Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1

Is the sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens a match to the Sony Cybershot DSC R1
I tried to find out if these two are campatible but ......

amateuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:07 PM   #2
Administrator

No.

The Sony DSC-R1 is not an interchangeable lens camera model, and that lens is designed for a camera that has removable lenses.

But, even if you go to a DSLR model that has interchangeable lenses (for example, a Sony DSLR-A100 or Sony DSLR-A700 in the Sony lineup), you need to make sure the lens is designed to work with it's lens mount system.

That Sigma lens is available for Sigma, Nikon, Pentax, Sony (same lens mount as Konica Minolta models) and Canon DSLRs

But, they all use a physically different lens mount (there are multiple versions of the same lens, with different lens mounts built in).

So, you need to make sure you order the correct version of the lens to match the camera you want to use it with.

See the listings for this lens at B&H for examples (they have separate listings for this lens for multiple camera brands). You can't use a lens designed for one lens mount on a different one (at least not without an adapter, and those can cause complications like loss of Autofocus, and more). So, you can't buy one intended for a Nikon DSLR and mount it on a Canon or Sony DSLR.

Sigma 10-20mm listings at B&H

But, again, the Sony DSC-R1 is not designed to use these types of lenses anyway (it's a fixed lens type camera, not an camera type that uses interchangeable lenses like typical DSLR models would use).

You can get some "add on" type lenses for the DSC-R1 (that attach to the front of the existing lens). But, that Sigma lens is designed for an interchangle lens type camera system (a DSLR model from Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony/Konica Minolta), not a model with a permanently attached lens like the Sony DSC-R1.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

thanks for your adequate reaction. I shall lead my choise away from the DSC R1 as I anticipate great fun from the sigma.

amateuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 4:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Do you already have one of these lenses? If so, you'll only be able to use it on the camera brand it was designed for (as per my previous post).

If not, it's available for Pentax, Sigma, Nikon, Sony, Konica Minolta, and Canon DSLR models.

So, you may want to start a thread in our What Camera Should I Buy Forum to help you narrow down your choices in a camera capable of using this lens. I'd make sure to give information about your budget, types of photos you like to take and the conditions you like to take them in for best responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote