Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:45 PM   #1

Default Yellow occuring on indoor shots

Hi
I hope someone can answer these questions before my vacation next week.
I took indoor shots at a wedding shower and just about everything has a yellow tint around it. Hair appears to have a yellow wig,etc.
I may have had the setting on nighttime when indeed it was daylight indoors.
Can someone just answer me.....as to what is a normal, regular setting to just leave it on..(except the nighttime feature)....I am in a panic that I may have reset something that I shouldn't have so I just want it to be back to normal. Usually my photos have been great. I plan to take mostly scenes....like mountains, buildings,etc..
thanks,Gloria
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:52 PM   #2
djb

sounds like your white balance needs to be adjusted for tungsten lighting or whatever lighting was being used. did you use flash or just available light?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:55 PM   #3

I believe the flash went off on each shot.
My flash always seem to go off....
so glad you are on line to help.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:01 PM   #4
djb

Gloria, can you post a picture for some of the experts here. i guess it is true that: "i picture is worth a 1000 words"!!! still sounds like white balance. try experimenting and see before your vacation. remember, digital "film" is cheap!!! i don't know your camera but, maybe someone here does.

dennis
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:25 PM   #5

Yes I can post a photo if I just knew how to do it.
Would there be directions somewhere on this board telling how to insert an image in this space?
Gloria[/list]
Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:22 PM   #6
djb

i think if you click on the[img] button and then insert the url that the picture is at and then click the [/img] that how it's doen. i haven't posted any pics yet but eventually will.

dennis
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:41 PM   #7

Gloria

It sounds like djb might have your sollution. I would check the white ballance setting. The different settings there can change the color to a yellowish tint. What setting do you have that set on? Have you adjusted it for any different lighting? Also, what camera do you use?

Hope this helps
Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:31 PM   #8

Bill: first,I am a novice. I have a Sony Dig.P10.
I just went and learned how to find the white balance. My camera was set on auto WB.
My photos with the yellow were taken in a lg.room with flourescent lights...and pale yellow walls.My camera book says that the WB adjustment function may not work correctly even if the flourescent condition is selected. I will take my camera back to this room and experiment by turning on the flouresent icon. I Just want to see what happens. I feel I should leave my camera set on AUTO.
We go on vacation next week and I just hope it will be set okay. I predict most of my pics to be taken outside anyway. How does anyone remember all of the possible settings available?? I just want to point and click and hope for the best. I am willing to change the modes if I understand how to do it....but when you are out sightseeing, reading a map,etc.etc with no time to quick read the manual. ha ha.
I still cannot attach a picture here. My pictures are on my hard drive or on a CD so I don't know how to attach a photo here from my hard drive. It seems to only accept a URL......any thoughts on this matter?
thanks.
gloria :lol:
Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:35 PM   #9
djb

Gloria, flourescent lights and yellow walls seems to be the problem. as for posting a pic from a cd or disk, i haven't a clue. the color on your yellow pics can probably be sorrected in post proceesing with a photoeditor.

dennis
Old Aug 26, 2003, 9:48 PM   #10

Gloria

Its ok to be a novice, we are all still learning things about how to take pics with our cameras. Even though I have been shooting digital for 3 years now, I still get bad pics. I still have features in my camera that I still need to understand.

For taking images right now, I would recomend keeping your camera set to the auto WB for your trip. You can play with the settings after you get back. Your camera will be great for your trip, just shoot away and have fun. Would like to see some images when you get back!!!

As for this pale yellow room, it sounds like it might be difficult to get an accurate image right off the bat. The best thing to do is try the different white ballance settings that are preset in the camera. Did the walls appear to be white or a different yellow than what they should be? Your camera might of been "hunting" for a white and misread the colors. Even my 717 has done this. I have seen others do this too. The P10 is a good camera, as my one friend just bought it and loves it. I have seen some of his images, and they are very nice.

To help your understanding of white balance, you might want to read an article in the Sept. 2003 Outdoor Photographer. They go over this, and help how to use it outdoors.

You might want to invest in a good photo editing software package. For someone just starting out, the JASC Paint Shop Pro is good. It is around $100 at stores, less online. It is user-friendly, as I have used it. This software should be able to fix this problem.

Hope this helps you out. I hope you have a good time on your trip and get some great shots!!!

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote