Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:50 PM   #11

> When the camera 'chip' or sensor has the ability to
> out 'resolve' the lens, like a 1DS ...

My first impression on seeing the "8Mp" claim was:
Can the lens even resolve that?

I haven't followed developments at the pixel level, but
my bias is to want a sensor with twice the res that the
lens can resolve.

Looking at the output of my current 2Mp digicam, I see
false color galore at the edges of high-contrast objects.
Although it's nominally a 1600x1200 cam, I consider it
to be effectively 800x600 if I need artifact-free images.

If the sensor has twice the res of the lens, a hi-contrast
edge can't "split" a sensor triad or sensor quad, and the
edge is much less likely to false.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:53 PM   #12

I have read statements that claim that the Canon 1DS 11 megapixel outresolves any of the existing glass lens that can be fitted to it.

I doubt t that the SONY can claim this?? I do wonder how close it is though???

Somethings tells me at this price point there is still a way to go here!

Alex
adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 5:19 AM   #13

@steve cant u get some sample pictures ? im so curious about the quality of colors and sharpness. i hope she can take the fuji s2pro out of the race. how many pictures can u take in a row with the standard battery pack ?

thx in pre, and go on with this great website, i always looked here first for buy decisions, but maybe u can add some international shipping shops at the end of your "conclusion area".
tomyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:56 PM   #14

Damn, now I'm no longer happy with my F717. :?

I don't really need the 8MP resolution (I'm already using tons of hard drive space and CD-R media with my 5MP images), but I'd really like to have the 28mm equivalent wide angle and the compact flash media felxibility.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:40 AM   #15

Default Sony four color CCD outperform other three color versions?

:roll:

The increase in megapixel may not be as significant as the increase in dynamic range.

Does anyone notice that Sony uses a four color CCD
likely an increase in dynamic range, in theory can be better than other three color CCD or three color CMOS.

KL
Ken_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 2:03 PM   #16

I think you should tell the Sony folks that if they bother to put USB2.0 in the camera, they also ought to enable realtime streaming of photos over it, ie. bypassing the internal storage alltogether (very handy for studio use). Perhaps it's possible though I've yet to see it mentioned in any preview.
And also, being a european, how 'bout if that nifty 30fps MPEG turned into 25fps(PAL) when I switch the settings for video output?
The CF-slot is a very nice touch though.
I think I'll buy one.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:03 PM   #17

Default Wish list

I too want to see this camera with image stabilization.

What impresses me most is the way its 4-color system renders colors compared with the 3-color system - see the two samples in Steve's review.

Now a question - The Foveon system that Sigma uses is based on 3 colors: is it possible to manufacture a Foveon type system that also uses 4 colors? Or do the laws of physics make it impossible?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:51 PM   #18

Default OOPS!

I referred to a pair of sample pictures as being in Steve's review. When I tried to find them again I couldn't. No wonder. THIS is where they are -
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03...onyrgbeccd.asp
Old Aug 24, 2003, 1:03 PM   #19

I was wrong again - the previous URL gave only small versions. I HAVE found them via Steve's site. Try this URL -
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...lorCCD_pr.html
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn
I think you should tell the Sony folks that if they bother to put USB2.0 in the camera, they also ought to enable realtime streaming of photos over it, ie. bypassing the internal storage alltogether (very handy for studio use). Perhaps it's possible though I've yet to see it mentioned in any preview.
I have to agree with you here. For travelling I want the smallest camera possible - so last year I bought a Sony P9. However, for my professional use I want the best *camera* possible. Right now I'm using a Fuji 6900Z for in-studio product shots. It's doing OK, but I'd really like something with better low-light performance and higher resolution. I skipped the last generation of cameras but am looking hard at the Fuji S7000 and Sony 828.

The biggest annoyance for me is having to constantly disconnect and reconnect the camera to a computer just to see what the last shot I took really looks like. Plug the camera into USB and it no longer allows use of the camera functions. Even if we can't get full image streaming, can't we at least have a constant connection to the on-board media for image retrieval and deletion?

Other things that make me want to change cameras: although the Fuji is always plugged into a power supply, the LCD insists on swithing off after 20 odd seconds of inactivity, and the whole camera turns off after 5 minutes (odd that it never shuts off when plugged into USB). Even my old Epson 850Z was smart enough to stay on perminantly when plugged into AC. Worse, the Fuji tends to forget a number of my settings when switching between USB/camera mode or when it powers off - like the macro setting - so I always have to double-check certain things. Also, trying to use the built-in flash locks so many settings (like shutter time) that it's basically useless.

My kindom for a perfect camera! :-)
Daniel Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote