Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:23 AM   #11

I absolutely agree with John. The Sony forum is very specific to camera mattersas opposed to subject matter. If you (Nick) had posted the same exact butterfly shot in a forum calledShow usyour H9 photos" and had suggested the red eye thing, you'dprobablyhadreceived lots of feedback (more soindicating what a great camera the H9 is and blah blah blah than whether or not the red eye was a result of using flash. But, nonetheless, you'd receive a lot of feedback).Your passion for the H9 is obvious and I do think the Sony forum is the best place for you to brag about it. However, as John suggested, you are expecting to receive comments on thetechnicalities of thesubject and that may had been better receivedat the wild life forum.This thread itself isa good example of what John stated. You got no responses until you questioned why people were not giving feedback. Then, all of a sudden, you've got feedback (not necessarily on the red eye issue, though). Interesting how it goes!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:31 AM   #12

I brag about nothing. I let my images speak for themselves.

I also don't characterize people either.

I have no ax to grind and I don't write about my ego.

I post here because I shoot my H9 and I very much like the Sony Crowd on this Forum, I consider myself a 'member'.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:42 AM   #13

hunh???

Nicholas - what are you talking about? what does any of your post have to do with what we're talking about? I am honestly confused here.

I, and I believe Tulio as well suggested getting feedback on a butterfly photo might get a better response in another forum that gets more traffic from wildlife / macro shooters. This in response to the discussion about why there are no comments.

What does that have to do with egos or grinding axes?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:19 PM   #14

Hi Nick,

I did not mean to offend or characterize you in any way. Perhaps I chose a bad word to express myself. In any case, the point that both John and I are trying to make is that just because a topic has a lot of traffic, it does not mean a lot of feedback will be left. I, for example, was curious to see what H9 photo you had posted this time but was not necessarily interested in commenting about the butterfly's red eye. However, I ended up spending much more time on this discussion.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:22 PM   #15

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
If you (Nick) had posted the same exact butterfly shot in a forum calledShow usyour H9 photos" and had suggested the red eye thing, you'dprobablyhadreceived lots of feedback (more soindicating what a great camera the H9 is and blah blah blah than whether or not the red eye was a result of using flash. But, nonetheless, you'd receive a lot of feedback).Your passion for the H9 is obvious and I do think the Sony forum is the best place for you to brag about it.
Quote:
The aboveis what I was referring to.
Quote:
Please read the threads before responding. Threads make more sense that way.
Quote:
Regards,
Quote:
Nicholas
Quote:
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:39 PM   #16

God dont some folk go over board. .What is a forum? I thought it was a place to show, to comment on each others photos etc. Correct me if iam wrong. The point Nick and i have made is there would be no forum if everybody does not participate ie comment on other members work or participate in sending there own work in. Ever since i have been a member of this forum the sony owners have posted all there work here iam all for that i dont see your problem John g in sending all our photos here , you either like it or you dont no matter what folder it was in :?
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:33 PM   #17

Thanks Foxcub6. I ( and I think everyone ) needed that.

Without opinions expressed the world, and this Sony forum, would be a horrible place to reside.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:43 PM   #18

I think both John and I agree with you, Foxcub6. What we are saying is that one can't expect to receive feedback on every single posting. If the subject does not interest people, there will be no comments. If you really expect to receive feedback, then you'll have to pick the appropriate forum to post your image. As I said, if Nick was showing the H9 macro capabilities, I'm sure the response would have been much warmer. No one suggested that Nick should not have posted his picture here. After all, this is a Sony forum and he did take the picture with his H9. However, he was the one who complained about the lack of response.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:02 AM   #19

foxcub6 wrote:
Quote:
iam all for that i dont see your problem John g in sending all our photos here , you either like it or you dont no matter what folder it was in :?

I have no problem whatsoever with people posting photos here.

But a photo was posted and no comments were given. Is that not true?

The op asked why so many views and no comments? Is that not true?

I merely offered an opinion as to why no one left comments - that amounts to this: maybe the people that viewed the photo were somewhat curious but not really into butterflies specifically.

I further suggested that if you want a comment on a picture of a butterfly you are much more likely to get one where people who enjoy shooting butterflies gather.

THere is no sin in posting the photos in BOTH forums.

When I take a sports photo I post it in the sports forum because I know the people that visit that forum are particularly interested in sports pictures so I increase mylikelihood of getting comments - especially constructive feedback from other people who shoot sports. I'll go on to say that practice has been successful for me in getting comments. I posted a photo in the landscape forum and guess what? I got several comments from people who enjoy landscapes. I do not believe ANY of the people who left comments own the same brand camera I do. Had I just posted in the brand forum I would have missed their feedback.

I don't mean to offend. But also remember - people often go to gear forums to discuss the GEAR and picture forums to discuss PICTURES. In fact that's exactly how this site is set up. Doesn't mean you cant get comments on a photo in a gear section but I merely suggest you're more likely to get comments on a photo in a PHOTO forum - landscape, wildlife, sports whatever. And if it's a forum dedicated to the subject of your photo your chances increase.

So if you're not getting much comments in the SOny forum why not post a shot in the appropriate PHOTO forum and give that a try? I'm not saying you have to at all. Merely offering a suggestion for something to TRY - who knows, it might work.:|

Quote:
What is a forum? I thought it was a place to show, to comment on each others photos etc. Correct me if iam wrong
I think this may be the point of confusion between us. In my mind the forums here at Steve are divided. THere are gear forums to discuss gear and photo forums to discuss photos. Maybe, just maybe, other people might share that concept as well. So people who want to discuss butterflies go to the photo forums and not the gear forums. People who have questions/issues about their gear go to the gear forums and not the photo forums. If I post a thread in the landscape forum about a problem I'm having with my camera I probably won't get much of a response. But if I post that thread in the GEAR forum I get a response. Remember, Foxcub, it was you and Nicholas discussing why no one is answering your photo posts in the sony forum. I merely suggest you try a photo forum. Sorry if you thought that suggestion was overboard. I only made it because it has worked for me in the past.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:26 AM   #20

:?:angry::P:blah:

Regards:bye:,

Nicholas