Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Lost photos that were saved on CD

sorry about all the questions;
yesterday I turned on Image Station to downloand my memory stick and I usually have the setting set to send photos to my E drive to save to a CD.
Well, before I knew it I seemed to have lost all the previous stored photos on that CD. The title of the CD no longer exists and says that I am not allowed to save to this CD. What did I do wrong? Can I recover those lost saved photos ? When I go to my computer and click on E.....I am told I am not allowed to access this file.
Should I use a new CD everytime I download photos to a CD? I don't want to risk losing all my photos again. If I could just understand what I did wrong for this to happen. I have been downloading to CD for 2 weeks now and never a problem.
Oh well.....live and learn.
thanks for your comments.
gloria
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:27 PM   #2

Gloria,

DONT TRUST CD's! They are more fragile than most people think. You should simply be sending your photos to your hard drive. Then, when you have enough photos to fill up a CD, burn them to the disk, all at once. Once that is done, the disc is "closed" and nothing else can be written to it. Still, I would keep the disc as a backup and NOT delete the pictures from your hard drive. If in the future you upgrade to a new computer, take the discs and copy all the pictures to the new computers hard drive.

Just my suggestion. I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:38 PM   #3

Thanks Darrell for your reply.
It sure was an eye opening experience and lucky for me my photos were not that valulable.

I am still wondering how I can try to figure out if I can retrieve anything on the CD.

Hope it was a lesson to all that we shall not trust CD's any longer....

thanks so much
Gloria
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:46 PM   #4

It's not that all CD's are bad, I make my living with them and I see their negative side. I'm sure there is something on your disc. If your not much of a computer person, have someone else check the disc for you.
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:13 PM   #5

Gloria - I had a similar problem after I 'upgraded' (hollow laugh) to Windows XP. Have you just changed your computer program to Windows XP? With Windows XP, my H.P. CD burner could not be persuaded to work properly, even though I'd downloaded new drivers for it, that were supposed to be specifically for Windows XP. So, I've gone back to my earlier version of Windows - and now the CD burner works fine again.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 8:46 PM   #6

I always copy my pictures to my hard drive first, and then back up to CD.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:40 PM   #7

Hi!
Which brand of Cd do yuo use to back up Photos to CD?
Love, Andrea
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:38 PM   #8

Default Lost Photos

It sounds like they may be gone, if it is a re-writable cd, which I don't recommend to use for backing up at all. If it is a regular CD-R, then they may still be on the CD. Try to find a Drive recovery program, like Easyrecovery, or some other program. I've used it to recover pictures after a complete drive reformat. I'm not sure if it will work on Cd's though. Usually you can get a demo version to see if it will work.
Good Luck,

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote