Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:27 PM   #21

Exactly.

You are not alone with your complaint, Nick. Some one in the Panasonic forum complained about the same thing...where's everyone???
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:42 AM   #22

Hi Tullio,

Maybe we need some new forum to generate interest.

How about a 'Show off your Camera by Image' forum.

It would invite all to post pics identifying the camera used and the conditions of the shot and how the photog's camera enabled capturing the shot.

Just an idea.

Regards,

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:03 PM   #23

If you go to the Panasonic forum, read the "Where's everybody at" topic. There are a few postings discussing the possibilities for the slowdown in forum participation. One of the points I made was with regards to the "flickr" effect. As you know, FLICKR is a very open forum, with a total different approach (i.e., you can find manygroups only for the H9 camera while here the H9 shares the Sony forum with all other Sony cameras). This concept is very attractive to photography enthusiasts because theycan not only share their images taken with their particular camerasbut also learn about their gear. It's a very powerful photo sharing database (and it's free).

New forums will certainly help but I'm not sure which approach should be taken. To do anything like flickr isalmost out of question for a private site such as this one because it can become extremely expensive. Sites such as dpreviewcan grow more substantially because they do not host any one's images.You simply provide a link to an online database where your photos are being hosted.Steve needstohave a lot of server space to host thousands and thousands of images (forever!).So, this concept makes it difficult to grow the forums. Can you imagine having several forums just for the H9? Then you multiply that by the number of camera brands and models...simply impossible.

If I understood correctly, the forum you are suggesting is a combination of all non-camera specific forums (i.e. landscape, wildlife, architecture, etc.) into one, I'm not sure that would add a lot of interest. The forum would be a melting pot of various subjects and camera brands/models. I think most people are interested in specific subjects as well as camera brand (and then model within the brand). I check various Steve's forums (i.e. Pentax SLR, Canon, Sony and Pana P&S as well as the Biweekly Shootout, Landscape, Architecture and Wildlife forums). However, when I browse the Sony forum for instance, I look for specific posts, the ones that concern the camera models I'm interested in. So, I never look at posts that indicates camera models I'm not interested in. Now, that's me and I can not speak for anyone else. That's what is so attractive about flickr. You do a search on H9 groups, and you'll find a multitude of them, each covering different aspects of the camera and its capabilities. You can then subscribe to the ones you feel more appropriate based on your interests. This concept, as I mentioned before, can not be implemented here unless Steve changes the way the forums operate today (or if he sells the forum to Google, for example:lol

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:30 PM   #24

H Tullio,

That may very well be the answer.

My friend got me to join Flicker, but I still dont know how it works. Rather complicated to me. Also I like som control over my images when it is required.

Regards,

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:15 PM   #25

foxcub6 wrote:
Quote:
A excellent photo Nick This lack of response or lack of comments is why i have decided to end sending in photos to this web site. I like a few others have tried to keep the web site up and running but it is the same old faces that either participate in sending photos in or leave comments. I could mention about 6 people who regularly comment or send in photos and thanks for that,but I find it disheartening like youself when i see 70-80 members have viewed the photo and you dont get any feedback. I have said before that i am not wanting a pat on the back evertime i sent in a photo but honest comments thanks again Gary
I am a dslr user and was looking at this forum trying to decide whether I want an H9 or FZ18 (or neither) for when I dont feel like lugging the weight and bulk of a dslr with long telephoto, but I happened to notice this comment. I have the same problem with low responses and to fewsame commenters. At this moment, there are 518 viewers online, only 52 os which are members - the rest are unregistered "lurkers" whose hits count, but could not comment if thdey wanted to, so the number of viewers is somewhat misleading. Those 52 members are spread out over about 90 forums. so . . . .

As for the Monarch "red eye", I have taken (and posted here in other forums) a good many Monarch pictures, and never have noticed this. Red eye in human eyes is due to the red pigment (Hemoglobin) in the blood vessels of the retina, but few insects carry that pigment in their blood. Insect eyes are very different from those of humans, so the red must be from some other source, but I have seen it in photos of some other insects which I assume actually do have red eyes.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote