Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:37 AM   #1

I have been bored all week at work. :lol:
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2

So have I ... and antsy ... I can't leave to attend the EAA convention in Oshkosh (http://airventure.org/) until next Thursday. It starts this coming Monday. But there should still be some great photo opps next Friday, Saturday and the last day, Sunday. The airport area becomes a city of close to three-quarter of a million souls (double that for tired soles) for a week, manny of them camping, and all of them eating, breathing, drinking, and sleeping with aircraft and aerospace-related technologies.

So, until then, I will be bored also! BTW, I noticed your monikker: my everyday, always with me shooter is the F828 ... in many ways, especially in convenience and ease of keeping it with me, it equals the Canons I also shoot.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:53 AM   #3

What kind os Canon do you have?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:21 PM   #4

30D currently. Great dSLR and I have a bunch of lenses (L glass and Sigma), but to equal the F828 and the Zeiss lens you really have to have the Canon equipped with the EF 70-200 f2.8. Obviously, the dSLR package and lens assortment provides a tremendous variablity of possibilities and ISOswhile the F828 is limited. But the similarity inquality of the photos within that 70-200 or thereabouts range and the physical size makes the F828 the ideal carry-around camera. Both are excellent for what they were designed to do and I would not get rid of either, but may enhance my collection with a Canon 5D or its replacement soon.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:42 PM   #5

I have been looking at the Canon 30D as a new toy to play with I have been using my H5 over my F828 I think it takes better photos least to me it does + I can use other lenses with my H5.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:34 PM   #6

Perhaps I have been lucky, but with 50+ years photography (both professional and hobbiest) experience I was amazed at the quality of the F828 and its shots are usually mistaken for dSLR shots such as those taken with my 30D (which I've had fora bit over2 years). Granted, I use the 30D quite a bit, especially formacros, long telephotos, and some astrophotography with my 30 year old Celestron.

But I keep the F828 in the car and handy all the time, and if weight or even size becomes a problem it is what I grab. It fits my "daily impromptu" needs, whereas the Canon's use and the lenses I take is pre planned. I personally feel the need for higher MPs though, and a so-called "full-frame" camera will help... hence the 5D or similar, which should pay for itself in short order as my other cameras have/do.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:31 PM   #7

hgernhardtjr,

So how was the air show?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:55 PM   #8

AirVenture was fabulous, as usual! This time, though, photographically I concentrated on shooting static aircraft and equipment with my 10-17mm Tokina fish. And, of course, also shot some of the performances. Several years ago they had two "Cats" ... a Hellcat and a Tomcat ... fly formation and I was awed at the difference a third of a century of design thought made. This year they had Glacier Girl (a WWII Lightening) flying formation along with a Korean War era jet and a brand new Raptor. Amazing what a few years anda bit over half a lifetimemakes in technology! Came back with some very nice photos and a couple of vintage WWII-looking group portraits (paratroopers with flight crew and C-47, etc.) I could blow up to wall size and see the detail!

The wife used the F828 extensively, and she got quite a few good shots too.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:18 PM   #9

Don't forget to post them in our photo thread here I would like to see them, Did you get any pics of the A-10?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:05 PM   #10

Not of the A-10. Here are a few shots, 2 from last year with the Sony F828, one this year, and 2 with the Canon all saved for web view.

F828last year

Attached Images