Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:40 AM   #31

Thisisquite a thread...after reading each and every post, I can't help myself so here are my 2c on the subject (well, the initial subject was about Sony being in trouble for its 2007 releases, which then turned into a H9 is/isn't a good camera). Anyway, I think it's difficult for any company to be successful 100% of the time, whether it is Sony, Honda, IBM, Boing,.... They all have their hot products and their not so popular ones. I'm not sure the reason for such a phenomenon. Perhaps the hot products raise the bar too much and consumers build up high expectations for the next generation and if not as good, BASH! Or, perhaps companies invest a lot of money ona product but during the life cycle of that product they don't get the return they expected so they save money of the follow-up but cutting corners. Whatever the reason is, it is unreasonable to expect a product to just get better and better all the time. There will be ups and downs no matter what. It's impossible to please everyone because any product that would actually do that, would cost so much that only a few would be able to afford it (well, I guess that alone is something that would not please everyone, right!?!). OK, with all that said, IMOSony will do just fine. They may loose some market shares on the long zoom arena but they can certainly recover from it.

Now, as far as the H9 goes, I don't owe one so I can't say much about its features, functionality and most important, IQ. One thing I know and that is that we should not compare the H9 with the S5. Why? Just because they were both released in the same year it does not make them comparable to each other. To me, the S5 is the S3 with some minor changes. What is THE biggest change between the H5 and the H9? Is it the fact that it has higher ISO? or that it handles noise better? or that it focus faster? I'd say none of the above. The main difference is the optics, going from a 12x to a 15x zoom lens. Canon did not change the optics of the S5 (for whatever reason) so the S5 IMO can not be compared to the H9. You may then say, in this case, the H9 can not be compared to the Oly 550 nor the Pana FZ18 since they both have a 18x zoom instead of 15x. Theoretically that can be true. However, the point here is innovation. Both the Oly 550 and the Pana FZ18 have new optics, thus they are on the same boat as the H9. We have seen the problems with the Oly and the H9 due to either too much compression, poor focus at long range of the zoom, etc, etc, etc. The question is, how is the FZ18 going to perform in comparison. On paper all these cameras have impressive specs but in reality things are a bit different.

I have many cameras from different brands and have sold a few as well. The ones I've sold were the ones I found too many glitches. The ones I kept are the ones that I found glitches I can live with. Some one suggested a DSLR for this or that. I had a Nikon D40 and was not impressedby it. So much so that I sold it two months later. Then I bought the Pentax K100. I liked it better but after three months, I got sensor dust and now it's in the shop due to metering problems. My P&S? They keep going and going. I think the most important thing is to enjoy your camera. If you are happy with the results you get out of it, that's all that matters. I see people taking pictures of birds with a cell phone (yes, with the 1 Mp resolution built-in camera) and I think...wait until you get home and download that picture to your computer. But you know what, that may not be the case at all. Each of us have a different conception of what a great image is. How many timesI've seen people posting photos which are then manipulated by other people because they think they can improve whatever (I'm guilty of doing that as well). So, rather than go into endless debates about the H9 being a good camera or not, let's just appreciate the work the we all do and provide constructive comments and suggestions. That's much more productive, I think.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:29 AM   #32

Or, you can read posts by happy H9 owners for their observations.

You can also read my H9 Real Life User's Review posted right in this Sony forum.

In my review I let the H9 images speak for themselves.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:53 PM   #33

I sincerely believe that Tullio and Nick have spoken in their posts about an important point that we photographers sometimes look track of, or ignore its importance. The fun of any camera is in taking the photos, and in enjoying the images.

IMHO the "hair-splitters and the bashers" unfortunately went to work on the Sony H-9 camera, without even seriously looking at the photos produced by that camera. As Nick has noted, there are many, many H-9 users out there who really like their H-9's and have some fine photos to show for their effeorts.

Tullio said it very well. We cannot realistically expect the camera manufacturers to consistently produce the same level of improvement from one model to another model in the same family of cameras. IMHO the H-9 suffered a setback in terms of public relations rather than camera capability.

In reflection, I sincerely do not believe that Sony will suffer financially from the lukewarm reception to the H-9, as they have many more products that are selling well. Just as when Canon brought out the very first S-1IS model, it only represented a beginning. The same is true for the Olympus SP-550, the Fuji S-8000, and the Panasonic FZ-18. Each of them will be a beginning, from which each manufacturer will refine and develop even further, as they will all be near the 18X optical zoom range.

We ought to be thankful that we, as photographers, can sit back and enjoy the development of these wholly new, and better cameras. Rome was not built in a single day, and camera development will not always be uniformly great or evolutionary. As Tulio has pointed out, it is all a matter of what glitches you can live with in your camera on a daily basis.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:20 PM   #34

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Sony has a REAL PROBLEM on their hands, and it is high time that the 'fessed up and admited their problem.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah so do you still think Sony has a problem with the H9?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:19 PM   #35

cyber-

What Sony really has is a PR problem. It was generated in large part by the folks over on the Sony Talk Forum. No, I now believe that the H-9 is not perfect, but none the less, a very good camera.

It was good enough to me, that I purchased a Sony H-9 camera. Need I say more?

Sarah Joyce

Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:02 PM   #36

Sarah, do you find the H9 to be better than the H5? If so, in which areas (exceptfor the zoom range, of course)?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:45 PM   #37

Tullio-

I like the H-2 and the H-5 a lot. Until I receive my H-9 which I am guess will be tomorrow or Wednesday (08/29), I really can't tell you much. Sorry!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:49 AM   #38

If you don't have the H9 yet, then how come you posted the butterfly picture? That's your picture, isn't it? Was it taken with an H9 camera?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:45 AM   #39

My guess from the above post she will be receiving the H9 Wed 8-29.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:52 AM   #40

<<What Sony really has is a PR problem. It was generated in large part by the folks over on the Sony Talk Forum. No, I now believe that the H-9 is not perfect, but none the less, a very good camera.
>>

Exactly!! And to this day I think "trash talking" the H9 on STF was orchestrated by a handful of trolls, some ofwhom may have had a hidden agenda (perhaps for another camera manufacturer.) I'm not saying theH9 doesn't have issues, but they were blown *way, way, way* out of proportion on STF. When AAK, the author of the white paper on the H1 and H5 tried again and again to put any issues into perspective and to delineate the many positive points of the H9, he was hounded/bashed, and insulted by a dozen persistent trolls..most of whom had never had an H9 or ever posted one picture to STF. Then when he refused to back down about what heexplained were the many positive points of the H9, the dozen ot so trolls started to insult the photos he posted and his professionalism/character. He finally said enough was enough and left, and they lost one of the most helpful H series expert on that forum. To this day they still run amok at STF and bashing the H9 still seem to be their battle cry. (No moderator uttered a peep during this fiasco.)

It's a sad forum over there. There is absolutely *NO* moderation and it's become a free for all of unabated character assasination.

The other thing that burns me up is that most of the troll posters there that are so negative about non-DSLR Sony cameras are DSLR users who seem to enjoy telling people who don't want a DSLR how inferior any bridge of pocket camera is. There DSLR forums, so it's not helpful that those of us who don't want a DSLR for various reasons are basically told oevr and over how dumb we are. These people are a negative influence in a non DSLR forum and they do it just to be trolls.

This forum is the opposite. Sure we all disucss among ourselves the posisitve and negative points of Sony cameras, but we do it politely and trolls are not tolerated.

Just my 2 cents why I like it here. :-)

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote