

Hi,

When in manual mode, with macro mode selected as well, the field of view will jump back and forth between the focal length I've set and a wide-field view. It often happens when I make minute changes in focus, or move slightly into or away from the subject (effectively the same thing, I suppose). As I frequently need to take very close up images in macro mode, this is obviously a problem. Anyone encounter this, and/or have any ideas about what is going on and how to counter it?

Thanks!
Jeff
carbaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:39 PM   #2

I believe this is a deliberate feature that is not described (that I could see) in the manual. I believe that when you are making adjustment in zoom, focus etc it will temporarily give youa bigger (more magnified) picture to make it easier to see what you are doing. Once you have stopped making the adjustment it returns to normal after a second or two. I haven't explored it much I just got my 717 about 2 weeks ago. Close to 1000 pics already!
drdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 2:17 PM   #3

Thanks, that seem to makes sense, though it might have been nice of them to let us know that that happens. Have you been able to take good macro shots with (or perhaps despite) this feature?

Jeff
carbaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:55 AM   #4

Default Expanded Focus

If you look on page 48 and 111 of your Sony DSCF717 user manual, it will explain what you are referring to. This feature is called EXPANDED FOCUS.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:53 PM   #5

Default Re: Expanded Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowRunner
If you look on page 48 and 111 of your Sony DSCF717 user manual, it will explain what you are referring to. This feature is called EXPANDED FOCUS.
Not only that, but you can turn it off!
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote