Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 13, 2003, 5:21 PM   #1

Default F717 Filter Experiences

Hi!
I just got a F717 in the Boston area, and took it for a test shoot.
Before I go further I wanted to get a UV filter to protect the lens.

My first question is: will the UV filter interfere with the lasers, the IR night vision elements, or any other functionality of the DSC-F717?

Second question: How do UV filters stack up by brand. Any personal experiences out there?

Do YOU keep a filter on your F717 at all times? If so, which one?

All the best.

-David G.R.
David G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2003, 8:03 PM   #2

David

A UV filter would be a good idea to protect your lens. During most shooing, the UV filter will not interfer with the camera. I have noticed that at night, with nightshot on, it does have some trouble. It appears that the laser/IR system bounces off and back into the camera with the filter on. During the day, I have not seen an problems with the filter on.

When i bought my camera, the guy was telling me the difference between some the of different brands. He mentioned some the cheaper/lesser made filters will cause some slight image lose/distortion on the edges. Why spend the money on a camera with the great Zeiss lens system, then put a cheap piece of glass infront of them.

I bought the B&W multi-coated UV filter for mine. These filters are stone ground for flatness. They are high quality pieces. Some other good ones are Hellopan (Zeiss glass) and Hoya.

I keep the UV one on all the time, except where I see the night problem show up.

Just to let you know, the camera takes a 58 mm thread filter. You do have a lot of choices in brands, types, and quality of filters.

Hope this helps
Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 8:18 PM   #3

I have read that you should never use the UV filter if possible. That it does have a tendency to reduce image quality. I personally cannot notice any difference in the pictures that I have taken. I did by Sony's filter kit which came with the UV and Polarize filter. But....after thinking about it, it does seem to make a little bit of sense. You are adding one additional lens if front of the main lens. So I decide that I would leave the UV filter on at all times for storage and general picture taking (testing shots etc...) but will now take if off for photos that I would like to keep and touch up afterwards. So what I did is purchased the lens hood. So that I still have some type of lens protection when the UV filter is off. Also, you can even use additional filters with the lens hood on!!! Here is a picture of the hood.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:46 AM   #4

I have a 58mm UV filter (from my original film SLR lens) that fits my F717, but I stopped using it, because it makes the lens cap difficult to put on. The metal ring surrounding the glass on the filter doesn't stick out far enough for the lens cap to really engage. Although, I suppose I could leave that filter on and then leave the lens cap off more...

Even if you do leave a UV filter on all the time, you should probably take it off if you want to use a circular polarizer. Stacking a polarizer on top of a UV filter can sometimes cause vignetting (the corners of the picture turn dark). I don't know if the F717's lens has a wide enough field of view to have that problem. I got vignetting with my SLR when I used a UV filter with a polarizer, but that was 28mm (the F717 is equivalent to 38mm at full wide angle).
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 3:33 PM   #5

I appreciate your input guys! It was timely and I feel quite informative for me.

Are there shops you liked better than others when it came to F717/58mm stuff?

On the lens issue, i got a small spot on it, and am deciding wether to clean it or let it be.
While taking pictures of my cat I got too close and touched her nose or wiskers with the lens. I got two 1mm by 1mm spots on my brand new lens. They are very faint, and can be seen only while holding the camera at certain angles.

Will this kind of thing degrade the lens over time?

Do people here clean their lenses, particularly the F717?

By the way, I took my memory stick pro to the store and took pictures with the display F717, and V1 cameras. They were mostly in auto mode. Both cameras gave me a blurry result! I think its either my poor photography or effects of all the fingerprints and what-not on the lenses.

-David G.R.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:43 PM   #6

Hi Guys.
Any experiences with Ritz camera store brands? (Quantaray)
For Polarizers and neutral density I am considering Ritz.
-David
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:49 AM   #7

I have a Quantaray circular polarizer from Ritz for my F717. I don't have any basis for comparison, other than the Tiffen circular polizer I have on my film SLR. It seems to do a better job of darkening blue sky, but it's a different camera, lens, and medium, so it's not really a fair comparison...
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:22 PM   #8

I never use one on mine or my previous camera. As long as you keep the cap on when not using it you shouldh't have a problem. But many prefer to use it and if I were on a beach with blowing sand or in woods with hanging limbs I would use one if I had one.
Digidiva100 is offline   Reply With Quote