Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:47 PM   #1

Alright so im slightly new to the digital photography world. I recently (almost 2 mo. ago) bought a sony dsc H7 as my first dig cam. My main purpose at the moment it capturing memories at family events and things of that nature. However, ive also been taking quite a few pictures of sporting events (soccer and hockey). I fully unsderstand that this lens will in no way replace a good lens and dslr combo, but for now i am hoping it will help me out. But to get to my question, the lens says that it is 1.7x magnification, does that mean that it will increas my 15x zoom lens to a 25.5x zoom lens. Also, i understand that you must spend good money for good glass, so i would be purchasing the sony brand lens. So at a zoom of supposedly 25.5x what would be the IQ with the added zoom. If i have not explained myself well enough please feel free to ask questions as i would appreciate any info or comments those with knowledge and experience on this board have.

Thanx StoneAge
StoneAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

I have one for my H5 and I don't ever leave with out it. Sorry not that knowledgeable about the tech. stuff.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:40 PM   #3

x15 is only a marketing term, it really only means the longest focal length (full zoom) divided by the shortest (wide end) is a ratio of 15

Eg the lens is in 35mm equivalent terms, 31 mm - 465 mm , and 465/31 is 15.

Adding a x1.7 tcon will give you the equivalent range of 31x1.7 - 465x1.7 eg 52.7-790.5 which is still a ratio of x15.

So both the camera with and without tcon will still be x15, which is why these terms for superzooms etc are not really useful, since a ratio does not tell you the reach of a lens, just the ratio between the tele and wide end.

However with the tcon full zoom you will get youcloser, 791mm eq vs 465mm equivalent.

In actuality you will not be able to use the full wide angle without showing the inside of the tc ie you will be looking down a tube, so you will probably have to start partway into the zoom.

This shows my H1 with a x1.7 tcon atwideso you can visualise what i mean.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the tech info.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:26 PM   #5

Thanks to bouth of you. I greatly apprecikate your quick responses as i was considering using this item as a christmas gift idea. Also there seems to be little info on the web to do with this subject.
StoneAge is offline   Reply With Quote