Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:50 AM   #1

Overall IQ should improve compared to H9, hopefully, due to lesser noise reduction and lesser JPEG compression. The results are going to be more predictable. No more watercolor effect? Yahoo!

I am expecting slightly softer corners compared to H9 at wide angle and about the same or slightly greater amount of purple fringing at tele-zoom, due to increase in sensor size and pixel count. I hope Sony engineers improved optics and I am wrong in my prediction. Maybe, that's the secret behind the extra weight?

Focusing speed and accuracy may improve, but not dramatically as some would expect. They were already pretty good in H9 for this class of camera.
Most of firmware bugs and imperfections will go away (e.g. sports mode).

Menus and user interface will improve. They are going to be less cluttered and more intuitive with better clicks-to-action control. Function Guide seems to be designed to achieve that.

Base ISO will be targeted at ISO 200 rather than 400 with flash. Flash recycling time may increase and battery life may decrease when flash is used. But, average battery life will remain about the same.

Dynamic range is going to remain about the same. Don;t expect magic from DRO, though.

But, unless Sony had improved their sensors technology dramatically, I am expecting to see noise, noise, and even more noise. Even at the ower ISOs. At least, there is a better way to control NR in-camera now. ;-)
High Sensitivity (ISO 3200) Mode is going to be almost useless.
Sony Double Anti-Blur Solution results are going to be pretty noisy.

Smearing of moving subjects in moderate light even with flash, while the background is clear and detailed will not surprise me.

Generally speaking, this should be a decent daylight ultra-zoom. But, adequate moderate to low light performance is going to remain a desirable feature.

Verdict: DPReview may rate H50 as "Recommended" or even "Highly recommended", however, I really doubt it. But, it should be definitely an improvement from H9's "Above Average" rating.

Disclaimer: It is solely my personal opinion and, therefore, it is highly subjective. We shall wait and see how it will perform and hope for best!

Here is a pretty nice Sony H50 info page: http://www.***************/Digital_Ca...ny/dsc-h50.php
karl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:13 AM   #2

I hope it turns out to be a nice camera.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3

Some thoughts on the H-50 after reading your post.

First of all DPR, well, I wonder why they seem so bored with Sony now that they are in the DSLR market competing with Nikon, but thats a different coversation over coffee .

I think ergonomics, User Interface, Chromatic Abberations, and resolution (slightly) will be increased.

The NR will have more control, but Sony ultimately retains that without having an "off" setting, so thats an improvement (in a way, cuz sony's NR is spot on in my opinion).

It is more handsome than the previous H Series.

Sony has listened to the gripes (as they always do) and made necessary changes.

I am interested in this camera personally

Should be interesting, and I like your predictions.

Carl Garrard

rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:10 PM   #4

Let all of us honestly face the fact that the Sony H-9 (I have two of them!) was a reallya fantasticbust. I do think that is really true, do you? I would like to think that Sony, with more than a little effort,can honestly get their act together. But perhaps they cannot recover. Most folks think they can. But quite honestly, I am seriously beginning to wonder if they can. Yes, the Sony H-3 is a small, but good start. But it is also only a very small beginning as well.

Ceratainly, the Sony H-50 will bethe first chance that Sony has to seecan get past their goof on the H-9. Perhaps, the H-10, a secondary development of the H-3,might yield some measurable results, but then that is questionable as well.

Only time will really honestly tell the real tale! I like Sony Cameras, so I reamain very hopeful an enthusiatic!

Pease don't let us down Sony!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:07 AM   #5

I must be that only person that actually likes the H9 for what it can do that is different from my other UZs.The flash range is great...and it actually cycles quickly...better that my H5 that was a snail in this regard. It has more zoom that I actually needed in some circustances such as my daughters' high school graduation. I get far better resutls with Sony's implementation of face detection that my Pany FZ18. Sony's face detection really works!.. Love the large articuared LCD. It's been a great camera for SciFi conventions and zoos. Love the HDMI output. But I never expected the IQ to equal a DSLR....or make wall size prints with the photos. (I like it far better than my Pany FZ18.) It's a P&S and can't replace DSLR kits that cost thousands more. Shouldn't be expected to....

Carl,

As for DPR, I still believe that there was some organized trolling to knock the camera and any positive users down. Cripes...the H50 is not even out yet and the same gang (DSLR trolls) are licking their lips and already bashing and insulting anyone who has dared to pre-order the camera.Very unpleasant Forum, :-(

That said, I plan buying an H50 because I have enjoyed my H9. And my Sony Alpha 350 just arrived yesterday from CC, and will join my Olympus E510 as my forray into DSLRs. I feel a good ultrazoom and a good DSLRcan compliment each other. At least for me.

I enjoyed your review of the 350 on the AlphaMountWorld website.

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:04 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Let all of us honestly face the fact that the Sony H-9 (I have two of them!) was a reallya fantasticbust. I do think that is really true, do you? Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah,

Got a bit tired of my D300, etc., and took my H9 out the last few days.

Also had my small tripod for self portraits.

I forgot just how adaptable the H9 is to all kinds of photography.

The first 28 images are from my H9:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickphoto123/

I just may upgrade to the H50. I love my R-1 but what I can do with my H9 makes it more effective ( not regarding image quality ) to carry light and capture images.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:25 AM   #7

Chrystie, I was interested in your post about the new Sony H50., and the Pana FZ18.

I'm looking at buying a superzoom, but just can't decide. I'm hoping that the Sony may be the one.

My preference at the moment is the Canon S5IS, but a lot of reviewers are a bit indifferent to it, good as it is. It is also nearly a year old. I had a good look at one the other day and it seemed very good-zooming was excellent, it felt good and the external controls were a bonus. But the LCD screen was a bit small, and I guess overall I was a bit unconvinced. Maybe if it was a bit cheaper?

Are you saying that the FZ18 is disappointing? That was also on the short list, but i really want a swivelling LCD.

Do you know if the Sony LCD can be used to take self portraits? My Canon A610 can be used in that way, and it's quite handy.

I'm not a camera fanatic, just want a good, easy to use camera that will be used mostly as a P&S by the family. Must have good macro and video too.
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:56 AM   #8

forester wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if the Sony LCD can be used to take self portraits? My Canon A610 can be used in that way, and it's quite handy.

I'm not a camera fanatic, just want a good, easy to use camera that will be used mostly as a P&S by the family. Must have good macro and video too.
Hi Forester, Yes it can, see my post and image link above. In fact it comes with a wireless remote.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:03 AM   #9

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
forester wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Forester, Yes it can, see my post and image link above. In fact it comes with a wireless remote.

Nicholas
Quote:
hi Nicholas, some really great shots there. My query on the flip LCD was more about whether you can hold the camera in your hand, and take a photo of yourself, using the flip screen to line yourself us. The Canon flips out 180 degrees to the side, then can be reversed so you can see your image.
Quote:

forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:53 PM   #10

forester wrote:
Quote:
Chrystie, I was interested in your post about the new Sony H50., and the Pana FZ18.

I'm looking at buying a superzoom, but just can't decide. I'm hoping that the Sony may be the one.

Of my FZ18 and the H9, I prefer the H9. The H9 has better flash range and a superrior bigger and tilting LCD. I also much prefer the way Sony implemeted the Face Detection too.

The FZ18 is a physically smaller camera and thus might be better if you plan on a lot of traveling.

Both take good pictures (IMHO). I have both P&S and DSLRs and use both. But there is something to be said for the P&S all in one package as far as portability and ease of use. I'm not a pixel peeper and unless you plan to print wall size posters or analyze every blade of grass in the pictures, I like both ultrazooms.

My husband likes boththe FZ20 and FZ30. I think the FZ50 might still be available if you want a more "DSLRtype" ultrazoom.

One other point, the FZ18 shoots RAW and the H9 doesn't. Me..I just shoot jpegs even with mt DSLRS. Don't have time to post process RAW. If a camera can't take a decent picture without manipulating the daylights out of it, I don't want that camera.

Don't have any H9 pics to share, but i took this last weekend with my Sony alpha 350.

Chrystie
Attached Images

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote