Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:48 PM   #1

I was on ebay looking for a 74mm uv lens and found all kinds of filters and adapter tubes that allow you to use 72mm (standard size) filters. Has anyone used them and do they work?

rlar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:20 AM   #2

foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3

In the photo attached, you will see the Sony supplied plastic adapter tube and the petal shaped lens hood that are supplied with the Sony H-9 camera. That lens adapter uses 74mm filters.

There are other commercially supplied adapter tubes that are of metal construction and they use the much more common 72mm thread rather than the rather odd 74mm thread.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4

foxcub-

As I understand it, the galelio II adapter tube has been redesigned, so that it moves out and in smoothly with the H-9 camera lens. I could be confused, but as I read it, Pemaraal will upgrade you to the automatic design for free. Al you have to do is to pay the postage to get it to them in Milford, CT.

You might want to check on that.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:17 PM   #5

thanks mtclimber, i have sent a email to them i think there is a bit missing from mine. In the instruction sheet the gave out it talks about a rubber spline that attaches to the lens. i aint got one...well i cant see it anyhow i will let you know how i get on Gary
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:03 AM   #6

Very quick reply from the adapter people i stand corrected i do have the rubber splines on t he adapter. However i still have the problem with the unit pemaraal are investigating i will keep you advised
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:54 PM   #7

Thanks, Gary-

I really would like to see this issue resolved for you!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:14 PM   #8

I have the Galileo II and I've found that to keep the outer tube from moving back and forth, you need to zoom all the way out. Once you've done that, the outer tube splines should engage the lens barrel and the outer tube will extend and retract with the lens.
Nomad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply yes i have tried that the company are going to send me more splines as mine do not take grip of the lens,it does for maybe two zooms then disconnects i will let you know the outcome
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:13 AM   #10

Well thats my adapter up and running pemaraal were great to deal with(especially since iam on the other side of the pond) they sent me some more rubber splines. To be honest i think the problem may have been a combination of well me! i did screw the adapter up tight into the camera but on closer examination i found the lens not quite reaching and grabbing the rubber splines. I was concerned if i was going to over tighten the adapter and went for it ,there must have been a pieces of debris in the thread as the adapter now screws in further than previously. i do feel a bit of a wally but hey at least i recognise it he he Pete Liontas at pemaraal has been in contact several times to help me out and i can not thank himself and his company enough for there customer service so all is well on the adapter side