Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 14, 2003, 3:49 PM   #1

Default What not to do to your F717 (or other camera)

Sony manual has points listed here-and-there about what not to do with your F717.
I think it would be good to have collect the experiences and warnings into one place.

Here are the examples I found:

on page 56 in the manual it says "Do not use the NightShot function in bright places (e.g. outdoors in the daytime). This may cause your camera to malfunction.

is the warned malfunctioning temporary or permanent? Any experiences?

on p.55 in "shooting in the dark" section it says that: "Filters (not supplied) may block the infrared ray"

As with new car or a tech item i come to the conclusion its best to put it through its paces while its under warranty and/or return policy. To test all its features and such.

Consider protecting the lens before taking macroshots of subjects that can stain the lens (animal faces, water, etc.)

David G.R.
David G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2003, 1:22 PM   #2

I believe there is a real danger of permanent damage to the sensor if you point the lens at the sun - especially in Nightshot/Nightframing mode.

Regards
Michael
bodstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:05 AM   #3

I feel that serious damage to the camera can be downgraded if we take precautions. Can people share their experiences shooting on the beach, in the snow, and in other interesting conditions.
All experiences are welcome, particularly the salt water and falling snow-rain fasinate me
If convenient, I think it would be very beneficial to tell it in a story style.
"I arrived...it was windy....It started to rain..."

To Michael. In what way do you think the serious damage from the sun would be showing up?

all the best.

David.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 4:36 PM   #4

Guys.
If anyone worked by the ocean or during rainstorms, let me know what observations you made about camera and hazardous conditions.
-David.