Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:02 PM   #11

I had the K100D (Nikon D40 prior to that), sold it last year and bought the Oly E510. Although Irecognizethe advantages ofSLRs over P&S, I think they alsohavetheir negatives, such as high cost (speciallywhen it comes to lenses and let's face it, very few people stick to the kit lens only), large body size (although there are very compact models out there like the Oly E410/420), multiple lenses to carry aroundin order to obtain good FL coverage, sensor dust problems, many brands and/or models still don't have IS or IS is on the lens increasing its cost, and the list goes on and on.I personally don't think the K100 has a good OVF when compared to the D40 or even the E510 (which has a small OVF but it's crystal clear). These three models I mentioned all have limited DR, weak built-in flash,..I think that even though the R1 is considered P&S, in many areas it surpasses entry level DSLRs.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:01 PM   #12
TC3

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I had the K100D (Nikon D40 prior to that), sold it last year and bought the Oly E510. Although Irecognizethe advantages ofSLRs over P&S, I think they alsohavetheir negatives, such as high cost (speciallywhen it comes to lenses and let's face it, very few people stick to the kit lens only), large body size (although there are very compact models out there like the Oly E410/420), multiple lenses to carry aroundin order to obtain good FL coverage, sensor dust problems, many brands and/or models still don't have IS or IS is on the lens increasing its cost, and the list goes on and on.I personally don't think the K100 has a good OVF when compared to the D40 or even the E510 (which has a small OVF but it's crystal clear). These three models I mentioned all have limited DR, weak built-in flash,..I think that even though the R1 is considered P&S, in many areas it surpasses entry level DSLRs

I have had the k100d for 20 months. It has very good dynamic range (many shots i posted on dpreview show this) and the built in flash does very well for what it is. Nothing wrong with the viewfinder either in my opinion.

I guess at the end of the day it all comes down on what you want from your camera. I certainly could never give up my dslr for a prosumer cam because of the severe limitations. Then again it all depends what sort of shooting you like to do and i do agree that a prosumer cam can have advantage is some areas. For me it is all about image quality. I shoot hand held low light pics at iso 1600 with very fast glass and get excellent results that no prosumer can match inmy opinion.

It is all about compromise and personnel choice. In an ideal world i would own a decent camera from all the different types ie. point and shoot, prosumer etc.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:35 PM   #13

Hi TC3,

sorry, I just saw that your nick is TC3, not TCR.

Thanks for the anwer. Please don't hesitate, I'm not looking for some discussions about if this or that machine is a pro-tool, in fact.

I'm interested how a pro-tool comes to the point to be a pro-tool, and in fact, if we talk about pros (professionals), then this is the starting point for it all.

Maybe I should have started with another thread here in this Forum, and should have waited for some months until saying 'R1=Pro-tool'. This would have made it easier, because most of readers would have known more about the background.

I make my living with photography. And some people say (bad tongues, we say in Spain) that I do that very well. I don't know if this is enough to consider the machines that perform well under my hands, as pro-tools.

I haven't seen any official ranking, that certifies only certain, and normally scarily expensive cameras and glasses, as pro-tools.

So maybe I'm right when I say that this machine is state-of-the-art, it is a pro-tool and should be considered as that.

I can fully understand what you say, because I'm photographer since my mother, who was photographer, went out of the studio for 'some hours to have my niƱo born'. I have grown up playing around with old agfa and kodak box-cameras, folding cameras and the lived with Hassies and Pentax my years in a lot of places. When I saw somebody turn up with a pocket camera, I wouldn't consider (then) these cameras as pro-tools, but would defend my choice as, at least, the most expensive and heavyweight.

Now I've become wiser, or I'm a genious. Wiser, because I can attend all my clients, I have an agenda with the next three or four months with no chance for anyone to have a cup of coffee with me, and the last three projects I worked on are Class A, highest level possible. All that with all in all 5000 euros, if we count all the R1's, with all their accesories, flashes and tripods.

Wiser, because it's fun to do the jobs. Wiser, because these machines never failed in any job, never let me down. No dust. No maintainance. Get the project, go to the place, take the shots, deliver and get paid.

Before, I wasn't wise. My garment would cost always a lot more than I would earn in a task. I had a lot of problems with machines that would fail in the worst of the moments. And if they worked, still I had to struggle the double or more.

Or that, or I'm just a genious and didn't know. And this is impossible, so ... R1 is a pro-tool, no doubt at all. High class. Very close to actual medium format digital machines.

Would have been lovely with a 39MP back. And this is the only thing I miss.

Hope you can understand my love to this machine. May make me stupid, look stupid and say stupid things.

Kind regards and thanks,

Miguel
Furlock is offline   Reply With Quote