Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:52 PM   #11

I have the Sony H9, in addition to the H1 and H5, and it is the H9 I grab when I go out the door. Waiting for the flash to recycle on my H5 is like waiting for paint to dry. The H9 also has has a better LCD, faster focus. It has twice the flash range of my H1.

I fail to see Sony has anything to apologize for. The Pany FZ50 has a *far* worse watercolor problem. The Pany people don't go about in sack cloth andashes lamenting how horrible it is. They work within it's *many* good points. Cripes... youcomplainers just amaze me. First you whine about too much noise in a bridge camera. Then when Sony and Pany listen to you and go after the noise, you whine about the noise reduction and want the noise back!!! **For the Love of Pete.....It's a bridge camera!!*** If you want less noise, get a DSLR. Pay over $3000 for DSLRand extra telephoto lenses and you will have to have to do everythingthat the little $400 bridge camera can do.Then ifyou want to blow that picture up to a wall poster and analyze every freakin' blade of grass, shoot RAW, post process till your hearts delight, and be happy with that DSLR. Because to do what you want, that is what you need!!

I feel the H9 does an excellent job for a bridge camera. It's the best one all things considered that I have and I have many of them. (Canon S1, Pany FZ20, Pany FZ30, Pany FZ50, Sony H1, Sony H2, and H9. I also have a F717, P10, V1, W1, and T1)) I want a smallish camera to carry around, not a brick,no dust onthe sensor, and IS in the camera body. I figure I actually got a steal in my little $400 camera. :-)

The majority of the H9 people actually like their H9s and we are getting kinda sick of the minority bashers who have never even had a H9, or who want a $400 camera to magically equal a $3000 DSLR in every way.

Mercury

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 5:56 PM   #12

well said that man.Ihave taken almost 2000 photos with mine and yes iam very happy,ok some are not so good but show me a camera that does 100% good photos every time and ill buy it. I said many months ago if you are really into pixell pickng then buy a dslr dont come on hear with your wild theorize cos dp review said so ,Ok aint perfect but i but numerous camera mags and read all the reviews,and i doupt i could buy a camera that didnt have some fault or other. YES there are more than one bad review i here you say! So what i say... i and many other owners are very happy . i have posted many a photo on hear and so far i have had little comment on them, in saying that any comment i have had has always been very positive look up foxcub6 posts and lets hear you comments ! good or bad please .
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:11 PM   #13

Ditto Mercury's statement, H900,000,000 times.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:04 PM   #14

Perhaps, I have given an incorrect impression-

The reason I posted this thread was not at all because I am in any way "down" on the Sony H-9. Quite the contrary is true. I really like Sony cameras a lot and own four of them currently.

The reason that I began this thread is to express a sincere hope that Sony is able to get well beyond all the controversay that the H-9 seems to have created. If one were to read the Sony forum over at dpreview, you can easily detect the divided camp mentality over there. The effect has been somewhat negative on that forum and that is really unfortunate.

I followed Nick thread on the H-9 as I have seriously considered getting an H-9. Surely, there aresome really great photos that I have seen from the H-9 over on the Sony Forum over at dp review and at pbase as well.

To me, cameras are to record memories, to document events, and to have a lot of fun when taking those photos. The division that has taken place because of the H-9 is amazing to me. All cameras have their own glitches, that is to be expected. And because of those so called, glitches, we photographers create "work arounds." I am sure the same is true with the H-9, I just wish people were not so aggressive or perhaps passioniate about it.

Ijust would like to see this problem reduce in volume and tone somewhat. Frankly, I am very tempted tojoin the H-9 user group, but I don't want to join a pitched battle either. So I am sitting on the sideline and seriously wondering if I should go H-9 or not.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:18 AM   #15

MtClimber,

<<To me, cameras are to record memories, to document events, and to have a lot of fun when taking those photos. The division that has taken place because of the H-9 is amazing to me. >>

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why some H9 owners like me are kinda overly sensitive these days. You see, we agree your statement that recording memories or capturing the moment and having fun with a camera is important. But it seems that on many occasions when an H9 user posts photos, they are constantly reminded by those who just want to badger us into hating throwing our cameras away. I really like my H9. Do I realize it has faults? Yes. Do I like to *constantly* be reminded. No. To be honest, I have never seen a level of hatred that some H9 bashers exhibit. It's as if they go ballistic when we keep saying we like the camera. If you want an example of a Forum where the H9 bashers take it to an extreme and engage in character assassination, go to

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24439964

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24439964

It's unfreakin' believable. They have literally run off the guy who wrote the white paper on the H1 and H5 because he refuses to trashthe H9. (Also it's unfreakin' believable how poor the moderation is there. I know I plan to stop visiting. Especailly after the mods have allowed it to degrade into personal insults and character assasination.)

This dpreview forum illustrates why others have made us folks who like our H9s feel like we are in some kind of war. And I agree with you. I have never seen anything like this before. Not to this extent and not this venemous or long lasting.

Amazon.com just bought dpreview. I wonder if they know they have bought a poisonous snake pit. Sigh.

Regards - Mercury

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:11 PM   #16

Mercury-

As a digital Camera instructor, I follow a number of dpreview's forums rather closely. I have seen the terrible bashing that has taken place in the Sony Forum. AAK did folks a real favor with his "white paper." There is just no reason for all the bad talk that was posted there on the H-9 and AAK.

Perhaps it is time for a separate H-9 Forum, just as the Canon S-3 folks have done. I had a winning bid on a H-7 on e-bay last night until the very last minute and then lost it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:26 PM   #17

<<Perhaps it is time for a separate H-9 Forum, just as the Canon S-3 folks have done. I had a winning bid on a H-7 on e-bay last night until the very last minute and then lost it.>>

Sarah,

They sure need to do something. It was after I was reading the other forum that I came here and read your post. Sorry for the freak out. I was still in the "feeling abused" mode after reading all the bashing they were giving AAK (and the H9). Honestly..they seem to want to make it a crime to like an H9. :-( I know I am a hair away from never going to that forum again. (Do they not have moderators over there?????)

If you see another forum that AAK starts to post on, let me know. I'll drop dpreview like a rotted potato.

Bummer on losing the H7 bid. If at first you don't succeed..try again. :-)
-- Chrystie

Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:59 PM   #18

Chrystie-

I have been following it closely for several weeks and they don't seem to be letting up on the AAK & H-9 rant. I thought it would die down and taper off.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:28 PM   #19

Yep. I have been following it well before and since the firt H9s came out. It just seems incredible that a small group of very negative posters with an agenda are bashing and running the good folks away and the Mods do nothing.

But this past weekend things seemed to take a particularly bitter, nasty and vindictive turn.

I need to download that white paper again for AAK removes it from his website.

Regards - Chrystie
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:56 PM   #20

Well, Chrystie-

Now I need your help! I took your admonition to heart and went back again for a look at e-bay. I snagged a H-9 for $360. Gosh, I hope that it is in good condition. I know that it is missing a battery. Well anyway I got it!

So the next question is what is AAK's website address, it was mentioned on the Sony Forum over there this morning?

How about starting a H-9 thread right here on this forum. I will be home until 09/24 before we have to go off for a two month contract, so I could surely get it started pretty well before I leave. And perhaps we can snag some folks who are happy with the H-9 over on the dpreview Sony Forum.

Nick, I hope that you are listening! I know you are getting started with the Canon 5D, but do drop by when you have a chance.

Anyway, that was the special news that I wanted to share with you.

Sarah Joyce