Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:27 PM   #1

Hi All,

Yes, this is my first time seeing Red-Eye in a butterfly.

H9 with the built-in flash:

Regards,

Nicholas
Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:03 AM   #2

Hi All,

58 views with no comment? I thought 'butterfly red-eye' would be a new, first time issue to discuss. I was suprised when I saw the Red-Eye.

Is the eye actualy red?..or is it really red-eye?

How do you like my new watermark?

Thanks,

Nicholas
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:42 PM   #3

A excellent photo Nick This lack of response or lack of comments is why i have decided to end sending in photos to this web site. I like a few others have tried to keep the web site up and running but it is the same old faces that either participate in sending photos in or leave comments. I could mention about 6 people who regularly comment or send in photos and thanks for that,but I find it disheartening like youself when i see 70-80 members have viewed the photo and you dont get any feedback. I have said before that i am not wanting a pat on the back evertime i sent in a photo but honest comments thanks again Gary
foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:49 AM   #4

Hi Foxcub6,

Yes, I agree with your observations.

Maybe some people get lazy once they use a certain technology.

Once I had one guy complain that he had to click on a link in my post so he could view an image on my site. He stated that I should just post the image on the thread so he would not have to click on a link.He didn't even mention my image.

Reading his response, I asked myself if this guy had enough energy to hold a camera and snap the shutter.

I think the real problem is many people are just hestiant to express themselves.

Photography requires one to be self-expressive. I guess Forum threads do not.

Regards,

Nicholas

Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:54 AM   #5

Well for me I have been out of town here and there, Yes I see the site is really slowing down. I try to do new things as well like Nick but I think people lost interest in this site or we just hit a slow time. It is a very nice photo I like the idea of the red eye is it or is it the color of the eye good question.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:47 PM   #6

I've been busy at work moving to a new office building and I have been on travel for work.

This site still beats the heck out of that "other one" that loves to trash most "non DSLR"cameras and people.

Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:35 AM   #7

This site has an extensive number of forums, not onlycoveringmost camera brands (separated into P&S and DSLR categories) butvarious subjects and challenges as well. In my case,there are many forums Ilike to visit on a regular basis. If I'm going to reply to every single new topic, I will have no life. So, I'm selective. If the subject interests me, I engage in the discussion. If not, I browse through certain topics to see what they are about and move on. I also find that the more we post, the less feedback we receive (not sure exactly why...perhaps people loose interest or find one's work a bit repetitive, I don't know). In any case, some forums are definitely more active than others. The Panasonic forum for example,is one of the most actives.The important thing isnot to give up. If you feel like sharing an image you think is unique or you are proud of, do so. I also find that people will respond to outstanding work! Just my 2c.

As for your question/suggestion, some butterflies do have red eyes.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:27 AM   #8

Interesting topic. I hope you don't mind a non - sony person commenting. I think in general people tend to provide more comments when they have an interest in the same subject matter as the photo. If it's not a subject they are interested in I think it's in people's nature to comment only when they are blown away by an outstanding image. For instance if I look at an architecture shot - not being into that type of photography - I probably won't comment unless the image really speaks to me. If it doesn't speak to me I don't have the background to offer constructive feedback.

That's why I like the concept of subject matter forums. If you've got a nice shot of a butterfly - why not share it with people who like to shoot butterflies regardless of the camera they happen to use? Is their viewpoint less valid because they use a different camera? I also find I get better feedback from people experienced in that type of photography. If I take a shot of a bird I post it in the wildlife forum because I want the opinion of people that take photos of birds. Doesn't matter what camera they use. So I think getting feedback on photos is about marketing your shots to the audience most interested in that type of shot. But this also assumes you are interested in honest feedback and not an ego stroke. It's a lot tougher showing my bird shots to people who do that type of shooting. They're a lot more critical. But to me thats a good thing. As long as they take the time to explain how I could do things better next time.

For what it's worth, I was also the person that requested Nicholas include the photos. For the thread in question he posted a link to an entire gallery of photos. I suggested he'd get a better response if he posted one or two specific photos and that by and large people dont have time to peruse whole galleries (and yes Nick I do manage enough energy to pick up my camera and snap the shutter :G). Right or wrong I still believe that. Post a few shots - and post them where the audience interested in the subject of the photo is most likely to see it and you get some good feedback. As long as your subject is a subject that has a good following. If you like architecture but there aren't a lot of people who share that interest it can be tough to have people that feel comfortable sharing their opinion.

For example I think this shot is OK but it doesn't blow me away. But since I don't do this type of photography I can't offer the OP a suggestion on how to improve. So there isn't much of a useful comment I can make about it. Because I know my wildlife shots aren't awe-inspiring I post in the wildlife forum in hopes of getting tips from others who shoot. Still get a lot more views than comments but at least I'll get some. And if the comment comes from someone who shoots a different camera manufacturer their points can still be valid.

Again, hope you don't mind me joining this thread - but I thought it was an interesting discussion

just my opinion, YMMV
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:02 PM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
If you've got a nice shot of a butterfly - why not share it with people who like to shoot butterflies regardless of the camera they happen to use?
Quote:
These type of forums almost never indicate the camera used.I come here for camera info more than butterfly images.
Quote:
Doesn't matter what camera they use.
Quote:
To me it does, my interest here is cameras.
Quote:
For what it's worth, I was also the person that requested Nicholas include the photos.
Quote:
You may have but I was actually referring to some one on PhotograhyBlog, a site I no longer visit. The guy just commented on the link and made no comment on the image.
Quote:
For example I think this shot is OK but it doesn't blow me away.
Quote:
It was not posted to blow you away. It was posted to see if the red eye was the butterfly's or was caused by the flash.
Quote:
Again, hope you don't mind me joining this thread - but I thought it was an interesting discussion

just my opinion, YMMV
Quote:
JohnG, One thing for sure is by now you know I always welcome and invite and thank others for expressing their differing opinions on this great forum.
Quote:
Regards, Nicholas
Quote:
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:12 PM   #10

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't matter what camera they use.
Quote:
To me it does, my interest here is cameras.
Quote:
For example I think this shot is OK but it doesn't blow me away.
Quote:
It was not posted to blow you away. It was posted to see if the red eye was the butterfly's or was caused by the flash.
Quote:

just my opinion, YMMV
Quote:
JohnG, One thing for sure is by now you know I always welcome and invite and thank others for expressing their differing opinions on this great forum.
Quote:
Regards, Nicholas
Quote:
Nicholas - you asked why people aren't commenting. I realize you didn't post to "blow me away" but my point is you posted in a camera specific forum - limiting yourself to only Sony users for the most part. I'm curious why not post in a wildlife forum? If you want people to comment on your images, why don't you want , say, an Olympus user who also shoots wildlife to view and comment on your photo? You asked a question and my response was I think you're not marketing your product to the right customer. That's why you don't get responses. If there are 10 members on these forums that like shooting butterflies and none of them own a sony digicam they may not see your post. But chances are they look where butterfly pictures are likely to appear (wildlife, macro).

If you post and don't get responses the problem may very well be your posting in the wrong spot to attract the traffic you want. I realize you're interested in cameras - but if your question on this picture was "is the red-eye natural or caused by the flash" - why couldn't an oly or panasonic or nikon or canon owner have the answer to that question? In other words who is more likely to know the answer to your question - a sony user that doesn't study/shoot butterflies or a pany user that is familiar with butterflies?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote