Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:04 PM   #1

I just bought a DSC-H& and for the first time, I removed the battery to charge it. When I put the battery back in and turn the camera on, it powers up in initialization mode and all of my settings including date and time are gone.

I set the date and time and a few basic camera settings, take a few shots then turn if off and remove the battery for only a few seconds and then put it back in and power it up. Same problem...date and time and all settings are gone.

I pull out my wife's DSC-W80 and it does not have this problem when I test it in the same manner.

Sony chat and phone support say this is normal, but I have a very hard time believing that as I have never had this problem before with any Sony camera.

Can someone with a DSC-H7 confirm that this is "normal"? Any help is appreciated!
jdebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:39 PM   #2

The main battery pack charges the memory back-up battery when it is in the camera. Try leaving a charged battery in the camera for a day or two then remove it for a little while and see if the settings hold. If it resets again then there is a problem with the back-up battery.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:42 PM   #3

That's what I thought, but I am not sure how the backup battery is bad when the main battery wasn't fully depleted (AFAIK). I was just charging it so I can use it a lot tomorrow.

I will give it a try. Do you have a DSC-H7? I am only asking in case I have to return it, I want solid proof to back up the idea that it is definitely not normal for this camera.

Thank you!:-)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:40 PM   #4

I have the H1 and it does notbehave like yours. I haven't left the camera w/o batteries for too long but I can certainly replace them w/o loosing the settings. So, since I do not have the H7, I can't say whether this is normal behavior or your camera has a problem. But, there is an easy way to find out. Take a fresh set of batteries to a local camera store and test on their floor sample. Good luck.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5

Despite the fact that Sony's online chat support and phone support claim that it is "normal", it is indeed not normal. I exchanged the camera for another of the exact same model from the exact same store, and it does not have the problem, just as I thought.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.