Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:53 PM   #1

Just got a new Sony T200 to replace an aging Casio Exilim S600 and snapped some late night, indoor photos. Wow are they awful. So noisy, blurry...my iphone takes much better photos.

did some research and it looks like the auto iso setting of the camera is pretty bad and it is taking some of these indoor shots at iso800 which makes it really blurry (see the diff between the Sony T200 and a Canon: http://picasaweb.google.com/JGFriedman/TestPhotos)

when i manually set the ISO to something lower it gets better but then they are pretty dark photos. Again, they are better but nowhere near as good as my canon 870IS. they are almost so bad I think there is something wrong with this specific camera.

Anybody else have these problems or were able to fix them? the whole point of a point n' shoot is not to mess with ISO settings when u want to take a quick photo indoors.
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:19 AM   #2

I had a T1 and it did the same thing, it took great photos in good lighting but anything in low light was crap. If you have something that you could use as a fill light it would help the camera out.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:56 AM   #3

i'm surprised that this is acceptable to people/Sony. So far, I have not been able to take a quality indoor photo.

annoying...don't know what to do now. Keep my old Casio S600, keep the canon 870IS, or keep the Sony but never take a shot indoors...
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:33 AM   #4

I'm not too familiar with the picture quality of the T200, but I have a T100 and aside from some high ISO noise and a little loss of detail from the noise reduction, it takes very good pictures. I would think the T200 would be very similar since it uses the same lens and CCD.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:43 AM   #5

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it? Its not that its acceptable to us it all depends on your camera needs and what you shoot. There good cameras just not in low light. I sometimes miss my T1 for just a quick shot here and there. I would look into finding a older used or new if you can find one H2 or H5.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:07 AM   #6

I paid $350 for it shipped which was $50 more than the canon 870IS.

This will mainly be a night camera (parties, clubs, etc) but it's nice to be able to snap a quick picture in my apt as well.

I have had a fair amount of digital cameras but this one is just very disappointing. I have uploaded some more photos of the T200 here: http://picasaweb.google.com/JGFriedman/TestPhotos

Maybe i have been spoiled with my 2 year old casio S600...but it definitely seems like i'm missing something.

thanks for all the responses!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:09 PM   #7

I see what you mean but there could be alot of factors as well. Camera shake and the settings on the camera.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:39 PM   #8

everything is set to auto with steadyshot ON. Tried taking some pics with steadyshot off just to test.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:36 PM   #9

still pretty bad photos. Maybe i got a lemon, not sure.

i found a CNET review that said photos got awful over iso 400 which is what is happening. bummer...i really, really wanted to like this camera
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:00 PM   #10

here's some photos from a review of the T200: http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-revi...y%20DSC%20T200

and they look pretty darn good. I mean, at the very least acceptable. Maybe I did just get a lemon...